Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find this gent please?

Hi

I have a man, George Francis Usher and the only evidence I have that he exists is of his marriage and some of children's baptisms. They reside in St Pancras, and he marries Mary Ann Briant in 1842. Several children are born in St Pancras between then and 1852, but only Mary and her children exist in 1851, with her listed as a Charwoman. In the marriage and baptism records, George is listed as a schoolmaster as well as in the children's marriages later on. I know he is definitely around in 1846 as he is a witness to a wedding.

I dont yet have a family match, however his descendant is a DNA match to my nan (52cm) and the person whose wedding he witnessed and who witnesses his wedding are my 3x great aunt and uncle (my nans great granddads siblings) so they must have known each other. At his wedding he listed his place of residence as Pulteney Street, I have looked through the 1841 census to see if he has been mis-transcribed but i cant find him, however there is an Isaac Loose who is a schoolmaster in that street. I guess it could be a school house that gets passed to employees?

There is a baptism of a George Francis Usher in 1788, but without seeing any idea of age I cant say one way or the other if that is him. Again, there is a marriage to a Pheobe Lumley, but in 1841 she is alone with no children so I have no idea if that is related or not.

Its like he appears, gets married and leaves with no trace!
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Who was his father and what occupation did he have on George’s marriage certificate?

I presume George’s age on marriage is the wonderfully useless “of full age”

Comment

Yes, unfortunately he is of age! his father is listed as Francis, however his wife lists her father as Francis and im pretty sure she was actually illegitimate so lied. In occupation for both father it says the also helpful "deceased"!
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

There are large parts of london missing from the 1841 census, is st pancras covered?

what does mary say for marital status in 1851?

Comment

Mary lists herself as married. She also has a child in 1852, then in 1862 herself and two youngest children are in the workhouse and it states her husband is a schoolmaster. I cant find the family in 1861 though, in 1871 Mary is still calling herself married
          Robyne

Comment

I did note the workhouse record. So sad. I will check out more in case it reveals father's whereabouts. Francis Edward b 1846 was registered in Royston, Herts and on one census b Ware. ? Father in that area.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
              Yes, unfortunately he is of age! his father is listed as Francis, however his wife lists her father as Francis and im pretty sure she was actually illegitimate so lied. In occupation for both father it says the also helpful "deceased"!
              How annoying no wonder you are finding it hard. The 1788 baptism I see on ancestry index says father’s name Peter so must be different George.

Comment

Emma and Francis were admitted to the Central Schools District School at Hanwell in 1861 when they entered the workhouse with mother in October of that year. There school admission register just says 'mother in the house'. Mary Ann, Emma and Francis left St Pancras workhouse May 1862. Unfortunately no Creed register for St Pancras that I can find.

Vera

Comment

I’ve checked GRO online index from 1846 when he was last known to be alive and 1921 for the death of a George Francis USHER but no joy. I went to 1921/23 as if he was just barely of full age (21) when he married in 1842 then the latest birth year for him would be 1821. It’s unlikely that he reached 100+ but worth checking.
                  I note that one of his children’s marriages he is shown as just Francis.
                  I’m on the move again in a mo so maybe you could check for a death of Francis George USHER? If no joy then he’s died as either plain George or Francis which is hard to pin down.

Comment

There is a settlement examination for her (Mary) in 1861 - its unindexed though so you have to go looking for it, which is why its always helpful to post full details of any workhouse admissions.

It says her husband has deserted her. The writing is a bit difficult to read but gives an address for him at Freeborn? Street, Islington, where she believed he'd been living for a year. Another address given is 8 Tonbridge Street, Euston Road.

To find the record manually select: London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1738-1926 > Camden > St Pancras > Settlement Papers > Rough Examinations Book 1861-1862 > Image 94 of 283.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...cklabel=Return

Comment

I thought that could be Freeling Street using an address search on FMP 1861 census but the numbers are only up to the high 40s.

Comment

I cannot see him at 8 Tonbridge Street in 1861. Multi-occupancy rooms? Flats?
                        Registration district St Pancras
                        Enumeration district 2
                        Archive reference RG09
                        Piece number 104
                        Folio 72
                        Page 38
                        Phil
                        historyhouse.co.uk
                        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I don’t see him hiding in Tonbridge Street either as George with any surname assuming he’s still in education?

Comment

I’m still trying to make out that address is Islington too – could it be 69 Prebend Street, Islington?
                            Francis Usher 37 Warehouse Porter b Marylebone
                            Amelia Usher 40 wife b Walsham, Norfolk
                            William Usher 9 b Marylebone

USHER, WILLIAM GROOM mmn LANE GRO Reference: 1852 M Quarter in MARYLEBONE Volume 01A Page 326

There are records for William Groom Usher on Ancestry, but its playing up for me at the moment so I cant see the images.

Comment

Removal Order from St Pancras to St Mary's Islington for Mary and the two children.
                              To prove the removal the order states that her husband paid rent on 69 Prebend (Prebind?) Street, Islington.
                              Needs transcribing.

Is Frances Usher a relation?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...cklabel=Return
                              Phil
                              historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

I still cant open any images on Ancestry so unfortunately I cant see what you've posted, but there is an 1852 baptism for William Groom Usher and from the transcription his parents were Francis & Amelia as per the 1861 census at Prebend Street (post #14)

Comment

Finally - I can open images again.

The removal order is clear about his address being 69 Prebend Street, so it does look like George Francis Usher and Francis Usher are the same person.

Also the baptism of William Groom Usher at St George, Hanover Square:

13 Apr 1852 (born 18 Jan 1852) William Groom [Usher] s/o Francis & Amelia Usher, Upper Norton Street, Porter.

Emma was still a baby when William was born:
                                  USHER, EMMA MARIA mmn BRYANT GRO Reference: 1851 J Quarter in SAINT PANCRAS Volume 01 Page 350
                                  USHER, WILLIAM GROOM mmn LANE GRO Reference: 1852 M Quarter in MARYLEBONE Volume 01A Page 326

Comment

Sworn Settlement Examination.

Phil
                                    historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

William Groom seemed a very 'precise' set of forenames, so I wondered about this marriage at St Botolph: 3 Apr 1820 William Groom & Sarah Usher

Who were the witnesses to his marriage to Mary? Was any occupation given for his father?

Comment

The marriage is on Ancestry. Sorry can't link. Mary Ann Bryant September 1842 St James, Westminster marriages. No occupations given for parents of couple. Just deceased. Witnesses not legible.

I can see a possible marriage for Francis Usher and Amelia Lane

St George, Hanover Square
                                        07 Dec 1850
                                        Francis Usher full age Bachelor Grosvenor St father Francis Usher oc c Currier
                                        Amelia Lane full age Spinster. ". ". father Groom Lane oc c Tanner

vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X