Help trying to find Thomas Jones??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone!

I'm still trying to help my friend on this!

He has brought a load of BC's but none of the DOB's match the 1939 regoster / death cert although we don't know for sure if the day is right or whether he just made it up as he didn't know?!

It seems like a brick wall unless my friend buys some more cert's for the couple of years before and after the initial search years?

Are there any suggestions where to try next or is this name just too hard to research without any further info?

Thanks

Tessie

Comment

for each of the BC are there anything else on them that could make them a possible match, are you just dismissing as birth date does not match?

what about the addresses?

Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        for each of the BC are there anything else on them that could make them a possible match, are you just dismissing as birth date does not match?

what about the addresses?
        Carolyn, my friend's hunch is birthday is correct but year varies quite a bit through census'! He's ruled the BC's out I believe as no match with DOB on 1939/death cert. and father's name not matching what is on marriage cert. although of course if he was illegitimate could of made up Father's name! I will look at BC's and look up addresses - I hadn't thought of that!!
        thanks 😀
        Tessie

Comment

Do you have BC of first born child, just wondering what the address was on that. As the wife is from midlands, I am assuming that they went to wales together but maybe not.

what was the name of Eliza's father on MC, have you traced her on census? they maybe living near each other in 1891
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

When did Thomas die?

I note you say that date of birth was shown on his death certificate, but on an earlier post you thought he may have died 1944.
            Date of birth was not generally shown until many years later.
            Please would you clarify?

Comment

Do you have BC of first born child, just wondering what the address was on that. As the wife is from midlands, I am assuming that they went to wales together but maybe not.

what was the name of Eliza's father on MC, have you traced her on census? they maybe living near each other in 1891
              No he doesn't. Should he get it? Yes he believes they 'ran away' as on census' says they were married but didn't get married until a bit later!
              I think I looked on census in 1891 for where she was living to see if there was a Thomas Jones nearby. I'll have a look for his name and come back to you!
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
                When did Thomas die?

I note you say that date of birth was shown on his death certificate, but on an earlier post you thought he may have died 1944.
                Date of birth was not generally shown until many years later.
                Please would you clarify?
                Gwyn, yes 1944 - dc and 1939 say 10th Mar 1865

Tessie

Comment

Eliza puts her step father down on MC - Isaac Bradley - she is with him, mother and siblings in Lower Gornal, Sedgley in 1891. I will take a look later for a Thomas Jones (I think I did this already but can't remember for sure)!
                  Thanks
                  Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

Gwyn, yes 1944 - dc and 1939 say 10th Mar 1865

Tessie
                    my logic says that it is no surprise that these are the same, he presumably had been celebrating his birthday on that date for his adult life, and he would have been saying how he was to people. But guess it could been wrong. I suppose the worst case scenario is that he started a new life in Wales and some of the facts are made up.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

my logic says that it is no surprise that these are the same, he presumably had been celebrating his birthday on that date for his adult life, and he would have been saying how he was to people. But guess it could been wrong. I suppose the worst case scenario is that he started a new life in Wales and some of the facts are made up.
                      Yes this is our fear and we'll never know one of those walls that can't be broken!

Is it worth getting the BC of the 1st born in case it gives any clues?

Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

Yes this is our fear and we'll never know one of those walls that can't be broken!

Is it worth getting the BC of the 1st born in case it gives any clues?

Tessie
                        I guess the only thing would be the address, but def in Wales, so possibly no help in finding father. Slim chance his occupation is different.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Tessie can't add anything other than guesswork linked to the uncertainty of name Richard as father.

There is an 1864 Thomas Jones registered Stourbridge 2nd quarter no mmn. That Thomas could possibly be the son of Harriet Jones b 1838 Halesowen. In 1871 Harriet is living with other Jones children as Boarders with a Thomas Hadley b 1841. In April 1881 Harriet and Thomas marries. Not sure if he is the father of the children b prior to 1881. Living Hagley Rd, Hasbury.

There are not many Richard Thomas with marriages registered Worcestershire but then he could have married elsewhere. Of the local marriages have tried to link spouse with mothers maiden name of possible births. Managed to tie myself in knots

Vera

Comment

He didn't name any child Richard, but he didn't have a Thomas as a first born and no Eliza either, so they didn't seem to be using family names unusually. Looks like they only managed a Matilda!
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                              Tessie can't add anything other than guesswork linked to the uncertainty of name Richard as father.

There is an 1864 Thomas Jones registered Stourbridge 2nd quarter no mmn. That Thomas could possibly be the son of Harriet Jones b 1838 Halesowen. In 1871 Harriet is living with other Jones children as Boarders with a Thomas Hadley b 1841. In April 1881 Harriet and Thomas marries. Not sure if he is the father of the children b prior to 1881. Living Hagley Rd, Hasbury.

There are not many Richard Thomas with marriages registered Worcestershire but then he could have married elsewhere. Of the local marriages have tried to link spouse with mothers maiden name of possible births. Managed to tie myself in knots

Vera
                              Vera, thanks I looked a this a while ago but can't remember why we ended up dismissing it - I think I'll go back and take a look!

Comment

yes maybe go back over everything, could have missed something. compile as much as you know in date order eg witnesses, addresses, occupations.

Addresses/occupations of all those dismissed.

Happy to search newspapers etc with any info you have.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Just for info

Have tried to get somewhere via marriages of a Richard Jones to a spouse whose surname is same as that of a mm n for a Thomas Jones registered Stourbridge.

Of the marriages/births I see one for Richard Jones to Mary Bird 1862. The other couple Sylvia Smith Bowers and William Young are in Walsall 1871.

There is a registration for a Thomas John Jones 1864 Sep Stourbridge mm n Bird. GRO have it as Thomas Jones Jones.

Have tried to find a Mary with a Richard and Thomas. The ones previously searched pop up ie Richard the Coal Dealer and Richard the Grocer. Not seeing a likely other Richard and Mary yet.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                    Just for info

Have tried to get somewhere via marriages of a Richard Jones to a spouse whose surname is same as that of a mm n for a Thomas Jones registered Stourbridge.

Of the marriages/births I see one for Richard Jones to Mary Bird 1862. The other couple Sylvia Smith Bowers and William Young are in Walsall 1871.

There is a registration for a Thomas John Jones 1864 Sep Stourbridge mm n Bird. GRO have it as Thomas Jones Jones.

Have tried to find a Mary with a Richard and Thomas. The ones previously searched pop up ie Richard the Coal Dealer and Richard the Grocer. Not seeing a likely other Richard and Mary yet.

Vera
                                    Thanks Vera - my boss has that cert. but dob doesn't match the date given on 1939/death cert and he followed that family but it isn't them :(

Comment

Hello,
                                      I have been really lucky with my family as Oxfordshire and Berkshire have some great records available (online/download/CD).

However, I'm still trying to help my boss with his family.

I need to look at baptisms for Halesowen/Hasbury but can't see anything online. Does anyone know of an records online? I've tried looking on FHS sites but can't see anything obvious!

Thanks Tessie

Comment

Seems some records split between ancestry, FMP and familysearch. Don't know if the areas you need are covered. Might be worth emailing the archives to see if they can suggest any options for FHS?

Comment

how far back are you going? worth noting the birth reg district were in Salop before 1844, so not sure where baptisms were

Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X