scotlandspeople

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that the one I posted in #13 ?

Does it say “illegitimate” under his name? Also does it say anything written sideways in the narrow column just to the left of his name? If so, then there’s an RCE entry for you to view which is free once you have paid for the certificate itself which you have already done. The link to the RCE (if there is one) is just above the menu strip at the top of the certificate. You might find more info on the parents in it.
    I would also check on SP to see if the Kirk Session records have been uploaded for the parish of birth and also the parish / parishes of residence of the parents (if different) to see if they were called to account for their sins. Don’t despair if there’s no Kirk Session material as they are uploading them in batches and they’ve a long way to go yet.
    Also try the Scottish Indexes website to see if the parents ever fell out over finances for the child’s upkeep. They have indexes to the Sheriff Court paternity cases for some counties.

Comment

Yes that is the one and it does say illegitimate but says father supports mother and son. Its a bit strange though as he is registered as McDonald but then in 1861 census he appears to be as mcrae but living with ann mcdonald and her parents. Not sur if this is the actual certificate or the parish entry

Comment

oh my I have never known about scottish indexes. Not found anything for John Mcrae but did find a couple of McKerrow on there and managed to add the biological father of one of the McKerrow. lol
        I also found one of my McKerrow ( distant) was murdered.
        That site needs to be explored a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
          That site needs to be explored a bit more.
          It’s a great resource and they keep adding more. During lockdown there have been free online conferences on some Saturdays and there’s a very good FB group.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

It’s a great resource and they keep adding more. During lockdown there have been free online conferences on some Saturdays and there’s a very good FB group.
            I found my greatx2 grandmother's "City Poorhouse Asylum, Glasgow" records from 1869 and 1878 on their lists, a couple of days into the first lockdown, and am waiting for them to be able to go and get the files for me.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

yes there is one on there that caught my attention. Mary Henderson/Brown was in an asylum. The death date isnt the right one for mine but it made me wonder if thats why her daughter was given for adoption if she was in an asylum

Comment

A bit disappointed that on scotlands census you cant flip to the next page. I was hoping to look to see which John Mcrae was in the area and the possible father of mine. I guess I can pass on the marriage between Ann McDonald and John Macrae as they dont appear to be married when he was born

Comment

You can, it just costs 6 credits.

Comment

I still have ancestry sub so was looking on there
                    That could use a lot of credits doing it on scotlands people then

Comment

Working...
                    X