Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teasie
    replied
    I haven't checked on Ancestry as its currently playing up for me, but its easily found on FmP under service number 150803.

Leave a comment:

• Lensgirl
    replied
    OMG thank you so much! Am I able to get hold of the service record you mentioned? It's so great he is still in Jersey in 1911, he must have known about my great grandmother! I need to look at addresses and find out just how far away they were at that point

Leave a comment:

• teasie
    replied
    Found him in 1911 at Le Douet, Jersey - he's transcribed on FmP as aged 53, but the image says 23 - RG14 Piece 34852 Schedule 19

William Ward 23 Boarder Single Quarry Labourer Granite Quarry, b Fulham London SW

Leave a comment:

• teasie
    replied
    The record under 3593 is a militia attestation. He then enlisted into the regular army on 14 Oct 1904, and will have been given a new number.

There is a partial record for a soldier named William Ward from Fulham who initially served with the East Surry Regiment under No. 8405 (discharged time served Oct 1907) and was subsequently in the Labour Corps under No. 150803. Re-joined for duty August 1914. On one page of the file it says last enlisted 14 Oct 1904 so it looks like its almost certainly your man. He originally signed up (Oct 1904) for 3 years with the Colours & 9 years in the Reserve, so will have been re-called to service at the outbreak of war.

The address for him looks like 20 Liatain Grove, Lilley Road, Fulham SW, and last employer before re-joining in 1914 was F Manuel, Guernsey, Channel Islands, trade or calling was Quarryman.

The file goes onto several pages so I'm only skimming it, but there is mention of a wife named Mary Rose at Moeg? Road, St Sampson, Guernsey

The record also mentions Service No's L10993 & 82148 (29 Middx Regiment), ending up with the 5 Labour Battalion (150803), and there are also references to his service in Jersey in 1906.

Leave a comment:

• Lensgirl
    replied
    Apologies for the delay! his number is 3593. He was attested on 5th April 1904 and it says "adjutant 4th btn East Surrey". It then says " To E Surrey" 14.10.04. He was born in Fulham, DOB 15 Sept 1886

Leave a comment:

• annswabey
    replied
    There aren't any Diaries for that period, or Payroll records (I assume you mean Muster Rolls?!). Does his record give date of discharge, when did he enlist, what was his Regimental number and where was he born?

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Going by an article on wikipedia, it was only the 1st Battalion who were in Jersey 1905-09 so that at least narrows down your search for him.

This is a tiny bit more specific but still only in terms of years rather than actual dates.

Leave a comment:

• PhotoFamily
    replied
    GallowayLass' method would be much simpler than trying to trace payroll records, but that would be another way.

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Try the TNA catalogue for regimental diaries or you could try the regiment’s museum, I think most of them have one of some sort or another.

Leave a comment:

• Lensgirl
    started a topic Regimental information

Regimental information

Hi

I am trying to establish whether a man is likely to be my nans grandfather. Based on the fact my nan has DNA matches to both this mans mum and dad, tells me it is however I am just having little niggle doubts!

Ruth Blampied was born in August 1910 in Jersey, and the matches that my nan has are all from Fulham so makes it "easier" to try and establish a link. The man I believe to be Ruth's father is Joseph William Ward (AKA William Joseph) born in 1886, and in addition to the DNA matches, Joseph was enlisted into the East Surrey Regiment which was in Jersey from 1905 until 1909. However the service record I have been able to find is very sparse and just says Attested on 05-05-04 and then "To E Surrey" 14-10-04

I have no idea at what time he moved to/from Jersey but given Ruth's birth date it would have to be very late 1909 for him to be the father (there are no other children options due to ages that could be the father). Also, i cant find him in 1911 so no idea if he is still in the army, but he is definitely alive in 1939 as his DOB matches.

Is there any way if i can find out for definite where he was at the end of 1909?

Thanks
Working...
X