Another pair of Eyes, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another pair of Eyes, please

Having been finally galvanised into action to resume FH (by Covid boredom causing me to get DNA tested), I am now trying to go back to get my paperwork in order.

My main blockage was that John WASS - (b1806), child of John Wass (b abt 1762) and Hannah Atkinson and married to a Rebecca Seaton, with both them and their children coming to Australia in 1856, - inconsiderately died aged 4 months old when I perused the actual parish registers of Barholm, Lincolnshire.

So that put a damper on the entire line.

However, I now have a DNA match to that John's sister - so reasonably obviously there must have been a second John born about 1810 onwards who must be my actual GG Grandfather. But I can't find him.

He married Rebecca Seaton in Stamford, Lincolnshire around 1839 / 1840

They had 4 children: John Edward, Mary, David and Jane who are all on the Immigration records of the ship Lloyds that arrived in Australia in 1856. Have all the family information from that date onward.

it is just the English records as I am very much a novice when perusing English records - I do have an Ancestry sub.

Thanks for any help.

Free Reg has the following baptisms for the daughters of John and Hannah, but no other son than John (1806).
    Mary (10 April 1807), Jane (1809), Susannah ( 1811). John was buried 2 July 1821, age 60.
    All events Barholm

Comment

have done a quick search in the newspapers, but nothing turned up straightaway, what was his occupation?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Good Morning and Thank You, Brentor boy and Carolyn,

Carolyn, on the Immigration records John (45) was noted as an Ag Lab as was his eldest son John Edward. (15)

If he WAS 45 then that would put his birth around 1811 but his sister Susannah was also born in 1811

I am trying to follow up his wife Rebecca Seaton as the immigration records show that the family was sponsored by her brother Edward Seaton, who I have found arriving with his family in 1853 on the "Harriett"

However, that Edward shows his parents as Edward and Mary - both dead while the entry for his sister (with John) seems to show her parents as James and Mary both dead - but it is very faint writing.

My thought was that maybe they moved temporarily to be with her parents and had another child while there? Clutching at straws here.

Comment

Brentor boy - there should also have been a William Wass born in 1804 to John and Hannah at Barholm

Comment

Originally posted by Yvonne from Oz View Post
            Brentor boy - there should also have been a William Wass born in 1804 to John and Hannah at Barholm
            Agreed.
            William Wass. Baptised 29 January 1804.
            Cannot explain how I missed it earlier.

Comment

Hi Vonny,

do you have Johns marriage cert to Rebecca? does it mention who the witness' are? I see that in both 1841/1851 census John gives his DOB as 1810/1811

there is also this:

Name: John Wass
              Baptism Date: 27 Sep 1812
              Baptism Place: Swayfield, Lincoln, England
              Father:
              William Wass
              Mother:
              Ann
              FHL Film Number: 1450486
              Reference ID: item 2

Swayfield and Barholm are not very far away either.

1841: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=8860
              Source Citation Class: HO107; Piece: 615; Book: 1; Civil Parish: Barholm; County: Lincolnshire; Enumeration District: 2; Page: 10; Line: 19; GSU roll: 438756

1851: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=9780426
              Source Citation Class: HO107; Piece: 2094; Folio: 587; Page: 10; GSU roll: 87722
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I notice that there is a burial record and spelling is Wafs - reminded me they used an f instead of s, so did another look in newspapers just in case there was something, but nothing!

census are a good find
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Yeah I know all about the mispronunciation of Wass even seen it as Waths/Woffs/Woss!

I did think that maybe John altered his YOB to match nearer Rebeccas? Though the marriage cert would be a good place to start. Just checking John Edwards birth [1840] atm to see what that throws up. [MMN SEATON]

Julie

Comment

It mentions his brother Daniel?? as already living in Aus when he goes

Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

The transcription for the marriage under England marriages

Rebecca...father Edward Seaton
                      John ...father John Wass

Stamford 1839

no other details
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

From a Lincs list I have, they married at St Michael, Stamford, 13 Nov 1839.

Just checking parish record, FMP for that marriage parish book starts at 1897!
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                          The transcription for the marriage under England marriages

Rebecca...father Edward Seaton
                          John ...father John Wass

Stamford 1839

no other details
                          Oh that's odd Elaine, on the thing that Carolyn just posted it said that Rebeccas parents were JAMES & MARY image below:

vonny rebecca wass.JPG

I did wonder if Lincstothepast.com might have the marriage? just having a look to see if I can see anything....
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 04-05-21, 08:30.
                          Julie

Comment

Well, I found the relevant year and church but because 'Flash player' has now been retired no images are showing because LTTP are still using retired players for their images...

Last edited by Darksecretz; 04-05-21, 09:18.
                            Julie

Comment

Me too, looked last night but not been to the site in ages so didn't realise
                              Elaine

Comment

The naming of John & Rebecca's first two children does point very strongly to John being a son of John & Hannah
                                John's parents: John & Hannah
                                Rebecca's Parents: Edward & Mary (baptised Doddington, Cambs 23 Aug 1812)

First Son: John Edward
                                First Daughter: Mary Hannah

As an aside, I think John may have had at least one other sister not previously mentioned - Elizabeth - baptised 15 Mar 1801 and married at Barholm in October 1827 to Robert Turnill. The witnesses were Jane, Mary & William Wass.

Robert, Elizabeth and their rather large family can be found in the census at Sawtry, Huntingdon, with Elizabeth's PoB given as Barnholm c1801.

Comment

Anyone found out who brother Daniel is? Is he her brother?

I have Susannah marrying Henry Crofts and then dies young.
                                  Mary marrying John Charity (maybe)
                                  Jane marrying Charles Sharpe

There is also a William Wass on baptism records on Ancestry 29 Jun 1804
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

William marries Elizabeth and is on 1841 and 1851 census, and there is a death in 1851.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                      Anyone found out who brother Daniel is? Is he her brother?
                                      The record says Daniel is in Bathurst, and a Daniel & Mary Seaton were having children in Bathurst, including a Mary in 1856 and Edward in 1859, so that could be him.

Comment

Daniel Seton (sic) & Mary Crouch married in Huntingdon in 1841 & emigrated in 1853 as Seaton - his parents Edward & Mary, both dead, her parents William & Elizabeth, also both dead. Daniel's religion is noted as Baptist, which could be why I can't easily find a baptism for him.

Comment

Working...
                                        X