Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugh McCoy search

Hello
    I am new to this site and have got very stuck searching for my 3x Great Grandfather Hugh McCoy. I know from my GG Grandfather (William Edward McCoy) marriage certificates (he was married twice after his first wife died young) that he was called Hugh McCoy and was a Gunner in the Navy.
    I have found that Hugh McCoy married Sarah Yelden/Yalden in October 1811 in Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire by licence. I also know that Hugh McCoy's father was also Hugh McCoy - no surprises there!
    The family moved from Hampshire to London when I have found them on the 1841 census, when his wife is now widowed living with the children.

I cannot find where Hugh was born or get any further. Should I be looking for clues in Naval Records? I have going round in circles and wondered if anyone can help or even better, have any connections to this side of my family?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sarah

maybe his burial
    Hugh
    McCoy
    Apr
    Alverstoke Haslar Hospital
    Hampshire
    England

Comment

Suppose you have seen this ,notice the spelling for his wife
      Hugh
      McCoy
      Anglican
      Spinster
      H M S Porypine
      15 Oct 1811
      Gosport, Holy Trinity
      Holy Trinity
      Licence
      Sarah
      Galden
      Spinster
      Gosport
      Mary Ann Cox
      Ricd Welch
      Hampshire
      England
      Marriages
      1792-1812
      CHU 23/1D/1
      Portsmouth History Centre
      Hampshire, Portsmouth Marriages

Comment

The image says H.M.S. Porcupine pm me your email address and I'll send it on.

Comment

Findagrave has this for his burial. Might be worth a try contacting the Royal Fleet Auxiliary Historical Society to see if they know where he originated or tell you where to look next.

Hugh McCoy
          Birth: unknown
          Death: 1833
          Burial: Clayhall Naval Cemetery
          Gosport, Gosport Borough, Hampshire, England
          Plot: R
          Source: 177475600 · View Source

Gravesite Details information provided by Royal Fleet Auxiliary Historical Society

Comment

This could help

The National Archives | Search the archives | Hospital Records| Details

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              maybe his burial
              Hugh
              McCoy
              Apr
              Alverstoke Haslar Hospital
              Hampshire
              England
              I am doubtful that this is Sarah's Hugh McCoy as that would have made him only 14 when he married. There is also a Hugh McCoy who was buried on 4 Feb 1839 in Brockenhurst, Hampshire at age 72. This would give a dob of ca 1767. I am wondering if the younger Hugh McCoy is from an earlier marriage. However I have been through my CDs for Hampshire and cannot find any births or any other marriages for a Hugh McCoy.
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by sarahp View Post
                I have found that Hugh McCoy married Sarah Yelden/Yalden in October 1811 in Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire by licence. I also know that Hugh McCoy's father was also Hugh McCoy - no surprises there!
                Have you found the licence/allegation? I looked here

no joy, but a second set of eyes never hurt.

One possible reason that they may have married by licence - one or both of them were not of the parish. That would be consistent with his Naval career.

Haven't looked for it, but could you give the link to the 1841 census record?

I also found this interesting - but it's really about her. FS has transcribed the marriage of Hugh McCoy to Sarah Yalder and Sarah Golden on the same day and the same place - was she a widow? Do you already have all the info you need about her? Did you buy the marriage cert, or obtain a copy of the parish record?

Comment

mccoy.png

Hugh is a singleman, and Sarah a spinster. I can see that it would have been quite easy to mistranscribe her name as Golden.
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

there is this, but doesn't give any info really

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

not sure even your man
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

there are navy payment records on FMP - for Hugh Mccoy, he is age 44 in 1827, also many Muster rolls, but I cant see anything that helps pin point his family etc.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                        mccoy.png

Hugh is a singleman, and Sarah a spinster. I can see that it would have been quite easy to mistranscribe her name as Golden.
                        Oh, yes, that's quite a mess of ink - but Hugh is not of the parish. The licence probably would tell you which parish he resides - Or would it, since he's in the Navy?

Comment

Working...
                        X