Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with census

hi,
    can anyone help with this census please?

1841 raggs family (name also goes as ragg/ragge/wragge/wragg later on). George is head, elizabeth is his wife, Dennis son 9months and the other has been transcribed as W.D Raggs - i'm not 100% that it is a W. BUT i dont know what else it could be. I can't find any records for a male born in 1837/1838 with these initials.

any help appreciated

raggs.jpg
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

I'd say it was just 'W' and the 'd' is for 'ditto' meaning surname is Raggs.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Is this George Ragg and Elizabeth Loton, married 1835, Newcastle?
      Family search has children born 1840, 1843 and 1845 but nothing earlier.

Comment

Free Reg has the following baptism.
        24 Dec 1837. William. Son of George and Elizabeth Ragg. Occupation - Joiner, residence - Ouston. At St Mary and St Cuthbert, Chester le Street.

Comment

Yes, it is W. Do. ....................... meaning W " (ditto) for the same surname as adults.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Remember there is more than ancestry.co.uk when researching. You can jump in fmp and freereg for parish records.

that baptism being dec 1837, you should be able to search the gro indexes and find that birth with mother's maiden name, civil reg began sep 1837.

Comment

I have read that in the early days of civil registration not everyone was familiar with, or complied with, the new procedures and some births went unregistered. If it was a home birth in which no nurse/doctor/"official" was involved, perhaps no one was on hand to advise them and they relied on baptism as the traditional means of marking the child's entry into the world.

The fact that their second child was registered in the name of Denas suggests a family uncomfortable in dealing with officialdom.

Comment

thanks everyone for replies
                **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                X