Still struggling with Kean’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still struggling with Kean’s

Thomas Kean, born Manchester in 1878, parents John Kean and Kate Kean.

On the 1881Census, Piece 3958,Folio93, Page 45.
    John and Kate Kean have 3 children, Elizabeth 5, Thomas 3 and John 1

Thomas Kean seems to have Married twice. He’s a Widower on the 1911 Census. He seems to have had 3 daughters, but I’m not sure if they’re all from his second marriage or not.

Any help welcomed!

Holly.

are these another lot from this thread? https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...anchester-1860

or a sibling?
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I’m unsure how they fit in Carolyn...

However, I have a new DNA match who seems to match to me at 2nd/3rd Cousin level, whose mother’s Grandfather was this Thomas Kean (1878 - 1944).

She also matches to my daughter, sister and paternal 1st Cousins...

And so I’m trying to untangle these Kean’s!

Comment

Not sure what you have found, but am already confused by a tree on ancestry! They have a Thomas in 1911 with a John and Kate and he is a widowed no children

then I have one in 1939 with a wife Kate and 3 children, which I assume are these on GRO, so guessing these are different family
        KEAN, WINIFRED DAVIES DAVIES
        GRO Reference: 1909 J Quarter in SALFORD Volume 08D Page 77
        KEAN, MURIEL DAVIES DAVIES
        GRO Reference: 1913 M Quarter in SALFORD Volume 08D Page 89
        KEAN, KATHLEEN DAVIES DAVIES
        GRO Reference: 1915 J Quarter in SALFORD Volume 08D Page 167

Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I wondered if they all had their mother’s maiden name (Davies) as part of their names because the parents weren’t married?

Comment

Working back from 1939 record....

A Winifred is with Thomas widowed, Thomas' mother (Elizabeth Kean) and Thomas' siblings

another Winifred looking much more likely with mother Kate Kean (married) and she is sister in law to Patrick Rourke and Annie

Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

found a marriage of Annie Davies and Patrick Rourke, so looking likely that they are Davies girls.

Can't find a marriage for Thomas and Kate - one in 1914, so maybe you are right.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

I’ve finally managed to speak to my DNA match who sparked me off on this search, - and it turns out that I had been following the wrong mother!

I should have been looking at Veronica Kean, born 1924, whose parents were John Lawrence Kean, 1900 - 1956 and Elizabeth A. Mahon.

John Lawrence Kean’s parents were John Kean, 1865 - 1940 and Sarah Hannah Kay. And that John Kean’s brother was Richard Kean, born 1860. Which brings me full circle back to the Kean family that I was previously looking at!

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
                  I’ve finally managed to speak to my DNA match who sparked me off on this search, - and it turns out that I had been following the wrong mother!

I should have been looking at Veronica Kean, born 1924, whose parents were John Lawrence Kean, 1900 - 1956 and Elizabeth A. Mahon.

John Lawrence Kean’s parents were John Kean, 1865 - 1940 and Sarah Hannah Kay. And that John Kean’s brother was Richard Kean, born 1860. Which brings me full circle back to the Kean family that I was previously looking at!

Holly.
                  so it is looking like your assumptions that Richard Kean is your Grandfather with a name change? or are you saying this doesn't fit?
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

I really don’t know what to think Carolyn!

He certainly fits the bill in-terms of timeframe and occupation, but I couldn’t prove anything definitively...

Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
                      I really don’t know what to think Carolyn!

He certainly fits the bill in-terms of timeframe and occupation, but I couldn’t prove anything definitively...

Holly.
                      I guess you may never know - unless he wrote it down somewhere - you just amass DNA results from that tree to yours
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Sometimes the wives of the line in question can help with some sorting. If you are debating if your branch was descended from a particular pair, can you find matches to the other marriage partner's lineage (in your case, the wife)? Does a known descendant have a match on that maternal side, you match the descendant, but not the maternal kit - hmm, makes you wonder.

Having a tree to look at can help visualize and recommend...

Comment

I’ve been writing it all out by hand on a very large piece of card, PhotoFamily!
                          I find it hard to follow Trees online sometimes, - and this makes it more real somehow...
                          Holly.

Comment

2 Kean brothers married 2 Kay sisters.
                            But that doesn't explain my Butler DNA matches...

OK, I’m totally stuck:-(

Holly

Comment

Working...
                            X