Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/ for wills, you need to select the right year band in tab at top. they are £1.50.

If they say administration then there is no will (sorry I don't know technical terms - someone will correct me hopefully), just a form on who is sorting out the probate. But if you have nothing it may give you something.

I can't remember if there was one now.

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Nope. Probate Service. Official government site. Don’t go with 3rd party ones.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    Do I order the will from the GRO?

Will get them all ordered. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    also it may be worth getting his second marriage cert - see if he puts same fathers name, and also Elizabeths death cert.

She didn't seem to have a will it was just admin, for £1.50 that might be worth getting it could have another address/person on there.

Leave a comment:

• kylejustin
    replied
    I think you need to get the marriage certificate of elizabeth. It will give you her father's name, then you can look in america and ireland for a marriage of her to gerald.

might increase your chances of finding more information.
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    I think I'm going to have to leave him for a while. I've tried the addresses and nothing and there is nothing more dishearten/annoying/frustrating than hitting dead ends continually.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    his beginning certainly sounds elusive. Maybe the next census will provide some answers, now less than a year away hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    Will look at them links now. Had a day off from it all as feel like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall. I've a feeling its going to be a very long search to find Gerald.

My husband does have a copy of the dispatches his nan did give them to him, I've never seen them though.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    There is also the military records if you don't already have them. Charges apply and they can take a long time.

I note that the Croydon memorial has Gerald as belonging to RAMC which I believe to be an error.. Have you seen that Memorial. Centre of Croydon next to Town Hall.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource

Page 8
    https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...36456/data.pdf

Its amazing what comes out of a rummage. It's often said on here you only need one snippet as Carolyn will testify to one of her newspaper finds.

Vera

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    that was worth a rummage. You can try also searching Ancestry and FMP (in keywords - not that reliable - but always worth a try) and newspapers for the addresses, you might find phone book entry/reg of elector or anything really. Another family member might suddenly pop up with them that you never knew existed.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Check out HM Land Registry. The Gov.UK site.

Vera

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    Well I've found 3 addresses now for Gerald Carroll these are on the vehicle registrations and a bank book.

Is there anyway to check old records on who owned a property. I've also come across solicitor letters dated back to 1957 for a purchase of a house. Plus a letter to my husbands nan from the same solicitors in 1963 after Gerald deaths for them to defend her against the claim for possession.

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    That' brilliant. I love looking at old photos and reading about people lives.

Off to look at them vehicle registrations.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    will search papers for that - you never know, even if it is an advert - nice to see something of a connection.

Different era - but here is an example of some things I found for my gr gr grandfather http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co...17-blacksmith/

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    did the company have a name? or just went by his name?
    That's just reminded me, I have some vehicle registrations that were for his business. I will look at them tomorrow as they may have a company name on.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Was he ever known as Fred!

Can't see this on GRO

Frederick G Carroll
    1918 Mar q 1918
    Fulham reg district
    1a 380
    Mother's maiden name Carroll

I did note that from 1950 Elizabeth added M to her name on the Burns Road electoral roll

Vera
    wonder why not on GRO? Tried all sorts and doesn't seem to be there.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    did the company have a name? or just went by his name?

Leave a comment:

• sookie23
    replied
    I'm not to sure his death would have made it into the papers as I'm sure he was just delivering to there not actually working for them. He had his own driver/delivery company based at Bensham Grove Thornton Heath.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by sookie23 View Post
    From what we know he died whilst working. I've not thought of looking at news papers, is there a good site to do that or just the normal genealogy sites?

I don't have the information to be able to obtain the divorce record for Gerald and Elsie. I'm sure I've read, I need who petitioned for the divorce, the case number, this is information I don't have, but wont hurt to email the GRO to ask.

Witnesses L M Rogers and T H Rogers.
    it's the courts for divorce papers copy https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Was he ever known as Fred!

Can't see this on GRO

Frederick G Carroll
    1918 Mar q 1918
    Fulham reg district
    1a 380
    Mother's maiden name Carroll

I did note that from 1950 Elizabeth added M to her name on the Burns Road electoral roll

Vera

I did start to check him out, but decided he was another person, but on second look I can't categorically say who I thought he was, other than there are a couple on the reg of electors.

sookie23 Newspapers can be helpful sometimes, some areas are better than others on a coverage basis. and also whether they will be in the papers. a more rural edition can feature your ancestor a lot more than say the london papers. Always worth a look. I did just wonder if there had been some kind of accident at work and that would have made the papers. I have a subscription to the https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ and it can also be included in a Findmypast package (same data - different search) The BNA let you search for free, so worth creating an account. You can also see the snippets it brings up. you can bookmark articles - I used to do that pre covid and then pop down to the library and then download all my bookmarks for free, and then read at home. Once you have downloaded it stays on your account.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X