No announcement yet.

Where next to look.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't remember - is this your husband's paternal grandfather that is in question? Y-DNA testing might give a surname to work from if that is the case. And the US Father's Day is coming up, so the test will go on sale. Usual recommendation is to test at FamilyTreeDNA. YSeq is another possibility.

Comment

• It is my husbands paternal grandfather I'm looking for, will definitely look into the Y-DNA test. Never know I may end up emailing a match on one of these DNA sites and it ends up being someone from that side of his family.

Comment

• Getting no where, seems most of the dna matches are on his nans side. But I'm not giving up

Comment

• Originally posted by sookie23 View Post
          It is my husbands paternal grandfather I'm looking for, will definitely look into the Y-DNA test. Never know I may end up emailing a match on one of these DNA sites and it ends up being someone from that side of his family.
          Sookie I puzzled over this reply to Photofamily. I thought it was your husband's maternal grandfather who was in question??

Vera

Comment

Getting no where, seems most of the dna matches are on his nans side. But I'm not giving up
            Don't know how to post a double quote. By Nan do you mean Doris?

Very disappointing for you but early days yet and finding DNA matches quite different from finding records to support known people. Fingers crossed

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Sookie I puzzled over this reply to Photofamily. I thought it was your husband's maternal grandfather who was in question??

Vera
              so it is. His maternal grandfather.

Yes nan is Doris, think the DNA is the only way I may possibly find out.

Have had an email from someone and so far there is no matches on their tree's to the names mentioned.

Comment

• if you are looking for DNA matches I guess there will be no name that will match your tree? as it will be an unknown father and his subsequent family (if of course he had any), would you need to focus on males of the right age and the area? or am I missing something
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Have you asked the match if they have a more complete tree offline? I only keep a direct line tree attached to my DNA results.

Comment

• Carolyn have no idea when it comes to DNA and where to look, but I now understand the need to match different people up to the ones I now know are from family I can trace.

I have asked regarding a tree and they don't have one. All they have said is its from her dads side of the family.

Comment

• I don't know anything about DNA either, but can see you are now hoping to find a father that has (or likely has) no other link to your tree. The DNA matches will have to lead to someone of the 'right' age and presumably living in the area where Gerald was born. I am assuming this will be a better match if the man fathered other children and this family have DNA tests.

That is all that you have to go on, there won't be any people in the tree the same as yours, well unless there was some goings on within the family.

I think in my head this is right the same process if a child has been adopted.
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 06-06-21, 22:09.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                        the same process if a child has been adopted.
                        Yes, a professional genetic genealogist told me once - the techniques developed for adoptees looking for their bioparent(s) work for everyone.

DNAADOPTION.com

Comment

• Not sure I fully understand Carolyn.

Comment

• Seem a member of Gerald family don't quite agree with what we have found out and insists that the Sadie that married a Joseph Carroll in Bucklow is the right woman. Not the one we have married with the address that I have.

So I'm going to now add all the people form Bucklow to the tree and see if any dna matches will come along then on ancestry.

Comment

Not sure I fully understand Carolyn.
                              I may have misunderstood, but you said
                              "I now think that Doris had an affair with Gerald but she already had her daughter. So now the hunt is to find out who is the biological father of her daughter."

if this is the case the biological father could be anyone, no one that you have researched previously. The DNA could lead you to this mans relatives , but they are likely to be strangers in your tree, I can only think that you will have to focus on location and age to pinpoint the father. DNA experts on here may be able to throw more light on how to research.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Seem a member of Gerald family don't quite agree with what we have found out and insists that the Sadie that married a Joseph Carroll in Bucklow is the right woman. Not the one we have married with the address that I have.

So I'm going to now add all the people form Bucklow to the tree and see if any dna matches will come along then on ancestry.
                                ooh now I am lost, who is Sadie and Joseph? the right woman for what?
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

• For some reason I'm being told her name was Sadie? there is a record of a Sadie Kinsella marrying a Joseph Carroll so they have put two and two together and come up with that's her.

But what they are not getting is the fact there is no Gerald Kinsella born no Gerald Carroll born on the records. I'm sticking to the Condon side of it all as to me that's the correct side. Sadie could have been a nick name who knows.

Yes I think she had an affair, but her daughter was already born. So its now its down to good old DNA to try and figure out who. A task and half I can tell you

Comment

For some reason I'm being told her name was Sadie? there is a record of a Sadie Kinsella marrying a Joseph Carroll so they have put two and two together and come up with that's her.
                                    who was called Sadie? Geralds mother? ie elizabeth condon and not John Kinsella? I think that must refer to another couple, do you have the marriage link? have they got the cert?

Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

• Millie knew Gerald's mother but I am sure she said her name was Sadie Kinsella. I found a marriage in a Register office in Bucklow, Cheshire. She married a Joseph Carroll and I wonder if this was actually Gerald's stepfather and given his surname as he was illegitimate. They were living in Wilmslow. Was the whole story about Boston and the USA a fabrication as I have never found a Gerald Carroll there. Sadie's father was John Kinsella, a gamekeeper. Even more confusion!

This is the email I got the other day. Millie was Geralds 2nd wife.

Comment

• Hmmm - not sure what others think, but that doesn't look that likely. You know that her name was Elizabeth from address on reg of electors and 1939 reg. Guess worth trying to trace Sadie and see where she goes
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X