What is my Mum and Dad's connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is my Mum and Dad's connection?

Hi all, this doesn't really matter but I'm intrigued and have no idea how to work this out!

One of my 2nd great granduncles on my Dad's side married one of my 1st cousins 5x removed on my Mum's side - so how are my Mum and Dad related - some sort of cousin to each other? I can't work it out lol! Any takers?

Thanks

Who are their most recent common ancestors, in terms of gg..g-grandparents? Then look it up at https://www.familysearch.org/blog/en/cousin-chart/
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Have you got a tree made in Family Tree Maker?
      If so, then click into your Mum’s person page. Then go to Reports and choose Kinship report. When it has completed scroll down to your Dad and see what it says the relationship is between them. It should say that your Dad is her husband and it would also show any other relationship between them.
      I have the old style 2006 version. I think newer versions call the tool Relationship Calculator.

Comment

Another way to get this info is if your parents have both been DNA tested. Upload each of their raw data files to GedMatch and once the kits have processed use the Are My Parents Related tool.

Comment

According to the info you gave, they aren't related, but have relations in common. The link is by marriage, of an uncle on your dad's side to a distant cousin of your mum's.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            According to the info you gave, they aren't related, but have relations in common. The link is by marriage, of an uncle on your dad's side to a distant cousin of your mum's.
            Thanks Kyle, I couldn't work it out

Comment

Working...
            X