Ancestry search issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry search issues?

I'm not sure if it's just me or if Ancestry have changed their algorithms but I'm finding it very difficult to find what I'm looking for...

I'll put in a POB say Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, name of person YOB and hit search............ everywhere else is coming up aside from where I specify, if I go back to the searchbox, it's changed to 'just' Nottinghamshire!!.. everytime I change it and search it reverts back to Nottinghamshire.

frustrated much!!!
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-06-21, 10:11.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Dunno, not been on it for a few days. What was the name and YOB? I’ll switch on and see what I get.
    At the bottom of the search page - have you got All Records search set or just UK and Ireland? Also are all the types of records ticked?

Comment

I get that sometimes, when it changes back to just the county, so annoying. I *think* what happens is that either they haven't got the place name in their list OR they haven't spelled it the same way that you have. Maybe try some hyphens? Or maybe search in general for KiA and see how they spell it out? I usually turn to FMP at this point and can often find what I am looking for.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        Dunno, not been on it for a few days. What was the name and YOB? I’ll switch on and see what I get.
        At the bottom of the search page - have you got All Records search set or just UK and Ireland? Also are all the types of records ticked?
        I was looking for Elizabeth Brown b.1851 Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, England. Just UK & Ireland GL.. and it should be All records too

I was getting this yesterday...

Ancestry.JPG

I'm trying to find her after the 1871 census, I appreciate that she may have married, but I've not even had any luck in connecting her with any marriage.. there is an Elizabeth Brown b.1854/6 also in Kirkby in Ashfield, she marries a John Pitchfork/d in 1873.. this is Elizabeths cousin. same as Elizabeth Brown b.1847 that married a BOND and then a BRACKNER also born in Kirkby in Ashfield.. also the other Elizabeths cousin...

I didn't alter ANY of the search criteria and no matter what I clicked on or changed yesterday it kept throwing up the deaths first [even though it should have been all categories!] and I don't like the lines now either.... quite why they have to mess about with it.. they ought to concentrate on getting more of their databases updated instead of some with 3 records in it!!!..

frustrated much!!
        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          I get that sometimes, when it changes back to just the county, so annoying. I *think* what happens is that either they haven't got the place name in their list OR they haven't spelled it the same way that you have. Maybe try some hyphens? Or maybe search in general for KiA and see how they spell it out? I usually turn to FMP at this point and can often find what I am looking for.

Anne
          KIA doesn't even come up as a place when you start typing.. it'll bring up LANCASHIRE... well, yes, I know there is a Kirkby there, I've also fired off a request to have Kirkby in Ashfield added and also Ashby de la Zouch........ which isn't in either... but you can have Ashby, De, La, Zouche..... or Ashby de la Launde [Lincolnshire!!]

If I don't get much joy with this then I'll be looking elsewhere for a sub next year, I do love Ancestry but by gosh they don't half muck you about!!
          Julie

Comment

There is also another anomoly I can find a birth Ref for OND 1851 for Elizabeth Brown MMN Waters [which is right] BUT she appears on the 1851 census.. how so?

On the 1851 she is listed as Elizabeth W Brown, b.1850 aged 1 on census.. Am I missing something here? I can't find a birth but I'm going to look for a death now.
            Julie

Comment

Using Windows 10 and Edge browser, I entered the name, yob, and place but it didn't like the full place but I kept typing and it came up in a popup below the place name line so I picked it and clicked search. This is what I got;

Capture.JPG

Comment

ahhh just found a death that looks likely aged 2yrs in 1851... am sure that the question is age last birthday? so that'd fit.. and then #2 Elizabeth born in OND same year?

it'd be tight if it is the right one, but it's the only one that looks right age wise. she died JFM 1851. 1851 census was taken the evening of 30th March, and March has 31days so she might have died a little before but the census was prefilled.. or died on the 31st and registered the same day. Just need to find a birth now...
                Last edited by Darksecretz; 02-06-21, 14:22.
                Julie

Comment

I noticed that the place had reverted to Nottinghamshire but just in case I couldn't see it all, I clicked edit search and got this;

Capture 2.JPG

I clicked search again to see what would happen and got the same 36 results as before.

UPDATE - However, if instead of clicking edit search from the page of search results, I use the back button on my browser, the full place name is still there in the main search page. I've tried in on my Macbook too and the same tings happened. Just Nottinghamshire showing if I press edit search but whole placename there if I use back button in browser.

I did spot in the placename choices that appear when keep on typing that there were two possibles to pick from. The first was Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England which only produces 32 results yet Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire produced 36 results.

Comment

So it's not just me then? I'm using W10 and Chrome, I don't get a popup though.... that's odd.
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      I noticed that the place had reverted to Nottinghamshire but just in case I couldn't see it all, I clicked edit search and got this;

Capture 2.JPG

I clicked search again to see what would happen and got the same 36 results as before.

UPDATE - However, if instead of clicking edit search from the page of search results, I use the back button on my browser, the full place name is still there in the main search page. I've tried in on my Macbook too and the same tings happened. Just Nottinghamshire showing if I press edit search but whole placename there if I use back button in browser.

I did spot in the placename choices that appear when keep on typing that there were two possibles to pick from. The first was Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England which only produces 32 results yet Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire produced 36 results.
                      Thanks GL it's just bonkers... I'm pretty cheesed off with the fact that it's changed I had flagged it up on twitter to AncestryUK they said that they've had some complaints about it and asked for my username etc.. so they could look into it.. but I haven't heard anything else!...
                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        So it's not just me then? I'm using W10 and Chrome, I don't get a popup though.... that's odd.
                        Maybe popup isn't a good word - it's more of a pop down LOL. At the main search page, enter the placename as you want it and ignore the fact it says there are no matches found. Keep typing and by the time you have got to Nott, a window appears below the line with more choices. They are both there but oddly there is a Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottoway County, Virginia, USA in between them which is out of alphabetical order LOL

Capture3.JPG

Comment

ahhh autofill... gotya
                          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                            ahhh autofill... gotya
                            I knew there'd be a proper name for it, I just couldn't think what it was

Comment

Oh FGS why is this so bloody difficult!...
                              ancestry2.JPG
                              Julie

Comment

BROWN, ELIZABETH MMN WATERS GRO Reference: 1850 M Quarter in PEMBROKE Volume 26 Page 702
                                BROWN, ELIZABETH MMN WATERS GRO Reference: 1851 D Quarter in BASFORD Volume 15 Page 484

these are the only two births I can see with MMN Waters at all. It's a flipping big coincidence if it isn't her!

Julie

Comment

I've come across similar 'blackholes' where the place name is not recognised. Putting just the first part of the place name sometimes work. In this case I put Kirkby and ignored the drop down selections and clicked> exact

Image1.jpg
                                  Phil
                                  historyhouse.co.uk
                                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Jeez it just gets better! thanks Phil.

I can't even replicate what you have done, I have smart matches turned on normally, but I have just turned them off, I still can't replicate it and get the results you have.
                                    Julie

Comment

Oh dear!

I searched from the Home page.
                                      Not sure how you turn on smart searches, so can't help you on that one.

image_21417.jpg
                                      Phil
                                      historyhouse.co.uk
                                      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I generally search from my tree on Ancestry, pick the person goto their facts page and search ancestry from there, if I already have them in the census in my tree then it puts them in smart searching so I know that I don't have to look for them as they are already in my tree. I find it very helpful.

Though Ancestry have done something which won't allow you to search for a specific POB.. it sure wasn't like this last week when I was using it.. and those horrible little lines/boxes weren't there either... a step backwards if you ask me.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X