No announcement yet.

Ancestry search issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, we are approaching it from a different directions. I don't have any trees on Ancestry. I just use the Home or Search page to search on Ancestry. Sorry, can't offer any more advice.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
      Ah, we are approaching it from a different directions. I don't have any trees on Ancestry. I just use the Home or Search page to search on Ancestry. Sorry, can't offer any more advice.
      No, that's fine Phil, I do appreciate all of the help I have had today.

and I have found a tree that may have some info.. I'm going to contact the owner and see if he can offer any assistance
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-06-21, 17:47.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I do find if I filter to a record set, it will change various details, then when go back to all records I have lost lots of important search criteria and have to start again. I was having a bit of a problem the other day with place names, and thought I was being a numpty so maybe they have changed.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I usually put the place name in the "keyword" box. I find it's more accurate. However, ancestry's search is literally the worst. FMP is by far superior.

Comment

Thanks cbcarolyn and kylejustin I have used Ancestry for almost 20years and don't usually have an issue with searching, just this mallarky where you type in a place name and it reverts back to county that is frustrating!..

I might have found Elizabeth after 1871.... but if it is her then she died in 1877. I need the parish records to confirm it is her though. [and I wouldn't have found this info if it wasn't for keldon as he found the tree!]
            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

Maybe popup isn't a good word - it's more of a pop down LOL. At the main search page, enter the placename as you want it and ignore the fact it says there are no matches found. Keep typing and by the time you have got to Nott, a window appears below the line with more choices. They are both there but oddly there is a Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottoway County, Virginia, USA in between them which is out of alphabetical order LOL

Capture3.JPG
              i don't get why if selected uk records it gives all this either, was it always like this? I didn't think so.

I am with you and think they have changed things and it is now worse.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

i don't get why if selected uk records it gives all this either, was it always like this? I didn't think so.

I am with you and think they have changed things and it is now worse.
                I think the place name auto fill is always worldwide as it is higher up the search page than the choose records search area which is the last thing to do. It would be very helpful if you could nip down and set geographical area and then only get autofill places in that part of the world. As they are a USA company, places across the pond are always more prominent I think.

Comment

I can't remember if the place names also were non UK I don't think that they were, But I suppose it is something that we'll have to get used to and put up with it if we want to continue using Ancestry.

I'm sure that we'll work out a workaround, just an extra faff we don't need!.. if it ain't broke don't fix it!!
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                    There is also another anomoly I can find a birth Ref for OND 1851 for Elizabeth Brown MMN Waters [which is right] BUT she appears on the 1851 census.. how so?

On the 1851 she is listed as Elizabeth W Brown, b.1850 aged 1 on census.. Am I missing something here? I can't find a birth but I'm going to look for a death now.
                    I think the Elizabeth W Brown 1, daughter, is an error on the part of the enumerator (perhaps he couldn't understand his own writing when writing it up) and that it should in fact be Eli Brown, 1, son!!! Eli Brown's birth reg'd Dec.1849, mmn Waters but he didn't die until Sept.qtr.1856. There is no sign of Eli anywhere in 1851 and, as we know, Elizabeth wasn't born until late 1851 so wouldn't be on this census. That's my theory anyway.

My other theory is that Elizabeth Brown married Samuel Taylor 25/12/1872 Hucknall Torkard (in 1861 she was with family in H.T.), Her brother Samuel Brown was married and in Hucknall Torkard 1881) - she had 2 daughters Lizzie Ann Selina born 1874 and Florence Helen Jane in 1877 - and died 1877 or 1878 (can't remember which now). In 1881 with their paternal grandparents.

Annette

Comment

Originally posted by annette.humphreys View Post

I think the Elizabeth W Brown 1, daughter, is an error on the part of the enumerator (perhaps he couldn't understand his own writing when writing it up) and that it should in fact be Eli Brown, 1, son!!! Eli Brown's birth reg'd Dec.1849, mmn Waters but he didn't die until Sept.qtr.1856. There is no sign of Eli anywhere in 1851 and, as we know, Elizabeth wasn't born until late 1851 so wouldn't be on this census. That's my theory anyway.

My other theory is that Elizabeth Brown married Samuel Taylor 25/12/1872 Hucknall Torkard (in 1861 she was with family in H.T.), Her brother Samuel Brown was married and in Hucknall Torkard 1881) - she had 2 daughters Lizzie Ann Selina born 1874 and Florence Helen Jane in 1877 - and died 1877 or 1878 (can't remember which now). In 1881 with their paternal grandparents.

Annette
                      Blimey thank you Annette! things have been a bit mental here so didn't even think of looking for a SON... that may well be the clincher!
                      I wonder if he was incapacitated in some way? a sickly child?

Re Elizabeth I'm agreeing with you on that point, I have the marriage and date BUT what I don't have is fathers names/occupations. I have been in touch with a gentleman that has this marriage in a tree he did. I am waiting for the library to reopen its local studies section/microfiche reader, then I can check the marriage and get a printoff for 50p, much cheaper than a cert!... Florence Helen died young I believe. Lizzie was named in her fathers will when he died in 1923.

thank you so much for having a root around this issue it is very much appreciated.
                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                      X