Trying to trace Lily Augusta Harris, b.Oxford St. Clement, 1874

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to trace Lily Augusta Harris, b.Oxford St. Clement, 1874

Please is anyone able to look at 1901 census for Charles Samuel Howe and his wife Lily A both born approx 1874 and living (probably) in Middlesex.
    Any details very gratefully accepted.
    Thanks.
    Cath.

what did he do for a living?

Comment

could be
      Charles S Howe
      abt 1874
      Head
      Male
      Lily A Howe
      Joseph Howe
      St George the Martyr, London, England
      Wealdstone
      Holy Trinity
      Middlesex
      England

View image
      Hendon
      Harrow
      View others on page

Comment

Many thanks. I've no idea. I'm just clutching at straws trying to find Lily Augusta Wall Harris , b. Oxford 1874. I found a marriage in 1900 for a Lily A Harris and thought it might be worth investigating. Does entry give her place of birth?
        Cath.

Comment

She was born in Brighton, he in St George The Martyr, he is described as a Railway Clerk.

Comment

There's a Lilly Harris b.1874 Oxford.
            Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

or on
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

This could be totally irrelevant, but have you noticed this?

Lily Augusta Walker. Dec 1870. Headington. No mmn.
              In 1871 living as "inmate" with Emma Walker, age 21.
              Lily Augusta Wall Harris. Dec 1874. Headington. No mmn

Comment

Thank you all for your replies.

"My" Lily was born in the Oxford workhouse on 22nd November 1874 to Emily Harris, no father named.

I can't find either of them in 1881 but I think I've got Lily in 1891 living in the household of Caroline Smith, nee Brimfield.
                This Brimfield family seem to have lots of connections to Harris families in Oxford so I think the marriage I asked for help with is another dead end.

I know Lily was in the Bury, Lancs area from 1901 aka Lily Augusta Graham.
                I've been digging for nearly 20 years so obviously I'm going to have to try a bit longer.
                Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
                  Many thanks. I've no idea. I'm just clutching at straws trying to find Lily Augusta Wall Harris , b. Oxford 1874. I found a marriage in 1900 for a Lily A Harris and thought it might be worth investigating. Does entry give her place of birth?
                  No place of birth on marriage certs just residence.

Is this her? Her residence was 141 Tufnell Park Road. Her father is a jeweller.
                  Groom’s occupation is clerk, residence was 104 Archway Road, Highgate. Father is a printer.
                  The image is on ancestry.
                  Lily Augusta Harris
                  Female
                  Marriage
                  abt 1871
                  9 Jun 1900
                  St George, Tufnell Park, Islington, England
                  Thomas William Harris
                  Charles Samuel Howe
                  Parish Register
                  This marriage cert. is a bit of an Eric Morecambe puzzle - All the right names are there, just not in the right order!

Comment

Thanks Christine but I doubt that's her. Her mother was a Harris but I don't think her father was. I have a possible for her brother and father but they are both farmers.

I suspect she came north for work. Her first child was born 1901 and by then she had adopted the name Graham.
                    Cath.

Comment

Cath not sure what your looking for. Lily as Lillian Graham is with Thomas Graham in the 1901 in Bury.

Vera

Comment

Yes that's right but even though she and Thomas Graham were together until their deaths (and 7 children later) they appear never to have married, so even though I have a birth certificate with no father mentioned, I'd love to know who exactly she was and where she came from.

I strongly suspect she had some connection to a family called Brimfield in the Oxford area but a lot of this is just guess work.
                        Cath.

Comment

Yes that's right but even though she and Thomas Graham were together until their deaths (and 7 children later) they appear never to have married, so even though I have a birth certificate with no father mentioned, I'd love to know who exactly she was and where she came from.

I strongly suspect she had some connection to a family called Brimfield in the Oxford area but a lot of this is just guess work.
                          what records do you have for Lily Augusta Wall Harris , b. Oxford 1874?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have her birth certificate, mother Emily Harris but no father and a possible sighting as Lilley (sic) Harris in 1901 with Caroline nee Brimfield and Arthur Smith. BC gives Oxford workhouse as pob.
                            Cath.

Comment

at the moment you can't be sure she is Lilian Graham? so you are looking for other possibles, or her marriage to confirm that it is her?

your goal is to find out who Lillian Graham is?

and it maybe

Lily Augusta Wall Harris?
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Exactly. I know Lilian Graham was deff. called Lily Augusta. Her children called her "Gussie for short" because she was very small.
                                All her childrens' bcs give her maiden name as Harris . She's been a very big brick wall for about 20 years.
                                Thanks for replying.
                                Cath.

Comment

wonder why William was William Bridgman Graham? any clues there?
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

I've also wondered that but can't find anything. Most of Thomas's children by his first wife had middle names which were either family or friends in most of whom I can see the logic. The rest seem to have followed the Scottish naming pattern.
                                    Cath.

Comment

I have her birth certificate, mother Emily Harris but no father and a possible sighting as Lilley (sic) Harris in 1901 with Caroline nee Brimfield and Arthur Smith. BC gives Oxford workhouse as pob.
                                      if you have her in 1901 in Bury and this is the lady you want to trace, I am confused why she would be elsewhere in 1901 sorry I am not following and must be missing something.

you don't have her in 1891 or 1881 though?
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

if you have her in 1901 in Bury and this is the lady you want to trace, I am confused why she would be elsewhere in 1901 sorry I am not following and must be missing something.

you don't have her in 1891 or 1881 though?
                                        Sorry Caroline. For 1901 read 1891 (senior moment) but I can't find any mention of her in 1881 nor for her mother Emily Harris either.
                                        Cath.

Comment

Working...
                                        X