Help trying to find Thomas Jones??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help trying to find Thomas Jones??

Hi all, trying to help my boss find one of his ancestors!

Thomas Jones born around 1871 in Halesowen (according to 1911/1901 census).

He married Eliza Guest (born 1874 in Dudley according to 1911 census) in 1903 in Pontypridd but already had a few children registered in his name before getting married. The children are reported to of been born in Tylorstown.

He says his father is called Richard Jones (deceased) on the marriage certificate.

My bosses Mum remembers meeting Thomas (her Grandad) so he must of been alive in 1939 as she was born mid 40's but we can not find him anywhere after 1911 or previous to 1901!!

We have tried following on the children to see if he's with one of them in 1939 but because of the names it's been hard. We've ruled out several and some of them come to Oxfordshire (where we are).

Can someone give any pointers of where to go from here or is it a lost cause?

If anyone wants any links etc to have a poke about my boss would be delighted with any help!

Thanks

Tessie

May not be right, wondered if it was Alfred still at the same address 1939? I looked at births as the 1939 gives him as born 1895 and there ia a birth Q3 1895 Pontypool for an Alfred Jones MMN Guest.

So armed with the address, putting Brynbedw Road into the newspaper search, and Thomas is there 1899 ( Pontypool Free Press 23 May winning at the poultry show) which is the earliest I can see so far and Evelyn is mentioned of 26 Brynbedw Road Pontypridd Observer 27 Aug 1921. Can only suggest electoral rolls so far as the family are there 1921 if it is the right Evelyn, her age is right so hoping this helps with the search.

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
      May not be right, wondered if it was Alfred still at the same address 1939? I looked at births as the 1939 gives him as born 1895 and there ia a birth Q3 1895 Pontypool for an Alfred Jones MMN Guest.

So armed with the address, putting Brynbedw Road into the newspaper search, and Thomas is there 1899 ( Pontypool Free Press 23 May winning at the poultry show) which is the earliest I can see so far and Evelyn is mentioned of 26 Brynbedw Road Pontypridd Observer 27 Aug 1921. Can only suggest electoral rolls so far as the family are there 1921 if it is the right Evelyn, her age is right so hoping this helps with the search.

Hi Elaine, my boss always has said it is Brynbedw Terrace (we've been looking at that not Road)! Are these papers on Ancestry/FMP or one of the newspaper sites? Thanks, I'll try and follow the electoral rolls!

Comment

Have only looked on FMP so far, so you might find more in the Welsh newpapers

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post

EDIT - found it now

I've found Evelyn's one but can't seem to find the poultry show one (I'm using British Newspaper Archives website)?

Comment

Have attached,
            Attached Files
            Elaine

Comment

what was the fathers occupation? I am wondering if he was welsh miner and they went back to Wales after Thomas was born?

Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                what was the fathers occupation? I am wondering if he was welsh miner and they went back to Wales after Thomas was born?
                Carolyn - he is just down as labourer as opposed to collier. It has always been presumed that Thomas and Eliza 'ran away' with their children to Tylorstown unmarried then got married and had a couple more children as Eliza is from Dudley?!

Comment

Even more annoying is that on the marriage certficate in 1903 Thomas says he is 31 making him born in 1872 yet the 1911 census he gives his age as 42 making him born 1869 and Eliza on the marriage certifcate saya she is 38 making her born in 1865 yet the 1911 censussays she is 37 making her born 1869!

We can't seem to trace Evelyn or May after 1911 to see if Thomas is with them on the 1939!

Tessie

Comment

Sorry for all the posts but I believe I've found him on the 1939 but Ancestry/FMP isn't yet linking him to any other records but fingers crossed something comes up so we can find his death and him previous to 1911 so we can get his birth / parents!

Comment

Where is he in 1939?
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Where is he in 1939?
                        Carolyn,

On the 1939 register and 1939 electoral register he is with his married daughter Evelyn and her husband Bryn (Jones married a Jones!) in Gloucester - 8 Kendal Road.

My boss says his Mum remembers he went to live with her Mum (before she was born) in Oxford and we believe we have found his death in Oxford in 1944.

Really frustrating that we can't find him before 1901 but with a name like this I think it will be too hard.

Also interesting is the register office marriage cert. is filled in completely in the same handwriting and there are no X's for signatures but is definitly not their signatures and there are also some notes and she has had spinster crossed out and replaced with widow even though the children's birth's have her MN as it should (no formerly like she was married before). On the marriage cert. it also has her aged 38 when in fact she would have been 27!?

There is something odd going on somewhere lol!

Tessie

Comment

He seems quite certain that he was born in Halesowen - on both census, which is Stourbridge district. and if dob correct on 1939 you could maybe pinpoint his birth

GRO says:

JONES, THOMAS BRIGHTON
                          GRO Reference: 1865 M Quarter in STOURBRIDGE Volume 06C Page 224
                          JONES, THOMAS DAVIS
                          GRO Reference: 1865 M Quarter in STOURBRIDGE Volume 06C Page 241
                          JONES, THOMAS PITT
                          GRO Reference: 1865 M Quarter in STOURBRIDGE Volume 06C Page 253

lots of ifs there....

Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Yes, I found these. The problem I have is my boss seems confident of him being more reliable on his age on his census returns / marriage certificate than whoever gave the details from the 1939 / death reg! I think he will need to buy these and any he finds for 1869-1871 (which is what my boss is thinking) and see if any come back with fathers name Richard! I might search the GRO for any other children with these surname combinations and follow those!
                            Thanks Carolyn

Comment

might get lucky with marriages.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

There is a Richard Jones and Elizabeth Pitt marriage in Sedgley 1849, maybe too early
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks Carolyn, this is proving very tricky indeed!

Comment

Hi all, revisting this one with some more information.

On Thomas' death certificate it gives his DOB as 10th Mar 1865.

My boss has ordered all birth certs. for 1864-1865 plus a couple for 1868 and 1871 (in case he was lying about his age) for the first two quarters for Stourbridge with his name but none match the actual date his daughter says he was born on (10th Mar) on his death cert.

There is one he hasn't ordered yet for 1864 (that I can see) so will check he hasn't got it. Is it worth him trying for records a few years before in case he actually didn't know when he was born?

I suppose he may have been born in Halesowen but registered elsewhere too!

Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

Hi Elaine, my boss always has said it is Brynbedw Terrace (we've been looking at that not Road)! Are these papers on Ancestry/FMP or one of the newspaper sites? Thanks, I'll try and follow the electoral rolls!
                                      I can't help with any better suggestions, but did notice in 1901 they are in 25 Brynbedw Road and in 1911 26 Brynbedw Terrace. doesn't help I know. Will have another look in the papers later. Do you have any notion of a sibling for Thomas? godparents or witnesses etc etc in any of the records?
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

I can't help with any better suggestions, but did notice in 1901 they are in 25 Brynbedw Road and in 1911 26 Brynbedw Terrace. doesn't help I know. Will have another look in the papers later. Do you have any notion of a sibling for Thomas? godparents or witnesses etc etc in any of the records?
                                        Caroline, no nothing! Just going on the fact his father was called Richard (that's what it says on the marriage cert.) but we know they lie or really don't know when they were born so this may not be true and we have no idea why they moved / ran away to Wales and got married after some of the children were born rather than before! He is quite a mystery! I did come across a Thomas Jones' Chelsea Pensioners record but it's on Fold3 so can't see any details (not sure what info. these records hold or if would help or not)!

Thanks

Tessie

Comment

Working...
                                        X