Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father name search

Hi all,

I know that there is a MMN search for births. What do we do when we know the father but not the mother? ;)

I am researching someone born in 1912. It’s well-known in the family that he was born as a result of an affair the father had and as the lady was unable to keep the child, the father brought the child up with his own wife and family. Nobody knows the details of the real mother. Could it be that a child did not have to be registered back then or could the child be registered just in her name? I have the date of birth and death for this person but no birth record.

The birth would be registered by her in her name, so on GRO it will have a blank for the MMN
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      The birth would be registered by her in her name, so on GRO it will have a blank for the MMN
      Hi Carolyn,

Hope you’re well ?

So, in a search I would just put year of birth and first name? That’s giving me so many results because it doesn’t let you put the full date of birth. Maybe I’ll try again on Ancestry with blanks but full date of birth. Thanks again ?

Comment

it would be the mothers surname.

some sites search differently to others, you can try adding her name as MMN and you might get a result. Seem to remember there was a thread a while back about it.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I would check freebmd for the first name(s) and the quarter of birth, as i believe they allow a search without surname. Then check the GRO for the full names (indexes only give initials but GRO has now added full names) But unless you have an idea who the mother is or an unusual name, might be difficult finding the right registration.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            I would check freebmd for the first name(s) and the quarter of birth, as i believe they allow a search without surname. Then check the GRO for the full names (indexes only give initials but GRO has now added full names) But unless you have an idea who the mother is or an unusual name, might be difficult finding the right registration.
            Hi Kylejustin,

Oh, thank you for that. Will try freebmd. I know she was Jewish so that could help a little. I’ll come back with anything I find.

Thanks again

Comment

it would be the mothers surname.

some sites search differently to others, you can try adding her name as MMN and you might get a result. Seem to remember there was a thread a while back about it.
              Hi Carolyn,

Thanks but I have no idea of her surname, all I know is that she might have been Jewish. I’ll try what Kylejustin says and let you know if anything comes up ?

Comment

Sorry you said that first! Doh, if he attended the registration, I am not sure if he can be registered in his name, if they are not married. Someone should be able to advise.

I assume you have tried that?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

As Kyle says, on FreeBMD you can search with just a forename. Do you know that name? But also watch out for births registered just 'male' or 'female', it doesn't always mean the child died soon after. Do you know where the birth might have been registered? If it is a big city it will be much more difficult. Are you sure of the birth date? Don't forget to check the following Quarter as well.

Having said all that, if you know name, quarter of 1912 and registration district it could be surprisingly easy to spot the births where the MMN is the same as the registration name. Then try eliminating them!

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    As Kyle says, on FreeBMD you can search with just a forename. Do you know that name? But also watch out for births registered just 'male' or 'female', it doesn't always mean the child died soon after. Do you know where the birth might have been registered? If it is a big city it will be much more difficult. Are you sure of the birth date? Don't forget to check the following Quarter as well.

Having said all that, if you know name, quarter of 1912 and registration district it could be surprisingly easy to spot the births where the MMN is the same as the registration name. Then try eliminating them!

Anne
                    Hi Anne,

Thanks for your reply. I actually found it on the FreeBMD as Kyle had suggested. Absolute godsend of a site in that you can search just by first name and date.

There was a slight snag though. It was registered under the father’s middle name rather than his surname . I found out after that a lot of people would use his middle name as surname though.

Thanks again, everyone ?

Comment

Sorry you said that first! Doh, if he attended the registration, I am not sure if he can be registered in his name, if they are not married. Someone should be able to advise.

I assume you have tried that?
                      Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for replying. I found the birth on FreeBMD as Kyle had suggested. Had a bit of a problem with the surname though (see my reply to Anne)

Thanks again, everyone ?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        Hi KyleJustin,

Just thought I’d let you know that I found the entry using FreeBMD as you suggested. Thanks so much for that. Such a useful site when you only have a date and first name.

Thanks again ??

Comment

Glad you found it!

Comment

Working...
                          X