X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by julip View Post
    Yes it looks like war gratuity , I think they get that when they are demobbed .
    Ep
    did google after, thought it was a regular payment, but can see a one off according to length of service.

Leave a comment:

• julip
    replied
    Yes it looks like war gratuity , I think they get that when they are demobbed .
    Ep

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    The dob is 13th on the document not the 5th, not that it will make a big difference.

lots of James O’Brien going abroad, but not spotted anything that is obviously him.

I can’t make out the very end of the document, is it saying he had a payment?
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-04-21, 19:57.

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Originally posted by julip View Post
    Yes it is the same man . On his card I have posted on Ancestry he was originally in the Army . But he was rejected by the army for `defective teeth `!

EP
    Yes, I saw that too. How odd.

Leave a comment:

• julip
    replied
    Yes it is the same man . On his card I have posted on Ancestry he was originally in the Army . But he was rejected by the army for `defective teeth `!

EP

Leave a comment:

• julip
    replied
    Thanks Galloway Lass. I checked on Scotlands people for all James Obrien`s with all relevant birth dates . Found a couple of possibles but parents are wrong . Waiting on Register House to open again .You can search all day for a nominal sum , more productive . The family must have informed the war memorial committee, I believe it went up in 1921. Unfortunately a John O`brien is next to the James O`brien ,and I have identified him as buried in Berlin, with the right parents . Still not convinced James is mine. Maybe the 1921 census might throw something up .

Thanks
    EP

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    This is the same man. Written in red in the first page of attestation is that he joined the Royal Navy 9.12.1903 ! Image on FMP. Single, father Mr. P. O‘Brien 155 High Street, Dunbar.
    James
    O'Brien
    Dunbar
    Dunbar
    Haddingtonshire (East Lothian)
    Scotland
    South East Scotland Artillery
    31 Mar 1903
    Royal Garrison Artillery
    Royal Garrison Artillery
    Attestation
    WO 96
    Wo 96 - Militia Service Records 1806-1915
    The National Archives
    Scotland
    British Army Service Records
    Military, armed forces & conflict
    Regimental & Service Records
    Great Britain, Scotland

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    I can’t see anything that fits with the person on the war memorial and your man being one and the same.

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Not seeing any likely deaths in England post 1919 nor anything on 1939 Register.
    Also no deaths post 1919 on ScotlandsPeople in East Lothian for him with birth year 1884 +/-2 years
    There are two possibles in Edinburgh. SP is gradually adding mms to the online index but the 1960’s are not done yet.
    O'BRIEN JAMES 79 1963 685/3 543 Canongate and Portobello
    O'BRIEN JAMES 79 1964 685/5 519 George Square

Leave a comment:

• julip
    started a topic James O`brien

James O`brien

Searching for death of James Obrien, b 5th Dec 1884,Dunbar ,East Lothian ,Scotland . He joined Royal Navy in 1903, (cert)
    service no. 305551. Chequered career for a few years on various ships, including ``PEMBROKE `` which I think was land based jail . See porteousi tree on Ancestry. Last cert is a demob ?,1919 ,Chatham ,Kent . He is on Dunbar war memorial ,but not sure it is him,as I can`t find a death cert. Wondered if he had emigrated . Parents Patrick Obrien and Bridget Gilhooly.

EP
Working...
X