Trying to trace Lily Augusta Harris, b.Oxford St. Clement, 1874

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
    I have her birth certificate, mother Emily Harris but no father and a possible sighting as Lilley (sic) Harris in 1901 with Caroline nee Brimfield and Arthur Smith. BC gives Oxford workhouse as pob.
    Thanks Cath. I did look at the 1891 with Caroline Smith ne e Brimfield

I started to look at the Harris/Brimfield link last night with Clara ? sister of Caroline marrying Henry J Harris in 1872. St Phillip and St James, Oxford. Unfortunately no full marriage cert I can see. Only Banns.

Henry J can be seen in 1881 b Oxon not Cambs, with Clara, working as a cab driver

I followed a Henry J Harris. There is one with a sister Ann Amelia AA and mother Amelia, father John in 1861. John is an Ag Lab. Same family in 1871 Father John Widower da u Emily aged 15. John farming 100 acres. Both at Fresh Farm, Elsfield.

Need to see marriage cert to confirm same parent.

The Emily daughter of the farming family possible marriage to George Clarke, Elsfield 1878

EDIT Elsfield Parish Church 15 May 1878
    George Clarke Full Age Bachelor Clerk Residence Hereford father James a Foreman
    Emily Harris Full Age Spinster from Elsfield father John a Farmer
    Witnesses John Harris ? Matthew Harris

Vera

Comment

the first 1901 census you were querying was also a bit I didn't understand as you had her for that.

the census for 1891 Caroline Smith and Arthur with 3 children that you have found
      maiden name is Brimfield, which I am thinking you may know?

Smith Archibald Claude 1888 Marylebone, London, England
      Smith Ethel Mary 1882 Eton, Buckinghamshire, England
      Smith Kathleen Daisy 1885 Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

sorry have crossed posts with Vera
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-05-21, 21:17.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

in 1901 another niece staying Gertrude Clara Harris b oxon 1883, I assume is clara gertrude b1883 Abingdon mmn Brimfield, not sure if this is the same Clara as Vera found?
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-05-21, 21:52.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            in 1901 another niece staying Gertrude Clara Harris b oxon 1883, I assume is clara gertrude b1883 Abingdon mmn Brimfield, not sure if this is the same Clara as Vera found?
            Nice one Carolyn.

In the 1891 Gertrude C Harris b 1882 Oxon father Henry J, mother Clara and not in 1901 with parents.

Vera

Comment

the birth cert of Henry J is on Ancestry not sure that is brings anything to the party
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Lots of info out there but now we have a link to Henry J, Clara and Caroline.

However not sure about the Cabman Henry J, linked to the farming family, from Fresh Farm, Elsfield, who had a sister Emily b 1855. That Emily married George Clarke in 1878.

I can't see the mc of Henry J and Clara Brimfield in 1872 only banns unfortunately. Maybe his other sibs will give a clue

Vera​​​​​

Comment

I am not quite getting the link to Lily if she is a Harris, if she has a mother Emily but is niece to Caroline Brimfield.

Emily must be Johns sister?

Off to bed now

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-05-21, 23:25.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Is this the marriage cert - occupations seem wrong too

NB Emily Harris a witness

henry john harris.JPG
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-05-21, 23:42.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

couldn't sleep....

MMN Hedges

HARRIS, CARRY HEDGES
                      GRO Reference: 1857 J Quarter in HEADINGTON UNION Volume 03A Page 511
                      HARRIS, EMILY HEDGES
                      GRO Reference: 1855 S Quarter in HEADINGTON UNION Volume 03A Page 466

not checked all years, just looked for an Emily
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Is this the marriage cert - occupations seem wrong too

NB Emily Harris a witness

henry john harris.JPG
                        That looks quite good to me. Need to check out Clara Brinfield for parents.. The father of Henry J of the farming family was a John and I see the one of the witnesses is ? a sister of Henry J Emily Harris the possible mother of Lily/Lillian Harris of the 1891.

EDIT Henry J and Clara living at 34 Plantation Road in 1881

Vera

Comment

couldn't sleep....

MMN Hedges

HARRIS, CARRY HEDGES
                          GRO Reference: 1857 J Quarter in HEADINGTON UNION Volume 03A Page 511
                          HARRIS, EMILY HEDGES
                          GRO Reference: 1855 S Quarter in HEADINGTON UNION Volume 03A Page 466

not checked all years, just looked for an Emily
                          That is I think the Emily Harris of the farming family f John m Emily/Amelia. They are in the 1861 and minus mother in the 1871.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

That looks quite good to me. Need to check out Clara Brinfield for parents.. The father of Henry J of the farming family was a John and I see the one of the witnesses is ? a sister of Henry J Emily Harris the possible mother of Lily/Lillian Harris of the 1891.

Vera
                            Have checked out the father of Clara Brimfield 1872 marriage to Henry J Harris ieJohn W Brimfield, Gamekeeper

1861 Clara b Thrupp aged 8 with sister Caroline aged 10 + other sibs. Father is John a Police Officer. Subsequent census has him as John W Brimfield a licensed victualler, a Dealer and living off his own means

Vera
                            ​​​​​​​

Comment

Vera
                              Have checked out the father of Clara Brimfield 1872 marriage to Henry J Harris ieJohn W Brimfield, Gamekeeper

1861 Clara b Thrupp aged 8 with sister Caroline aged 10 + other sibs. Father is John a Police Officer. Subsequent census has him as John W Brimfield a licensed victualler, a Dealer and living off his own means

Vera
                              ​​​​​​​

Comment

I am not quite getting the link to Lily if she is a Harris, if she has a mother Emily but is niece to Caroline Brimfield.

Emily must be Johns sister?

Off to bed now
                                I now don't think there is a one to Lily Harris d of Emily Harris b 1874.

The Lilley Harris with Caroline Smith in the 1891 b St Clement Oxford is likely to be d of Henry J and Clara. In the 1881 there is a Lillian M b 1877 d of Henry J and Clara. Although pob Warwickshire is likely to be the same person. Lillian M is not with parents Henry J and Clara in the 1891

​​​​​​Vera

Comment

That is I think the Emily Harris of the farming family f John m Emily/Amelia. They are in the 1861 and minus mother in the 1871.

Vera
                                  the birth cert of Henry John said Hedges so must be same family.

you don't think Emily also had a daughter Lily? she marries in 1878 George Clarke
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Thank you ladies you have been brilliant !!

Vera, you furnished me with loads of information re Harris/Brimfield about 4 years ago and as you can see I still can't definitely find Lily Augusta between her birth in 1874 and when she appeared in Bury in 1901. It's so frustrating - I have a couple of photos of her and I feel a real connection to her (she's my grandmother) .
                                    Oh how I wish I'd asked my Dad and aunts before it was too late.

Thanks again.
                                    Cath.
                                    Cath.

Comment

I am now at a complete tangent and looking at George Clarke....and see he is a clerk to the Bookstall and is moving around the country - never heard of it, any idea what it is
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
                                        Thank you ladies you have been brilliant !!

Vera, you furnished me with loads of information re Harris/Brimfield about 4 years ago and as you can see I still can't definitely find Lily Augusta between her birth in 1874 and when she appeared in Bury in 1901. It's so frustrating - I have a couple of photos of her and I feel a real connection to her (she's my grandmother) .
                                        Oh how I wish I'd asked my Dad and aunts before it was too late.

Thanks again.
                                        Cath.
                                        have you done a DNA test - guess in this instance it would help?
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

I thought it maybe useful to go back to the beginning? so found the other threads

and changed the title of the thread, as you have Lily in 1901 - I think I have that correct.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X