Family Heirlooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Heirlooms

As the story teller and family history researcher in my family, over the years I have been gifted many precious family items, some with a story to tell and others I think people were clearing out their lofts and decided I was a worthy cause!

One item however stands out from all the rest and that’s Great Uncle John’s Military ‘Button Stick’.

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2020...s-handed-down/

I wonder if anyone else has some precious items in their collections?

My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

I have a box of junk my grandparents kept. Great grandparents aluminum pots and pans (1970's), 1960's hair curlers, the military (WWII) boot polish brushes from my gran's brother.

on the other side i have a box of photos from 1860's-1960's of various bloodline families plus in laws, original wills (written at time of marriage, before kids), letters.

Comment

My 2 x great-grandfather Wilhelm Friedrich Haller, born in 1852 in Kleinbottwar, Württemberg was a Cabinet Maker. He & his wife & her surviving siblings emigrated to Queensland in 1888.
      When my grandparents were married in 1934 his wedding gift was a set of wooden palm stands he had designed & crafted himself.

When my grandparents died I was lucky enough to receive one of the stands, when my mother & aunts were sorting everything out, as well as several family photos. I also have an old birthday book which belonged to my paternal grandmother, which was extremely useful when I first started researching.

That’s wonderful Vivian, to have something that has been crafted and made by the hand of one your ancestors must be very special indeed.
      Last edited by Paulc; 27-05-21, 07:52.

Comment

My Gt. Grandfather was a blacksmith and artesian well engineer. His appentice pieces are still in the family but I have not seen them as they went to one of his daughters and not my GF.
        I have a bedside cabinet and a side table that my mother’s “Uncle” Tom made. Carpentry was one his hobbies as well as playing the fiddle. He was a fine fiddle player so I’m told. My married-in auntie who is my godmother has a few brothers. One was a great pal of Uncle Tom despite the age gap and he has Tom’s fiddle.
        I have Daddy’s old money box, his baptism certificate and a prayer book that belonged to his namesake Uncle who was my Gran’s only brother who died in 1922 of ill health having been badly gassed in WW1. I also have my mother’s mother’s wedding ring - all her life she was known to me as my namesake auntie. I’ve never taken it off since the day I was given it. On the same finger is an old three garnet band ring that belonged to my late mother in law and her birthmother and grandmother before that. As far as we know, it wasn’t new when her grandmother had it so we don’t know where it originally came from.
        I have various other bits of jewellery from my mother’s maternal side but these two are the most precious to me personally.
        There are loads of photos from both sides of my family and some on Daddy’s side go back to 2xG Grandparents level. I have also been sent some family photos of my previously “missing quarter”. There are two possibles for my mother’s birth father and although they are not together in any of the photos, I have a good one of each of them.

Comment

My Dad tells me there are lots of treasures in the loft, that I am dreading looking......

I have jewellery, but not sure whether they are older than the great aunts that gave them to me. Mum gave me her dad's watch that comes with the receipt, it really is a job to know what to do with it all really. fairly sure my son would have no interest.

and the 2 albums with lots of people I don't know!
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have a painted "sampler" with my g(x3)grandmother's 1798 DOB. My mother told me to give it to a particular museum when it leaves my possession. Really, I don't know where it should go.

Various photos. Some jewellery. My g'grandmother's baptismal certificate (b. 1865, Bermuda).

Really - who will want my g'grandfather's bed? My grandfather's high chair?

There is a show in the US, Legacy List, that helps people sort thru their accumulation before moving
            https://www.pbs.org/video/six-genera...-stuff-o4svsx/

Dunno if the link will work for you. A lot of what they talk about hits home.

Comment

link doesn't work here :( can't see that we get it over here on any channels
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

This is a family Heirloom I have had the privilege to see and handle. It belongs to a church in Suffolk and donated by my 10 x G Grandfathers spinster daughter Lucie to the church. She died in 1638.

Also have a few things from my Grandparents but nothing older than that.
                Attached Files
                Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  link doesn't work here :( can't see that we get it over here on any channels
                  Maybe on youtube? But I don't think these are episodes, more like clips and talks that were done outside the show
                  https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=legacy+list

One acronym the show gave me: FOMO - fear of missing out. It was given when they were looking at a woman's groups of collections.

I didn't realize the connection to Hoarders, as I haven't watched that show.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    I have a box of junk my grandparents kept. Great grandparents aluminum pots and pans (1970's), 1960's hair curlers, the military (WWII) boot polish brushes from my gran's brother.

on the other side i have a box of photos from 1860's-1960's of various bloodline families plus in laws, original wills (written at time of marriage, before kids), letters.
                    The photos and original Wills must be priceless Kyle, I just wish I had been left something similar

Comment

Originally posted by Vivian View Post
                      My 2 x great-grandfather Wilhelm Friedrich Haller, born in 1852 in Kleinbottwar, Württemberg was a Cabinet Maker. He & his wife & her surviving siblings emigrated to Queensland in 1888.
                      When my grandparents were married in 1934 his wedding gift was a set of wooden palm stands he had designed & crafted himself.

When my grandparents died I was lucky enough to receive one of the stands, when my mother & aunts were sorting everything out, as well as several family photos. I also have an old birthday book which belonged to my paternal grandmother, which was extremely useful when I first started researching.

That’s wonderful Vivian, to have something that has been crafted and made by the hand of one your ancestors must be very special indeed.
                      Last edited by Paulc; 27-05-21, 07:53.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                        My Gt. Grandfather was a blacksmith and artesian well engineer. His appentice pieces are still in the family but I have not seen them as they went to one of his daughters and not my GF.
                        I have a bedside cabinet and a side table that my mother’s “Uncle” Tom made. Carpentry was one his hobbies as well as playing the fiddle. He was a fine fiddle player so I’m told. My married-in auntie who is my godmother has a few brothers. One was a great pal of Uncle Tom despite the age gap and he has Tom’s fiddle.
                        I have Daddy’s old money box, his baptism certificate and a prayer book that belonged to his namesake Uncle who was my Gran’s only brother who died in 1922 of ill health having been badly gassed in WW1. I also have my mother’s mother’s wedding ring - all her life she was known to me as my namesake auntie. I’ve never taken it off since the day I was given it. On the same finger is an old three garnet band ring that belonged to my late mother in law and her birthmother and grandmother before that. As far as we know, it wasn’t new when her grandmother had it so we don’t know where it originally came from.
                        I have various other bits of jewellery from my mother’s maternal side but these two are the most precious to me personally.
                        There are loads of photos from both sides of my family and some on Daddy’s side go back to 2xG Grandparents level. I have also been sent some family photos of my previously “missing quarter”. There are two possibles for my mother’s birth father and although they are not together in any of the photos, I have a good one of each of them.

that’s such a wide range of family Heirlooms Galloway Lass, like you I have inherited several pieces of jewellery over the years. I know which sides of the family they originated from, but frustratingly not who they belonged to in the first place! That’s why it’s so important that we write these things down ourselves for our children.

I would love to have something like that fiddle that does sound very special indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                          My Dad tells me there are lots of treasures in the loft, that I am dreading looking......

I have jewellery, but not sure whether they are older than the great aunts that gave them to me. Mum gave me her dad's watch that comes with the receipt, it really is a job to know what to do with it all really. fairly sure my son would have no interest.

and the 2 albums with lots of people I don't know!
                          It does become an issue that perhaps we all need to think about before we become a statistic on our own tree. Passing on items that you have no idea of the origins can lead to those who inherit them having no emotional attachment to them. They are not nice conversations to have but maybe we should think more about that????

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                            I have a painted "sampler" with my g(x3)grandmother's 1798 DOB. My mother told me to give it to a particular museum when it leaves my possession. Really, I don't know where it should go.

Various photos. Some jewellery. My g'grandmother's baptismal certificate (b. 1865, Bermuda).

Really - who will want my g'grandfather's bed? My grandfather's high chair?

There is a show in the US, Legacy List, that helps people sort thru their accumulation before moving
                            https://www.pbs.org/video/six-genera...-stuff-o4svsx/

Dunno if the link will work for you. A lot of what they talk about hits home.

thanks photofamily it really is a serious question that we all need to look at. I’m sure my kids will despatch a lot of my paperwork to the bin. I have seen a few presentations on the topic of legacy planning and it does raise a lot of questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                              This is a family Heirloom I have had the privilege to see and handle. It belongs to a church in Suffolk and donated by my 10 x G Grandfathers spinster daughter Lucie to the church. She died in 1638.

Also have a few things from my Grandparents but nothing older than that.
                              What a beautiful jug Lin! To have something like that preserved and kept on display, that you can actually place in the hands of one of your own ancestors is truly precious indeed

Comment

My children live away and one day at the beginning of lockdown I labelled anything I thought had history for them. When we see each other too many other things to do. Mostly jewellery but also a few ornaments from their Grandparents and G Grandparents.

About the Flagon, I think it was officially called I posted about earlier. It is still used to put the water in for the font when they have baptisms. Forgot to add that.
                                Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Lin Fisher Now that's what I call a piece of silver A beautiful thing to treasure.
                                  I am not a fan of silver jewellery. To my mind silver is for the sideboard or the altar

Comment

I have a whistling tea cup which was my great grandparents on my dads side.

Comment

I have nothing as precious financially, but emotionally -

On my mother's side:
                                      2 Family Bible (one dating back to 1858)
                                      Christening gown made for my grandmother and worn by my mother & her siblings
                                      A tray cloth embroidered by my great-grandmother
                                      Letters from my grandfather to my grandmother, written during and after WW1

On my father's side:
                                      Family Bible (entries going back to 1838 although Bible is dated later)
                                      A tankard won by my grandfather in a race in 1897

I also have various books given as prizes to my parents etc.

On my ex's side, he's got a shove ha'penny board made by his grandfather from the wood on the bar in the pub he ran.

I think my sons will probably chuck most of these things in a skip, but you never know.

~ with love from Little Nell~
                                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Little Nell Drop a gentle hint that you have added a codicil to your will to cover what you want done with “family treasures” so they’ll need to be careful not to accidentally chuck things out. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                        X