Help trying to find Thomas Jones??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    how far back are you going? worth noting the birth reg district were in Salop before 1844, so not sure where baptisms were

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/stourbridge.html
    Carolyn - 1860's!
    It's a difficult name, no clues on Ancestry apart from his marriage and census' after - might of found him with unmarried mum and siblings living with a man who she later marries but not sure how to prove its the right family - ideally looking for a baptism around same date of birth given on 1939/death reg. Hasbury was/is a part of Halesowen which he uses as place of birth on everything we have found!

Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

Carolyn - 1860's!
      It's a difficult name, no clues on Ancestry apart from his marriage and census' after - might of found him with unmarried mum and siblings living with a man who she later marries but not sure how to prove its the right family - ideally looking for a baptism around same date of birth given on 1939/death reg.
      Can you share name and DOB that you have?

Hasbury was/is a part of Halesowen which he uses as place of birth on everything we have found!
      Just to be sure - you mean he says he was born in Hasbury?

It doesn't look like FS has transcribed all the records that they have. Here's Halesowen - lots of non-CoE churches. Could he have been a Dissenter? You've searched on FS just in case?
      https://www.familysearch.org/search/...Open=373370-50

But nothing pertinent for Hasbury
      https://www.familysearch.org/search/...Open=536318-50
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 11-02-22, 00:09.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

Can you share name and DOB that you have?

Just to be sure - you mean he says he was born in Hasbury?

It doesn't look like FS has transcribed all the records that they have. Here's Halesowen - lots of non-CoE churches. Could he have been a Dissenter? You've searched on FS just in case?
        https://www.familysearch.org/search/...Open=373370-50

But nothing pertinent for Hasbury
        https://www.familysearch.org/search/...Open=536318-50
        Photofamily - Thomas Jones 10th March 1865.
        my boss has brought a lot of BC's to find a Thomas Jones with that dob in the reg district of Stourbridge but to no avail so far. He says he's born Halesowen but if the family I found on 1861 census is them that says Hasbury! I did look on FS but couldn't see anything!
        I'll take a look at your links
        Thanks
        Last edited by tessie31082; 11-02-22, 08:23.

Comment

there is already a thread on this chap

Hi all, trying to help my boss find one of his ancestors! Thomas Jones born around 1871 in Halesowen (according to 1911/1901 census). He married Eliza Guest (born 1874 in Dudley according to 1911 census) in 1903 in Pontypridd but already had a few children registered in his name before getting married. The children are

I think quite a search for his birth at the time. Has he got the 1921 census? what was pob on there? any new news on there
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

there is already a thread on this chap

Hi all, trying to help my boss find one of his ancestors! Thomas Jones born around 1871 in Halesowen (according to 1911/1901 census). He married Eliza Guest (born 1874 in Dudley according to 1911 census) in 1903 in Pontypridd but already had a few children registered in his name before getting married. The children are

I think quite a search for his birth at the time. Has he got the 1921 census? what was pob on there? any new news on there
            Thanks Carolyn,

Yes quite a search! The 1921 census has his year of birth as 1868 (53 years and 3 months - the months ties in with a month of birth as March) and POB as Tylorstown, Glamorganshire (which is where he and his wife 'ran off' to with a few children before later marrying).

Comment

Photofamily - Thomas Jones 10th March 1865.
              my boss has brought a lot of BC's to find a Thomas Jones with that dob in the reg district of Stourbridge but to no avail so far. He says he's born Halesowen but if the family I found on 1861 census is them that says Hasbury! I did look on FS but couldn't see anything!
              I'll take a look at your links
              Thanks
              Oh, dear. Might as well be John Smith!

Has your boss tried DNA? Are there any known direct male line descendants who could do Y-DNA testing if autosomal doesn't provide answers?

Any indication of which faith denomination he might have been involved with?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

Oh, dear. Might as well be John Smith!

Has your boss tried DNA? Are there any known direct male line descendants who could do Y-DNA testing if autosomal doesn't provide answers?

Any indication of which faith denomination he might have been involved with?
                No he hasn't and no-one who is alive knows anything about his childhood / parents!

Comment

Thanks Carolyn,

Yes quite a search! The 1921 census has his year of birth as 1868 (53 years and 3 months - the months ties in with a month of birth as March) and POB as Tylorstown, Glamorganshire (which is where he and his wife 'ran off' to with a few children before later marrying).
                  I guess there is every possibility that he actually doesn't know where he came from.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I guess there is every possibility that he actually doesn't know where he came from.
                    which makes testing any descendant quite valuable. Autosomal first (AncestryDNA, to get into their database then propagate to other sites that accept outside test results). Y-DNA if there is a direct male line descendant of Thomas Jones (i.e., all steps tracking back to him are stated as "son of"). Y-DNA can be useful to identify a surname, not very useful for recent genealogy, except to identify likely candidates from a finite field).
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 11-02-22, 17:04.

Comment

I don't think Hasbury had it's own church and baptisms would take place at Halesowen. My gut feeling is that father 'Richard' is fictitious - may well have been named Richard but not a Richard Jones!

The only Thomas that seems likely to me is the illegitimate Thomas bp.29/6/1864 Halesowen, son of Harriet. Birth appears to be in the June quarter 1864 Stourbridge, mothers maiden blank ref. 6c 177.

Annette

Comment

tessie31082 did you go back over every cert that you have as I suggested back in November? Make a full list of each of them with all the details on them.

If this chap is illegitmate, he may not even know his exact dob as registered, so I am not sure you can dismiss it if it doesn't match with 1939 register.

Do you have cert as suggested by annette.humphreys ?
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

tessie31082 did you go back over every cert that you have as I suggested back in November? Make a full list of each of them with all the details on them.

If this chap is illegitmate, he may not even know his exact dob as registered, so I am not sure you can dismiss it if it doesn't match with 1939 register.

Do you have cert as suggested by annette.humphreys ?
                          Carolyn,

Yes he has got every cert. and looked back through them. I suggested that to him but he's pretty adamant of finding a birth that matches!!! I have been looking at the one Annette has suggested so I am going to get him to order this cert. on Monday!! There are several children of Harriet that seem to be illegitimate which I thought was unusual at the time but maybe not?!

Thanks Ladies!

Comment

I think he needs to look at addresses etc and then pick up some searches of those people/addresses and get a feel for the families.

No expert on this but I feel if it was going to 'match' exactly then you would have found it by now, it's got to be some out of the box thinking. Or somehow it was never registered.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

I have merged the 2 posts, got a strange error message, but looks to have worked.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

I think he needs to look at addresses etc and then pick up some searches of those people/addresses and get a feel for the families.

No expert on this but I feel if it was going to 'match' exactly then you would have found it by now, it's got to be some out of the box thinking. Or somehow it was never registered.
                                Great idea, i'll get the address' and start looking next week, I'm also going to get him to buy the birth cert. Annette suggested (I found the baptism only yesterday too)!

Tessie

Comment

None of my 2xGreat Grandmothers children who survived until 1939 had the same DoB on the 1939/at death as the DoB on their birth certificate - they weren't even close - and on her death certificate her daughter said she was born Mar 1853 whereas she was actually born Feb 1848....

Maybe nothing but there is a newspaper report in the Pontypridd Chronicle 2 Dec 1892 about a Thomas Jones of Brynbedw Lane, Tylorstown fighting the previous month with a Redmond Coleman, and they admitted having fought previously for £20 a side. Redmond Coleman is in the 1891 (and earlier) census in Merthyr Tydfill, born c1872, and in 1891 there is also a Thomas Jones born c1867, Worcestershire living in Merthyr. Unfortunately he's only a boarder, so no further clues.

Redmond was a boxer, and sounds a very unpleasant character.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                    None of my 2xGreat Grandmothers children who survived until 1939 had the same DoB on the 1939/at death as the DoB on their birth certificate - they weren't even close - and on her death certificate her daughter said she was born Mar 1853 whereas she was actually born Feb 1848....

Maybe nothing but there is a newspaper report in the Pontypridd Chronicle 2 Dec 1892 about a Thomas Jones of Brynbedw Lane, Tylorstown fighting the previous month with a Redmond Coleman, and they admitted having fought previously for £20 a side. Redmond Coleman is in the 1891 (and earlier) census in Merthyr Tydfill, born c1872, and in 1891 there is also a Thomas Jones born c1867, Worcestershire living in Merthyr. Unfortunately he's only a boarder, so no further clues.

Teasie, wow thanks for that! I'll show my boss this later

Comment

Carolyn,

Yes he has got every cert. and looked back through them. I suggested that to him but he's pretty adamant of finding a birth that matches!!! I have been looking at the one Annette has suggested so I am going to get him to order this cert. on Monday!! There are several children of Harriet that seem to be illegitimate which I thought was unusual at the time but maybe not?!

Thanks Ladies!
                                      Once you have this one, make a chart of all the certs. One might be right, you just can't see it. Have you researched each of the certs to dismiss each one. Or just concentrated on date and father?
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post

Have you got a link for the newspaper article - havig trouble searching for it on the BNA site?

Thanks

Comment

It wasnt from the BNA, its in the (free) Welsh Newspapers Online: https://newspapers.library.wales/

Comment

Working...
                                          X