New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York

My Grandfather had an Aunt, Fanny Barron (I believe she may also have gone by the name of Fay), born 1 Jan 1904 in London and died 31 May 1986 in London. My research has led me to believe that she travelled to New York 4 times. Was travel to America this common back then? Also would there by any way of finding out why she travelled there, as in work or just a holiday?

Thank you

Esther

Presumably she had the money to travel, but yes, people went back and forth. You don't mention what decades she was traveling, but jet airlines were available making the travel time much shorter.

Immigration/travel records usually give reasons for travel/occupations/places of stay and/or contacts. Perhaps this is her? In this case she's traveling with Gertrude Barron, and her occupation is Tailoress (Gertrude's is milliner)
    Fanny Barron
    Female
    Hebrew
    abt 1905
    England
    London
    Southampton, England and Cobh, Ireland
    20 Jul 1939
    New York, New York, USA
    Manhattan

Comment

Do you know other family members? Here's another possible one:
      Fanny Baron
      Female
      Hebrew
      abt 1905
      England
      London
      Liverpool, England
      1 Jul 1907
      New York, New York, USA
      Umbria
      She's traveling with mother Kate and sibs Charles and Leah. I think it's saying they're traveling to see a brother

Comment

This one gives her destination address in Philadelphia, as well as her British passport number
        https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer...pId=3027046962
        Fay Barron
        Female
        British (English)
        Single
        abt 1904
        Southampton, England
        23 May 1951
        New York, New York, USA
        America
        So, sure, if she had money to pay the passage, and the time she could take off from work, why not go visit family?

there are more records, not necessarily all hers. Do you have access? It may be possible to determine who lived at the address in Philadelphia.

Comment

In 1936 Fanny and Gertrude travelled to NY to visit friend Samuel Cowan 1725 Eastburn Avene, Bronx, NYC. They paid the fare and planned to stay for 2 months

In 1939 Fanny and Gertrude travelled to NY to visit friend Miss Mandel, 159 West 97th St, NYC. They paid the fare and planned to stay 2 months

The name and address of relative from whence they came was mother, Mrs J Barron, 5 Rutherford House, Brady Street London

Vera

Comment

Well found everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              Do you know other family members? Here's another possible one:
              Fanny Baron
              Female
              Hebrew
              abt 1905
              England
              London
              Liverpool, England
              1 Jul 1907
              New York, New York, USA
              Umbria
              She's traveling with mother Kate and sibs Charles and Leah. I think it's saying they're traveling to see a brother
              https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer...pId=4012703555
              No this isn’t the right Fanny. Was looking earlier and from memory (short term, fallible!) this one was born in Russia and later naturalised in the USA. The 1936 and 1939 trips mentioned by Vera in post 5 are the correct Fanny with address 5 Rutherford House.

Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

No this isn’t the right Fanny. Was looking earlier and from memory (short term, fallible!) this one was born in Russia and later naturalised in the USA. The 1936 and 1939 trips mentioned by Vera in post 5 are the correct Fanny with address 5 Rutherford House.

Christine
                The family in the link have Russian nationality, but if you follow to the end of the line, Mom and kids were born in London, England.

Comment

You guys are so good I have located quite a few travel documents that I have added to my tree. I believed that she died in the UK. I don't think she ever married though.

Esther

Comment

Ancestry have a death registration for June Q 1986​​

Fanny Barron b 09 01 1904
                    Islington Reg

Jewish Gen have a record for

Fanny Barron
                    Buried 02 06 1986
                    Cheshunt Cemetery
                    Plot 8, 18, 8
                    Source Adath Yisrael Burial Society
                    London Community