Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place of birth?

Good Evening,

Can anyone decipher the bottom line for Jack Davis? Ancestry transcription for POB is Santacrug, Fencliffe which it isn't lol! No other hints for a birth for him either, can't see him on GRO!

Also, I can't see this family on the 1891 census if anyone fancies a look?

Thanks, Tessie

Santacruz, Teneriffe

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
      Santacruz, Teneriffe
      Haha that's funny, if only it were true! They were farm labourers so no way would of been in Spain unless it got mis-heard of course! So ..... wonder where he was born!! Will have a better look tomorrow, thanks Jill!

Comment

Goodness, there must be a story behind that! Why would a cowman have one of his children born in Teneriffe. it does seem to have 'Spain' in the margin.
        Anne

Comment

might be him oops wrong Hambleden
          DAVIS, JACK LOVERING
          GRO Reference: 1894 J Quarter in HAMBLEDON Volume 02A Page 142

Comment

Could they be missing in 1891 because the family really were in Tenerife? Here's the top section of a service record where a Harry Jack DAVIS was in the Royal Navy and he just happens to have been born in Tenerife.

DAVIS.JPG

Google maps says this about the correct name of the place;
            San Cristóbal de La Laguna is a city and municipality in the northern part of the island of Tenerife in the Province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, on the Canary Islands. The city is the third-most populous city of the archipelago and the second-most populous city of the island

Comment

This is the death of man of the same name with the same birthdate
              Harry Jack Davis
              15 Jun 1891
              Jan 1973
              [Feb 1973]
              [Mar 1973]
              Jan-Feb-Mar
              Worthing
              Sussex
              5h

Comment

Clever you Galloway, who would have thought it.

Comment

Wow! I will have to look at this properly - I would never of thought it would be true lol! I wonder why they would of been in Spain especially as they were a family of farm labourers - am I missing something that happened around that time for people to of been going to Spain around that time? Do you know if there any records for passenger lists to Spain?
                  Thanks all

Comment

His father is an Army Pensioner so could have been serving there and had his family with him. His army record may hold clues.

Comment

Working...
                    X