Marriage dissolved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage dissolved

Not sure if I asked this before as cannot find it in the search button.
    Why would a marriage be dissolved? this couple were living together for years, then married and 2 years later that was dissolved but, they still lived together.
    And is there any way to get a record of why it was dissolved.
    This lady also had another marriage annulled? seems odd, I do know of all 4 of her marriages, and when they died.
    Thanks

This is from a modern day solicitor’s website so the final reason would not have applied in the past.

What is a void marriage?

A void marriage is void from the outset and may be treated by both parties as never having taken place at all without any need for a decree of nullity. But most parties will want to obtain a decree so that advantage may be taken of the court’s powers to resolve financial issues pursuant to the decree.

So, a void marriage is one where:
    • the parties are within the prohibited (by blood or marriage) degrees of relationship, e.g. father/daughter
    • either party is under the age of 16
    • the parties were married in a place not registered to perform the ceremony
    • either one of the parties was already lawfully married (bigamy) or civilly partnered
    What is a voidable marriage?

A marriage may only be voidable on the following grounds:
    • the marriage has not been consummated because of the incapacity of either party to consummate it
    • non consummation due to the wilful refusal of the respondent to do so
    • either party did not voluntarily or validly consent because of duress, lack of mental capacity, drugs or alcohol
    • at the time of the marriage the respondent was suffering from a venereal disease in a communicable form
    • at the time of the marriage the respondent was pregnant with another man’s child
    • an interim gender recognition certificate was issued to either party after the marriage

Comment

blimey, thanks , I know she wasn't already married , but have wondered about him, would there be any chance of finding out why it was dissolved?

Comment

"previous marriage dissolved" is just the standard wording used on a marriage register for someone who has been divorced.

If it was pre-1937 then the case papers, which will give reasons for the divorce should be at The National Archives (most are) , if after 1937 , then you can only get a copy of the decree absolute from the court service, which won't give any of the reasons - just that the divorce was granted on date/place.

An annulment is a different thing ( which effectively regards the marriage as never having happened) - but case papers for those also survive in the same collection at TNA.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

thanks Antony

Comment

Working...
          X