Could you read please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you read please

Daniel Catt b 6th April 1883 d 1966. Can anyone confirm please what is written on the attached for Daniel. It is a Navy record, his number is 212793, and I have a feeling it says Run under the leaving reason. I think I have him in 1911 census as a carman living at Cycle Shop New Romney.
    If he did do a runner from the navy there must have repurcussions or would they just have ignored it.

There is another Daniel Catt from Romney who was in the navy in WW1, b 8th June 1876 but he is not mine
    Regards
    Ann
    Attached Files

Found this on another forum where someone else had made the same query. I think it from the regulations

KR & AI 1913

802. When Absentees to be marked " Run."-If any person belonging to a ship should absent himself from his duty without leave, and if he should in the judgment of his Captain fail to give a good and sufficient reason for his absence, he is to be checked accordingly on the ship's books, on the day of his absence, if his absence began before noon, and on the day following his absence, if his absence began after noon ; and should he not have returned at the expiration of seven days, he is to be discharged " Run " on the actual day on which his absence began, irrespective of the 12 0' clock rule for checking, and the letter R is to be placed against his name on the ship's books, and while it remains there he shall not be entitled to receive the pay which has accrued to the date of his discharge.

2. Removal of the R.-If the Captain should subsequently be satisfied that there was no intention to desert, he is to remove the R, provided the person has not been treated summarily as a deserter, and to cause payment to be made of the pay accrued, the case being reported to the Admiralty for information.

3. Whenever persons are treated summarily as deserters the R is to be placed against their names on the ship's books, but in any case in which it may be considered desirable, the Admiralty may order the R to be removed and may authorise payment of the pay accrued.

806. R.Q.-When any person, below the rank of officer, belonging to a ship under sailing orders remains absent without leave, the Captain is to place an R.Q. against his name on the ship's books, and before sailing, or so soon after as possible, is to furnish the Senior Officer with a list of any such absentees, together with a detailed statement of the circumstances in each case. This is not intended to apply to ships merely moving from one home port to another.

2. Removal of R.Q.-If any such absentee should return, or be apprehended and brought back after the ship has sailed, the Captain of the ship to which he may return or be brought back is, under the authority of the Senior Officer, to investigate the case, taking into consideration whether the fact of the ship being under sailing orders was generally known, and if it should appear that the absentee had no intention of deserting, he is to be summarily dealt with on board that ship. The Senior Officer is then to inform the Captain of the ship from which the man absented himself of his having been dealt with, when the latter officer is to cause the R.Q. to be removed for pay and time. The Senior Officer is also to report the case to the Admiralty for information, and is to refer for Admiralty decision all cases in which the information available is insufficient to enable the Captain dealing with the case to arrive at a just conclusion.

3. If the R.Q. should have been placed against the name of a man or boy absent under the conditions provided for in Article 881, and if the Senior Officer should obtain satisfactory proof of the truth of the statement, he is to inform the man's Captain of the fact, who is to cause the R.Q. to be removed for time and pay, the Senior Officer also acquainting the Admiralty of each case so dealt with.

4. R. substituted for R.Q.-Should there be clear proof that any such absentee had intended to desert, he is to be summarily dealt with for desertion, procedure similar to that indicated in clause 2 of this Article being followed, and the notation R. being substituted for R.Q. against his name.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

That is very interesting. So it looks like they do not bother to do anything and they are just discharged
      Thank you for your help
      Regards
      Ann

Comment

Working...
      X