john matheson of kyleakin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• john matheson of kyleakin

can anyone help me find john matheson prior to the 1861 scottish census? i have all his family details post 1861.

he is in strath, inverness 1861-1901, born 1817-1821 variously, in lochcarron. he was a merchant except in 1881, listed as fish curer.
    married 1866 strath to sarah mckay.
    john dies 1904 kyleakin, and sarah in 1914, kyleakin.

he is the son of dougald matheson and beatrix mckenzie (seems to have died young, as mother is listed as rebecca mclennan on marriage and death). not at home with father dougald in either census.

also if anyone can spot the elizabeth mclennan, b.1817 lochcarron, unmarried servant, living with john in 1861? can't seem to spot her asides from this census, and wonder if she may be a (step) cousin.

1851 How about this one?
    Surname
    MATHISON
    Forename
    JOHN
    Year
    Age at Census
    Ref
    119/ 8/ 8
    RD Name
    Strath
    County/ City
    Inverness

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      could this be her
      possibly val. asides from 1861, i don't have any evidence of her, and i don't know about her family. just saw she and john were in strath, and everyone on the page is local to the area but these two. this picqued my interest, as other relatives that left the lochalsh/lochcarron area also had servants from those areas on the census, and they turned out to be relatives. it's probably a long shot, but john's step mother was rebecca mclennan, and i do wonder if elizabeth was a relative of hers.

Comment

galloway,

i assume that's from scotlandspeople? if so, seems to be a fisherman living in "strolimas" married to a flora with 4 children. they are still there in 1861, with more children.

there was one who was a servant with a mckenzie family from edinburgh i think it was. but they weren't merchant's.

rather frustrating tbh. he obviously wasn't a merchant straight away, but can't locate him in 1841/51.

Comment

Yes it was SP.

Comment

Working...
          X