Notts electoral rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notts electoral rolls

There were no rolls taken in England 1940-1944, is there any way that I can find a person possibly living at a specific address (which I know) during this period? The lady was in London in the 1939 Register and appears in the Blackpool Rolls from 1945 onwards, I believe that she may have been in Nottingham between these times but how can I confirm this?
    Thanks.

The occupant will usually have paid building rates (this was a local tax in England at that time) You could try a letter to the local authority specifying the name and the address, but whether you get a response depends on how helpful the employee dealing with it feels. But there are various circumstances when the person was not the rate payer, eg if she was a lodger.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Thanks webwiz, I will give that a go, the lady in question would have been a lodger, nothing ventured, nothing gained! I may get lucky.

Comment

Do Notts have an archive? I guess they would have rate records, or even the library, but guess not open. what about the newspapers?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks Carolyn, I am going to contact the Central Library and the Council, see how I go.

Comment

Working...
          X