Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    will search papers for that - you never know, even if it is an advert - nice to see something of a connection.

Different era - but here is an example of some things I found for my gr gr grandfather http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co...17-blacksmith/

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    did the company have a name? or just went by his name?
    That's just reminded me, I have some vehicle registrations that were for his business. I will look at them tomorrow as they may have a company name on.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Was he ever known as Fred!

Can't see this on GRO

Frederick G Carroll
    1918 Mar q 1918
    Fulham reg district
    1a 380
    Mother's maiden name Carroll

I did note that from 1950 Elizabeth added M to her name on the Burns Road electoral roll

Vera
    wonder why not on GRO? Tried all sorts and doesn't seem to be there.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    did the company have a name? or just went by his name?

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    I'm not to sure his death would have made it into the papers as I'm sure he was just delivering to there not actually working for them. He had his own driver/delivery company based at Bensham Grove Thornton Heath.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by sookie23 View Post
    From what we know he died whilst working. I've not thought of looking at news papers, is there a good site to do that or just the normal genealogy sites?

I don't have the information to be able to obtain the divorce record for Gerald and Elsie. I'm sure I've read, I need who petitioned for the divorce, the case number, this is information I don't have, but wont hurt to email the GRO to ask.

Witnesses L M Rogers and T H Rogers.
    it's the courts for divorce papers copy https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Can't see this on GRO

Frederick G Carroll
    1918 Mar q 1918
    Fulham reg district
    1a 380

I did note that from 1950 Elizabeth added M to her name on the Burns Road electoral roll

Vera

I did start to check him out, but decided he was another person, but on second look I can't categorically say who I thought he was, other than there are a couple on the reg of electors.

sookie23 Newspapers can be helpful sometimes, some areas are better than others on a coverage basis. and also whether they will be in the papers. a more rural edition can feature your ancestor a lot more than say the london papers. Always worth a look. I did just wonder if there had been some kind of accident at work and that would have made the papers. I have a subscription to the https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ and it can also be included in a Findmypast package (same data - different search) The BNA let you search for free, so worth creating an account. You can also see the snippets it brings up. you can bookmark articles - I used to do that pre covid and then pop down to the library and then download all my bookmarks for free, and then read at home. Once you have downloaded it stays on your account.

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    Not that I'm aware of as far as I know he went by the name Jerry to friends. But worth looking into the Fredrick side.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied

Can't see this on GRO

Frederick G Carroll
    1918 Mar q 1918
    Fulham reg district
    1a 380

Vera

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    Sorry totally forgot to say we are both waiting for our DNA results from Ancestry. Sent them off around the 12th April so still a while to wait.

It seems to be one brick wall after the other with Gerald.

I've also been searching for his mum, lucky enough we did have an address for her and from that address we have found her name to have been Elizabeth Kinsella. Who prior to being a Kinsella was a Carroll. Slowing digging through her in the hope of coming across her and Gerald somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoFamily
    replied
    From the description I quoted (and what cbcarolyn wrote), it doesn't sound likely that the divorce records still exist - but still worth asking if it's not costly to do so.

Have you considered DNA testing?

Those witnesses are not enlightening, are they. Sigh.

He may have answered questions about his father differently on the second marriage cert than he did on the first. Maybe not. Can't know without looking.

The 1921 UK census comes out soon (relatively).

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    From what we know he died whilst working. I've not thought of looking at news papers, is there a good site to do that or just the normal genealogy sites?

I don't have the information to be able to obtain the divorce record for Gerald and Elsie. I'm sure I've read, I need who petitioned for the divorce, the case number, this is information I don't have, but wont hurt to email the GRO to ask.

Witnesses L M Rogers and T H Rogers.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoFamily
    replied
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    I am not sure if divorce records are available, think question has been asked before.
    "After 1938, very few survive" - uh, oh.
    "Subject to 30 year closure" - so if it exists, you could get it.
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...etails/r/C9685

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Any idea why his death was in Dungeness Power station? A long way from home, thought there maybe a newspaper report, but can't see anything.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I am not sure if divorce records are available, think question has been asked before.

I did look in newspapers, but will have another look. sounds like Vera also looked so guessing nothing there.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoFamily
    replied
    Well, you never know what might be on the other cert unless you buy it. It can, of course, be very disappointing. Sometimes very exciting.

Who were the witnesses to the Elsie-Gerald marriage?

Is it known that Elsie and Gerald divorced? Ancestry only has UK divorce records to 1918 - can a UK researcher address where to look for a UK divorce after 1939?

Oh, and - what about DNA testing?

Is this her second marriage?
    Elsie G Rogers
    Apr 1947
    [May 1947]
    [Jun 1947]
    Apr-May-Jun
    Croydon
    Surrey
    Charles Gray
    5g

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    Just the one to Elsie. I've not come across any divorce records online.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoFamily
    replied
    So, in the 1939 register, Elsie is initially listed as Elsie Carroll, which is then crossed out, and Rogers is written, which is then crossed out and Gray is written.

They divorced? Were the divorce records retrieved?

Have you retrieved both marriage certs or just the one to Elsie?

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    Many thanks for checking that out for me.

All his marriage certificate says: Gerald Carroll, 20 years old, bachelor, lorry driver (cement contractors) ,166 Canterbury Road Croydon. Gerald Carrol (deceased)

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Not able to find anything which reveals dob of Gerald from Army records. Gerald was a Sgt in the RASC and is recorded in the London Gazette on two occasions in 1944. One refers to the approval of the King that Gerald along with others be mentioned in recognition of their gallant and distinguished services in the Middle East.

Do you have Gerald's pob at the time of marriage?

Vera

Leave a comment:

Working...
X