No announcement yet.

Anybody with a sub to The Times please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody with a sub to The Times please?

I have been doing nothing this morning but footering about looking on the net for anything that comes to mind that I had said to myself at some point, “I must look that up.”
    I came in mind of the place where Granny died and can’t find a picture of the big house or any of the cottages nearby. I did find this article which has me intrigued. I can only read the first paragraph without subscribing. Can anybody get the whole article?
    Many thanks.
    PS Granny died in one of the cottages rather than the big house, we are not from well off stock LOL. Another link led me to the fact that Quarrelwood House was last sold for just shy of £500,000 in 2009. Oooff!

The blood curdling history of Quarrelwood House
    The quiet location of Quarrelwood House in a bowl of Dumfries belies its violent history

Tim Dawson
    Sunday May 04 2008, 1.00am, The Sunday Times
    He was known as "the son of thunder". He defied kings, denounced bishops and ultimately went to his death for his belief in man's individual contract with God. The Covenanter Richard Cameron was considered so dangerous a religious extremist that when he was killed in 1680, his head and hands were severed from his dead body and exhibited in Edinburgh's Royal Mile.

So it's perhaps curious that his followers - a battle-hardened bunch who would walk for days to attend week-long preaching sessions - should have erected a chapel in such a vale of tranquillity.

I have PMd you - or am about to!!
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Ooh thank you Caroline. Now that the weather is getting better and Covid restrictions will be easing on Monday next week I will make a trip up there to get some photos as long as the owner doesn’t mind. It took me till 2017 to visit the place of my mother’s birth which going by old photos I found later on the net was not much more than a hovel but it turned out to be a listed hovel It still looks a rundown now despite being privately owned and “modernised”.
      Will keep my eye out for the email.

Comment

That’s it arrived. Many thanks
        Never occurred to me how The Cameronians got their name. There was a Cameronian meeting house here in Dalbeattie too.

Comment

UPDATE
          I have found some photos on Canmore of both the bigger house and the cottages including the octagonal bit that was once the Cameronian chapel. Happy Bunny.

Comment

Working...
          X