murdoch matheson 1851

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• murdoch matheson 1851

can anyone help me spot murdoch matheson in 1851?

b.1822, lochcarron, son of dougald matheson and beatrix mckenzie.
    1841 at home with father in applecross.
    m.11 jul 1851 at contin, ross and cromarty to christina elliott.
    a shepherd, on the isle of rum in 1861 and 1871.
    have him sorted except 1851.

Hmm... no luck so far but will keep looking. There are some possibles from the area but age is out and described as ag lab, which could be a shepherd but not convinced.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Ahha - think I have found him on ancestry.... can't seem yo cut and paste to this site but if you look for MURDE MATHESON, BORN 1826. It says he is a shepherd born in Lochcarrons and living in Contin.
      What do you think??

Oh good ---- cut and paste seems to be working again------see nest post.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Murde Matheson
        abt 1826
        Servant
        Male
        Lochcarron, Ross
        Contin
        View related Ecclesiastical Parish
        Ross and Cromarty
        Ledgoun
        Shepherd
        CSSCT1851_13

herky

Comment

Herky! You did it! Ledgoun is the address on the marriage record! And he is a shepherd! You legend.

Comment

Oh, great.......sorry about all the spelling mistakes........hubby was shouting up to me to go and vote with him and I was determined to send you a quick reply.
            Most of mine are Scottish and I don't know about yours but most of mine are very poor with their ages on docs.
            Great to have a full set of records.
            herky

Comment

I've always felt from researching irish/scots families, that ages are always outta whack but they know the family relationships. Thanks for finding him! It's bugged me for years. I'll remember that spelling of murde for other searches.

Comment

Hi,
                I have not heard of "Murde" before so I wonder if it is a mistransciption of " Murdo", that I have seen numerous times for Murdoch. Matheson can also be Mathieson. Quite a bit of detective work in this game!!!! Good luck.
                herky

Comment

image reads "murdo" which is oddly short hand for murdoch. but i couldn't find it on FMP, only ancestry. ancestry is quite clunky to search in comparison i find, so shuddering at the thought that if FMP doesn't have somthing, trying to locate it on ancestry will be difficult.

Comment

Both Murdo and Murdoch are English attempts at the Gaelic Murchadh by which he would have actually been known.
                    Kind regards,
                    William
                    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

I do struggle with some gaelic words in names, more common in highlands ancestry as a way to distinguish people of the same name. Some are gaelic names, so recognisable. Others i google and never get an understanding of the word. Probbaly because the written sources are spelled phonetically.

Comment

I have to agree - my brother is fluent and so I can ask him for translations, but I struggle myself!
                        Kind regards,
                        William
                        Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Working...
                        X