death duties registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death duties registers

has anyone had experience with accessing the death duties registers? i have a few early 1800's estates with no wills, and was wondering what information would be included? like an administration?

i know you have to access them at the national archives, would it be worth asking their professional services to get copies, once that starts again?

no experience of the records, have you seen what FMP say about the records?

looks like they can be interesting as added to after death.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Some documents are free at the national archives at the moment. I got a couple of will for my sister in law from them. You do have to sign in but that is all. It's worth a look.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

No personal experience. This researcher makes some comments on their potential and provides copies of a couple of examples in the second link.

Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

thank you all. i've read up on them, so know potentially they can be quite informative. but have never seen one and a cousin tried to access one years ago at TNA and they couldn't find the folder, even though the reference numbers were clear as day. they just seem rather difficult to get ahold of from what i've read.

Comment

Used them - twice that I can remember. Confirmed that the niece who was a recipient from one of the estates had the name I expected - but it's a common name, so not sure it meant anything? Second one - it's been a while, but I think it just seemed to be unresolved, which in and of itself seemed weird.

But - leave no stone unturned...

Comment

It's a little difficult sometimes to find the refs at TNA, but they can be very informative. If you decide to get any of the records, don't get TNA to do the research - too expensive! The indexing on FMP will help
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thank you. I found all the references on FMP.

good there is some experience using them.

Comment

Working...
                X