No announcement yet.

Where next to look.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for Hannah I just have the 1920 census that was posted on here as Nurse Girl. Nothing to say 100% certain. i didn't find anything obvious for her.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• I will have a good look tomorrow.

Comment

• Well husbands DNA results came in today only saying 2% Irish in the ethnic reading. This gets me thinking that if Gerald who was of an Irish parent his DNA would have shown a higher level of Irish, am I correct in thinking this

Comment

• Sookie. Can't comment on DNA but 2% seems V low. Other members hopefully will pick up your query or maybe separate thread but then that would need a reference to this one.

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by sookie23 View Post
            Well husbands DNA results came in today only saying 2% Irish in the ethnic reading. This gets me thinking that if Gerald who was of an Irish parent his DNA would have shown a higher level of Irish, am I correct in thinking this
            Are you going to put on Ancestry? in a day or 2 you will get some matches hopefully, not sure how reliable the ethnicity is, others will comment, my son and brother are my only ones and it seems reasonable, but had been revised several times over the years! 2% does seem low if his mother was irish, but her family could have moved to ireland.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Will post in DNA thread

Comment

• So far I've messaged 4 people 2 have replied one is on the father in laws side the other on the nans side, still waiting for the other two to reply, still hoping for a hit on the grandads side, but not holding out much hope. I'm certain that Gerald is not the biological grandfather.

I've put the DNA on GEDmatch and also My Heritage, my heritage are wanting £35 for me to see the ethnics of the DNA and to use their tools, still undecided if I should pay this or not. I did do a search function with the matched using the names Carroll, Condon, Golden but nothing came up.

On Ancestry there are no throughlines in any member of the grandads side of the family. I would have thought there would have at least been one, seeing we did get a fair way with the family.

Comment

• I must admit I have very few hits from my Dads line, my husband side has many many matches all over, not sure why. There are lots on here that work with DNA and they will give advice.

Annoying though, guess with DNA there is always the possibility of fathers not being fathers :(

there also lots of people that never reply on ancestry.
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-05-21, 22:31.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

• It seems a bit of a let down after all the hunting we all did to find Gerald, but never mind, theses things happen.

DNA is a subject id like to read about as all the terminology is lost on me.

Comment

• hopefully the family found is correct, even if not biological, would be the family that everyone thought was right.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

• I'm a bit confused. I need to read a bit more into this but have no knowledge of DNA. I do hope that the Elizabeth and Gerald previously identified are your husband's kin Sookie.

Sookie did you contact the Laying in Hospital at Boston for any possible records of the birth found.?

Did you ever request Army records?

Vera

Comment

• Hi Vera their records only went up to 1901 so nothing there. The birth records i was told would stay as it was recorded as there wasn't any notes added to it, therefore it would have had to have been Gerald to add his father at a later date, which he wouldn't have done as living in the UK. Then we get to the story of Elizabeth marring a Gerald Carroll whilst living in America and him dying so her and baby Gerald coming back. But as we see on the immigration she was a Condon on her return.

Never requested army records, form what I understand they take about a year to come through, due to the covid backlog.

DNA I have no idea about have watched a few videos of it on youtube but must admit it so far it has all gone over my head.

Comment

• Hello Sookie. Bit disappointing with the responses

Yes DNA a bit of a minefield. A little bit of googling does reveal however that if your going back a few generations links can be low but what do I know?

When you say husband's grandfather is Gerald Carroll where did you get that info from ? a child's bc or mc?

Will keep thinking

Vera

Comment

• I am a little confused too, do you mean that Geralds child/children are not his, but you know he brought them up as his? So he would be the "adoptive/assumed" father, so still important to find his family, it just can't be confirmed by descendants DNA.

Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

• I think she means the gerald carroll that elizabeth condon claims to have been married to is not the biological father of her child.

Comment

I've put the DNA on GEDmatch and also My Heritage, my heritage are wanting £35 for me to see the ethnics of the DNA and to use their tools, still undecided if I should pay this or not.
                                  I think you can upload to FamilyTreeDNA and LivingDNA for free. IMO, at this point you're looking for matches over ethnicity, and both sites are only going to give you matches unless you pay for more. ftDNA is unlikely to give you anything, but for free, why not look? LDNA is trying to build a database, so again unlikely to get anything.

Comment

• My husbands nan (Doris) was never married but claimed Gerald Carroll was the father of her daughter. Gerald was married twice once in 1939 and then again in 1946. Doris had a girl in 1944 she was born a Remfry and her name wasn't changed on the birth records until 1959 to Carroll. Doris went by the name Mrs Carroll but was never married to him.

To me being that he was of an Irish parent/grandparent there would have been more than the 2% Irish connection.

So now I'm hoping that the DNA results will either find Gerald is the father of Doris daughter via cousins or if not find a cousin that can point me in a direction to find out who was. Who knows if this will ever happen.

I've uploaded the DNA to LDNA still waiting for the results can take a while by the look of it.
                                    MH has given me 3rd cousins onwards
                                    FTDNA I will have a look at now.

Comment

My husbands nan (Doris) was never married but claimed Gerald Carroll was the father of her daughter. Gerald was married twice once in 1939 and then again in 1946. Doris had a girl in 1944 she was born a Remfry and her name wasn't changed on the birth records until 1959 to Carroll. Doris went by the name Mrs Carroll but was never married to him.

To me being that he was of an Irish parent/grandparent there would have been more than the 2% Irish connection.

So now I'm hoping that the DNA results will either find Gerald is the father of Doris daughter via cousins or if not find a cousin that can point me in a direction to find out who was. Who knows if this will ever happen.

I've uploaded the DNA to LDNA still waiting for the results can take a while by the look of it.
                                      MH has given me 3rd cousins onwards
                                      FTDNA I will have a look at now.
                                      That is a shame for your search, Gerald possibly didn't know any different either. So the DNA will not prove Geralds ancestry, which is a shame, as the child would have thought of Gerald as her father. The many records that have been found are making a very good case for being correct, Vera has found lots to tie them together. maybe in the next few years there will be more records released that will strengthen the case, including the UK census out next year. Wonder if we have missed anything.

Finding the biological father (if not Gerald) will be from DNA only and I guess a learning experience, if you feel this is important to know.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

• I've emailed a few more people in hope I get a reply but I wont hold my breath, its a shame really that people have their DNA done then leave it at that.

I'm 100% certain the info we have is all Geralds family, so we have done someone some work if they ever start to look for him. I cant thankyou both enough for the help you have given me. I will eventually move them all over to their own tree.

I now think that Doris had an affair with Gerald but she already had her daughter. So now the hunt is to find out who is the biological father of her daughter.

Comment

• Having read last two posts I think I get it. The Gerald Carroll your husband has known as his grandfather had mother he knew as Nana Kinsella nee Elizabeth Condon. However biologically may not be the case. DNA as Carolyn said only way of maybe finding out truth if that's the route your husband still wants to go down.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                          X