No announcement yet.

Can anyone find this gent please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure about this one. Does George Francis aka Francis Usher ever appear on his children’s marriage certificates as a servant rather than a teacher ?

6E6E5F62-4574-4B50-9248-C2DCFD95678E.jpeg

Comment

1861 census
      69 Prebend Street, Islington, London & Middlesex, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
      Francis Usher Head Married Male 37 1824 Warehouse Porter Marylebone, Middlesex, England
      Amelia Usher Wife Married Female 40 1821 - Norfolk, England
      William F Usher Son Unmarried Male 9 1852 Scholar Marylebone, Middlesex, England

Comment

Above census info, plus William's birth, already posted at #14

Comment

If this Francis is the same as the one who married Mary Ann in 1842 then he wasn’t ‘of full age’ as he claimed. With a birth year of 1823/4 he would have been only 18/19.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
            Above census info, plus William's birth, already posted at #14
            Oops! Sorry, I missed that.

Comment

Transcript of the handwritten section of the settlement examination document on ancestry as per post #10 - after the printed words “and that the settlement of the said”

Mary Usher and her two lawful children is in your said Parish of St Mary, Islington For that on the 12th day of September 1842 at the Parish Church of St James Westminster in the said County of Middlesex she was lawfully Married to her present husband George Francis Usher who has deserted her. -
              That the said George Francis Usher the husband of the said Mary Usher was in the year 1860 in the occupation of a Tenement as Tenant thereof which Tenement consisted of a Separate and distinct Dwelling House Situate No 69 Prebend Street in the Parish of St Mary Islington in the said County of Middlesex at a Rent of £ 10 a year and upwards and occupied the same and resided therein for a period of two years and paid the Rent for the same from year to year in respect thereof and was charged with and paid his share of one or More or all of the Public Taxes levies and Parochial Rates in respect of the said Tenement during the whole of period above mentioned and never acquired a Subsequent Settlement.
              Given under our hands this Eighth day of October 1862
              3 signatures which I can’t make out but were
              “A Majority of the Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor of the said Parish of St Pancras, in the County of Middlesex”

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                a Separate and distinct Dwelling House [?_______?] No 69 Prebend Street
                Situate No 69 Prebend Street

Comment

Situate No 69 Prebend Street
                  That was just not coming out for me LOL Well done!
                  I’ll add it in to the transcript in case Lensgirl wants to cut and paste.

Comment

I think these are the addresses for Francis and Amelia. Both years they are the only two in the household.

Edward Street, Marylebone, London & Middlesex, England

1, Nottingham Street, St Marylebone, Marylebone, London & Middlesex, England

Comment

Amelia’s death?
                      USHER, AMELIA 74
                      GRO Reference: 1888 M Quarter in MARYLEBONE Volume 01A Page 462

Comment

Ta-Dah!! (I hope ). Note the number 806. You’ll need that to order the will. I see that somebody not obviously related proved the will and is shown as “one of the executors”. Hopefully he left something to his children by Mary.

26590008-45B3-4FFE-B951-BA78F1E18393.jpeg

Comment

Kensington is the correct Reg District for Notting Hill
                          USHER, FRANCIS 63
                          GRO Reference: 1891 M Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 71

Comment

Blimey thank you so much! I have a busy weekend this weekend (making the most of the bank holiday) so I will get looking into all of this Tuesday morning.

Again, thank you for your hard work!
                            Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

William Groom seemed a very 'precise' set of forenames, so I wondered about this marriage at St Botolph: 3 Apr 1820 William Groom & Sarah Usher

Who were the witnesses to his marriage to Mary? Was any occupation given for his father?
                              Hi. I believe the witnesses to this marriage are James Danslow and Sophia Danslow. They are the brother and sister of my nans great grandfather. On James's marriage in 1846 he has a witness G.F. Usher, which I think is too much of a coincidence for it not to be the two families
                              Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X