scotlandspeople

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scotlandspeople

I have not used scotlandspeople for a very long time so just wondering if I need to buy credits or is there an index to check first.
    I have a John McRae b 1859 d1914. He had 2 marriages and on one of those quotes his parents as John McRae and Annie McDonald.
    I would like to join this couple up to the mcrae tree. I have John Mcrae's parents as john mcrae and Catherine Mcrae., cousins marrying I assume but I am uncertain if these are the correct parents, so I guess I need the details of the marriage of John McRae and Annie McDonald to see who they have as their parents

You can see the index pages free now (you used to have to pay for them) but the cert would cost you six credits .
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

There are a few marriages...........what part of Scotland are you looking at?
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Ook thanks thats what I thought I had read about there being an index. Possibly Kintail Ross and Cromarty or maybe inverness

Comment

well I dont know what I am doing wrong.lol I have just reset password and am searching but its not showing any results

Comment

Search under all the variants options for surnames, and maybe given names too. Maybe search for just one party.

Comment

I just came up with a marriage but its 1799. My man wasnt born until 1859

Comment

Not having much luck. I tried to find his birth and the John Mcrae that i am after I had his birthday as january 1859,not sure how accurate that is , Anyway scotlandspeople have his parents as John Mcrae and Ann McIntosh........ born April

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                  I just came up with a marriage but its 1799. My man wasnt born until 1859
                  It sounds like you are searching "Church Records" ......that is pre 1855 when statutory records started.

herky

Comment

What about these...........

John Macrae and Mary Ann Macdonald, 1897, Rosskeen
                    John Mcrae and Ann Macdonald 1897, Uray
                    John Mcrae and Ann Macdonald 1889 Kilmorack

Remember to search tor Mac and Mc......I usually do both together as eg- M*donald
                    herky

Comment

John Mc Rae or Mc Donald
                      Male
                      17 Jan 1859
                      Boleskine, Inverness-shire, Scotland
                      Boleskine, Inverness, Scotland
                      John Mc Rae
                      Male
                      Ann Mc Donald
                      Female
                      this is from familysearch.org

Comment

the only one listed as born 1859 inverness is the son of John McRae and Ann McIntosh but his birthday is in April

Comment

This is the birth certificate you need (if you haven't got it already).
                          MCRAE JOHN M 1859 092/2 2 Abertarff or Fort Augustus

GENUKI has this;
                          "BOLESKINE, (and Abertarff) a united parish in the county of Inverness, Scotland, 12 miles to the S. of Inverness. It is situated in a district partly mountainous and partly flat, on both the east and west sides of Loch Ness, and is watered by the rivers Oich, Tarff, and Foyers. There are also many small lochs. The parish includes Fort Augustus, and is crossed by the military road from Inverness. Good granite and limestone are obtained in the hills. In this parish is the fine waterfall of Foyers. The living, of the value of £238, is in the presbytery of Abertarff, and in the patronage of Fraser of Lovat. Fort Augustus is the seat of a mission, worth £80 a year. There is also a Free church, and a Roman Catholic chapel. The parish is about 20 miles long and 10 broad."

Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
                          Churches

Comment

This might be the marriage of his parents if they are John McR and Ann McDONALD.

Church of Scotland banns and marriages on SP (no results in the RC or Other Churches records on SP)

MACRAE JOHN ANN MACDONALD/ 27/01/1853 104/ 20 78 Laggan

I couldn't dig up description of the location of the parish on GENUKI for Laggan parish itself which included which parishes it was bounded by but I struck it lucky with the neighbouring parish of Kilmavonaig;

"Kilmonivaig, a large Highland parish of SW Inverness-shire, containing the hamlets of Spean Bridge or Unachan, 9¾ miles NE of Fort William; Bridge of Roy or Bunroy, 3 miles E of Spean Bridge; and Invergarry, 7½ miles SW of Fort Augustus, each with a post, money order, and telegraph office. Bridge of Roy and Spean Bridge arc each provided with a station on the West Highland railway, from which the Invergarry and Fort Augustus railway strikes off at Spean Bridge and runs through the parish, first in a westerly and then in a north-easterly direction, to Invergarry and on to Fort Augustus. It is bounded N by Glenshiel in Ross-shire and by Urquhart-Glenmoriston, NE by Boleskine-Abertarff, E by Laggan, SE by Fortingall in Perthshire, S by Lismore-Appin in Argyllshire, and W by Kilmallie and Glenelg. Its utmost length, from NW to SE, is 60 miles; its utmost breadth is 23 miles; and its area is about 276,600 acres, of which 44½ are foreshore, 26½ tidal water, and 9531¾ water. In 1891 a small portion of the parish, whose area is not stated, but which was situated on Loch Linnhe between the river Lochy and the river Ness, and that cut the parish of Kilmallie at this point in two, was transferred by the Boundary Commissioners to Kilmallie. ...

Comment

Forgot to say, that although Scottish birth certificates gave the details of the date and place of marriage of a legitimate child's parents' marriage, there is a block of years where this was not recorded. Annoyingly this will affect you if the birth for 1859 is your man as the block of years with no marriage recorded was 1856 - 1860.

Also, it is rare for a marriage in the OPRs to give you any information other the name of the bride and groom and the date they married. It is also fairly normal for it say only "John Doe and Jane Doe gave forth their names to be proclaimed / for proclamation". This means that on the the recorded date the fee was paid for the banns to be read on the following three Sundays. If the entry has been scored out then the marriage didn't take place. If there is no scoring out you can only make an assumption that the marriage did take place on or after the Sunday of the 3rd reading. If you are lucky the date of the marriage will be added.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                This might be the marriage of his parents if they are John McR and Ann McDONALD.

Church of Scotland banns and marriages on SP (no results in the RC or Other Churches records on SP)

MACRAE JOHN ANN MACDONALD/ 27/01/1853 104/ 20 78 Laggan

this is what I dont understand I have searched for this and can not find it

Comment

I found it!!!!!. No other information though....

Comment

You will need to track them in the census and find their death records for their parents names.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post

this is what I dont understand I have searched for this and can not find it
                                      were you looking in parish records or in civil records?

Comment

I have finally found his birth but looks like his parents were not married. It comes under abertaff and augustus

Comment

Working...
                                        X