Surname change!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surname change!

Hi all, finally started on my birth father's tree and I've already come across some slightly facts lol!

However, the one I'm most interested in at the moment is my 2 x Great Grandad who changes his and his family's surname somewhere between 1881 and 1901 (I'm unable to see them at the moment on the 1891)! Would I be able to find out why (and where would I find it) or is it a case of searching records for newpaper clippings that may explain it?

Tessie

Short answer ..... probably not! I have two families that change their surname, although oddly they still hang on to it in some ways as well! No idea why.

I only managed to find them on censuses after the name change by searching on first names and birth places. Good luck if that is London!!

Anne

Comment

Hmm, yes my 2 x Grandad uses his original surname as a middle name (and for his kids) from 1901 - the earliest I've found them using this 'new name' - (I'm interested why I can't find them on the 1891 using either surname so I'll try your trick)! So annoying but interesting to know why!
      Thanks Anne

Comment

There's no one place where you can look, some people changed their name and announced the fact in the press while others just adopted the new name and used.

I researched a family where the father was hanged for murder and his widow and children assumed another name, my husband's ancestors varied between two surnames as his 4x great grandfather was born just outside wedlock and three of my Badcocks changed their names, all tracked down by using forename and birthplace on the census.

Comment

Name changes are a right pain! Unless there was a legally recorded change, hunting someone down can be like the proverbial needle in a haystack.
          As long as there is no intent to defraud, you can call yourself whatever you like.
          Jill’s suggestion of forename and birthplace on censuses is an excellent tip.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
            Name changes are a right pain! Unless there was a legally recorded change, hunting someone down can be like the proverbial needle in a haystack.
            As long as there is no intent to defraud, you can call yourself whatever you like.
            Jill’s suggestion of forename and birthplace on censuses is an excellent tip.
            I've just realised Anne in Carlisle said the same before I did so should take the credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post

I've just realised Anne in Carlisle said the same before I did so should take the credit.
              Ditto I didn’t cotton on to that either till you pointed it out.

Comment

These days you change name by deed poll. Historically, if you were lucky, a name change might be announced in newspapers.

but generally, the only time reasons for name changes are known, is because of family memory. Could be a simple spelling variation, changed because it was foreign during a war or difficult to pronounce, could be a step father's name, changed for debt/tax/legal issues-like a murderer in the family or a bankrupt. Also changed due to inheritance- some inheritances must take the surname to inherit.

my family was morton, there was a family story of bankruptcy in london 1890's, then family moves to leeds. 1901 census records them in leeds as marshall, post this, back to morton.

have a few permanently taking the step father's name, some switch back and forth! Some play with surnames because they are already married to someone else...my ancestor was a mcauliffe but all births record her as mack, until she was able to marry the father.

be careful with ruling out children based off mother's maiden name in indexes too, i had an ancestor who was pratt, first husband harker. Second husband coates. The coates children alternate with MMN between harker and pratt.

Comment

I think you might still be able to merely change your name, without need for deed poll, as long as you do not intend to use it for nefarious purposes.

I still see name change items in the newspaper here.
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I was able to find a (distant) side line that had a name change - I was checking out the will of my ancestor's father-in-law, and he named his son (new name) and son's location. Everything else unfolded very easily from there.

Comment

Working...
                    X