Narrowing down of the same name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrowing down of the same name

I am trying to narrow down about 30 different instances of the same name on marriage records. I had no idea this could be so difficult as this person has two first names. There are marriages for this person all different years all different parts of the country around the same time frame!

All I have is the full name and year of birth. I really don’t want to be ordering 30 or so marriage certs. Anyone know if there’s a way to search marriage records using year of birth as a filter?

Where full certificates are online then you might be able to filter by adding the YoB, but if there's only an index then no, you cant.

Presumably you haven't just plucked a name & YoB out of thin air, so I'm not sure how this is the only information you have?

Perhaps if you explain the problem more fully we might be able to help a bit more.... I can't guarantee it though!

Comment

What time frame are you looking? Sounds like a 20th century marriage?

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
        Where full certificates are online then you might be able to filter by adding the YoB, but if there's only an index then no, you cant.

Presumably you haven't just plucked a name & YoB out of thin air, so I'm not sure how this is the only information you have?

Perhaps if you explain the problem more fully we might be able to help a bit more.... I can't guarantee it though!
        Hi Teasie,

I’ve done a MMN search for children born to an aunt and her husband. They were married 1966. Two daughters come up, one in 1970 and one in 1972, which would seem to be okay. Both daughters have two first names, so I thought that would be easy. Not so! There are so many instances of those names in marriages from 1990 -/+ 10 years. Now, I’ve just come to a dead end, or multiple ends :(

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          What time frame are you looking? Sounds like a 20th century marriage?
          Hi Kylejustin.

Am looking for any marriage of these two daughters between around the 1988-2000 time frame. I know it’s a hopeless exercise really but just wondered if anybody had ever narrowed it down by year or even place of birth

Comment

Some good news on this! Thought I’d post in case anybody else finds themselves in the same position. On FMP on marriage search, you can use filters for year of birth for the person you’re searching Just narrowed 30 people down to just two .

Comment

Yes, but that's based on assumption rather than fact, ie if you filter for born mid-1970's it won't show you any marriages before c1990, but those marriages would still include any couples who married aged 100.

You could just as easily filter on 'when' and put 2000 +/- 10 years.

Comment

Have you tried electoral registers to see if either person was still living at home with their parents - assuming of course you know where the parents lived in the timeframe you are looking at for their marriages?
                ancestry and FMP have some modern ones. The children should be listed from 1987 and 1989 respectively from age 17 depending on their actual birthday. I can’t remember offhand what letters / numbers are used beside the name of someone who is 17 before October when the registers are compiled annually and who is known will be 18 before the date of a possible election in May the following year.

You could also try a 24hr access to tracegenie.com which costs £3.50 and they don’t autorenew so no chance of being billed twice. It’s cheaper than the likes of 192.com

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                  Yes, but that's based on assumption rather than fact, ie if you filter for born mid-1970's it won't show you any marriages before c1990, but those marriages would still include any couples who married aged 100.

You could just as easily filter on 'when' and put 2000 +/- 10 years.

Thanks Teasie. Valid points. Yes, after I posted that, I still had my doubts about my results for the reasons you say. Just a pity that the aunt couldn’t have stayed in one place all her life like the rest of the family

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    Have you tried electoral registers to see if either person was still living at home with their parents - assuming of course you know where the parents lived in the timeframe you are looking at for their marriages?
                    ancestry and FMP have some modern ones. The children should be listed from 1987 and 1989 respectively from age 17 depending in their actual birthday. I can’t remember offhand what letters / numbers are used beside the name of someone who is 17 before October when the registers are compiled annually and who is known will be 18 before the date of a possible election in May the following year.

You could also try a 24hr access to tracegenie.com which costs £3.50 and they don’t autorenew so no chance of being billed twice. It’s cheaper than the likes of 192.com
                    Thanks for that ? Looks like these could be helpful. Never even heard of tracegenie. That sounds like a great option.

Thanks GallowayLass ?

Comment

Working...
                    X