Clear All

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Just parking this one. Date and month of birth as 1939

Elizabeth Condon b 20 May 1897 Labbamolagga, Mitchelstown, Cork
    Father Patrick - Blacksmith
    Mother Mary Sullivan

On 1901 with family
    1911 disappears.
    Possible sighting 1915 aged 16 Liverpool to NY accompanying children Catherine 10, Ellen 5

Are these record on Ancestry as I'm trying to find it to add to Elizabeth on my tree.

Comment

• this is the Liverpool to USA, wonder if she was meeting someone there

Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Originally posted by sookie23 View Post

Are these record on Ancestry as I'm trying to find it to add to Elizabeth on my tree.
        The birth cert from Irishgenealogy.ie. You can get to see the actual birth record for free.

The 1901 and 1911 Ireland census is online with free image.

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          this is the Liverpool to USA, wonder if she was meeting someone there

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e&pId=34242041
          Many thanks for the link will save that now. Will also try and find the people she went over with. Looking at it would you say that's a Frank Condon under Elizabeth and her two companions.

Comment

The birth cert from Irishgenealogy.ie. You can get to see the actual birth record for free.

The 1901 and 1911 Ireland census is online with free image.

Vera
            More sites to look on thank you.

Comment

I've been thinking the same thing.

Strange they recorded his birth without a name. Wonder if she registered him at a later date either in America or Ireland. So would he have been classed as American or Irish?
              If you look at the register, there are 9 births in a row by physician D Donald, with DOBs varying Jan 6-7 and reported Jan 9. In the US, a physician would be held responsible (or the hospital) for reporting the births. And in the early days of Civil Reg in the US, mom may not have thought it was important to update the birth record.

Not sure that a "birth cert" from MA will give you anything more than you already see - you could try to find out before buying, tho I don't know where you would go to find out.

Strong work Vera!

Comment

Many thanks for the link will save that now. Will also try and find the people she went over with. Looking at it would you say that's a Frank Condon under Elizabeth and her two companions.
                I am reading Carolan.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

More sites to look on thank you.
                  Sookie

Let me know if you need any links. I tend to use a Kindle but can switch to Windows

Vera

Comment

• Is this the likely census, quite a few more children
                    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource

edit - don't think it is
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 16-05-21, 22:13.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Is this the likely census, quite a few more children
                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource

edit - don't think it is
                      That's the one I thought was a p ossible. Same address as other doc.

Vera

Comment

• Not too sure about this as b an Elizabeth, then Eliza and this is Lizzie! There is another Lizzie Condon, living in Cork with a sister Hannah and father Patrick.

On Ancestry Massecheusetts Arrival Passengers 1820-1963

23 April 1914 SS Cymnic

Line 17 2 pages

Lizzie Condon aged 17, Servant. Last permanent address Kilfinane

Name and address of relevant person from whence she came:
                        Patrick Condon
                        Labba------
                        Knockanevin
                        ?Co Limerick

Destination: W Lynn. Joining sister Hannah Condon at ? Tubber Hospital, W Lynn

Vera

Comment

• I thought it was it but the 1911 census is this one https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...d=162288556697
                          and threw me, Garrett I assume is Daniel, Ellen and Catherine (from shipping) no sign. will have a look later just off out

Patrick Condon 56 Head
                          Thomas Condon 35 Brother
                          Mary Condon 54 Wife
                          Garrett Condon 19 Son
                          John Condon 14 Son
                          Margaret Condon 12 Daughter
                          Patrick Condon 40 Head of Family (Head)
                          Mary Condon 38 Wife
                          Daniel Condon 12 Son
                          Hanna Condon 10 Daughter
                          John Condon 5 Son
                          Eliza Condon 3 Daughter
                          Margaret Condon 2 Daughter

Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

• Garrett is with uncles David, Jeremiah and Thomas in 1901.

For info from Irishgenealogy.ie

All children of Patrick Condon, Backsmith and Mary Sullivan of Labbamologgia reg district Mitchelstown

​​​Elizabeth b 1897 20 May

Annie M 1888
                            Ellen b 15 April 1887
                            Daniel b 1889 7 June d 24 May 1919 Lynn, Mass
                            Johanna b 1890 12 July
                            Garrett b 1892 9 July
                            John b 1895 19 Dec
                            Margaret b 1899 5 April

According to 1911 Patrick and Mary had 11 children born, 9 living.

​​​​​

Vera

Comment

• Thank you for the extra info. I'm happy with any links or any extra info you have as it all helps.

I found on my side of the family they filled their census in using the Knick names they actually called their children, I even had a iggy down.

I posted a question on Ancestry board regarding the missing name on the records and here is the reply

Unwed mothers of that era did often give birth in a hospital, and often the hospital would register several of these births at once so that there would be several unnamed children on the same page. I don't know the situation, but if the father was involved with raising the child there could be something in probate records where he declared himself the father, which would provide the child's name and date of birth.

Comment

Thank you for the extra info. I'm happy with any links or any extra info you have as it all helps.

I found on my side of the family they filled their census in using the Knick names they actually called their children, I even had a iggy down.

I posted a question on Ancestry board regarding the missing name on the records and here is the reply

Unwed mothers of that era did often give birth in a hospital, and often the hospital would register several of these births at once so that there would be several unnamed children on the same page. I don't know the situation, but if the father was involved with raising the child there could be something in probate records where he declared himself the father, which would provide the child's name and date of birth.
                                I have seen whole lists of babies born to unwed mothers. Just feel the Boston list slightly different in that she is the only unwed mother there. Further research could be done as I seem to remember a site with hospital admissions for Boston. Will see if I can find it again

I think Elizabeth is very likely to have had Gerald christened very soon after she was discharged from hospital. Getting that would mean finding out where she was living at the time prior to the Lying in. Not sure the hotel mentioned would be her home address but then if she were a Cook maybe

I have posted a possible journey into Boston. She is joining a sister Hannah but that would all need to be researched to confirm the correct family but may turn up something. It's always worth seeing what can be picked up. Finding Geralds father maybe more difficult if he doesn't want to be found

Vera

Comment

• In case it helps this is a summary of the 'known' siblings 8 so far need 3 more with 2 deaths before 1911

Daniel Condon 1889–
                                  Hanna Condon 1891–
                                  Garrett Condon 1892–
                                  John Condon 1896–
                                  Elizabeth M Condon 1898–1966
                                  Margaret Condon 1899–
                                  Catherine Condon 1905–
                                  Ellen Condon 1910–
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

• As expected Gerald will was seriously pretty useless to me but never mind. Still waiting for the Kinsella one.

I'm just about to email Boston.
                                    I did have anther reply on Ancestry saying that the record will be the same as what I see on the register, I have questioned this? Would they have been able to travel without documents?

Comment

In case it helps this is a summary of the 'known' siblings 8 so far need 3 more with 2 deaths before 1911

Daniel Condon 1889–
                                      Hanna Condon 1891–
                                      Garrett Condon 1892–
                                      John Condon 1896–
                                      Elizabeth M Condon 1898–1966
                                      Margaret Condon 1899–
                                      Catherine Condon 1905–
                                      Ellen Condon 1910–
                                      so so so many children. Lets hope there was some talk about Elizabeth (in a nice way) that has gone down the family over the years. Will add them to my family tree and see what it brings up.

Vera may be coming across a bit thick but what do you mean by laying in

I'm wondering why she went to America with two sisters, wondering if there was family there.

Comment

• Should be Lying in as in waiting for baby to be born and then delivered.

Post 131 has a Lizzie going to Sister Hannah. This was the usual thing for Irish people to head off for a better life hopefully in the USA. They would often go to a relative who may have even helped with fare but would support them initially. Same as Irish families to the UK.

If that Lizzie is yours it may help to find where she lived in Boston via Sister Hannah. I' m sure Elizabeth would have been talked kindly off. She would not have been the first and as long as it was made to look as normal ie married that would have been OK.

Hope Boston email will shed some light on whether there is likely to be a bc.

Will post link for Boston Lying in Hospital records

Vera

Comment

Not too sure about this as b an Elizabeth, then Eliza and this is Lizzie! There is another Lizzie Condon, living in Cork with a sister Hannah and father Patrick.

On Ancestry Massecheusetts Arrival Passengers 1820-1963

23 April 1914 SS Cymnic

Line 17 2 pages

Lizzie Condon aged 17, Servant. Last permanent address Kilfinane

Name and address of relevant person from whence she came:
                                          Patrick Condon
                                          Labba------
                                          Knockanevin
                                          ?Co Limerick

Destination: W Lynn. Joining sister Hannah Condon at ? Tubber Hospital, W Lynn

Vera
                                          Think this is ok. Have found sister Hannah in 1910 census with another sister Annie M whose marriage to Patrick Golden in Massacheusetts fits with Patrick and Mary nee Sullivan. Also with Annie M is Nellie and Daniel Condon.

The couple name one of their boys Gerald.
                                          ​​​​​

​​​​​​

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                          X