Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with Annis

hi,
    i'm trying to find my 4th great grandmother on my dads maternal line and not getting very far.

i know her name as she is listed as mother to my 3rd great grandfather on the 1841 wakefield and 1851 bradford. her brith is 1803/1805 on the 2 census. it is definately Annie not Annie in the writing. It is also listed as Annis on family search linked to baptisms of children. But i can't find a marriage for her and Thomas my 4th great grandfather, this means i only know her 1st name and married surname.
    She is burried at Bradford (St Peter's) cathedral, her death was jan 1852, burried 28th jan 1852.

has anyone got any ideas as to where i can find her maiden name? would it be listed on birth certs of children? there are 4 born after 1837 but all have very common names (Sarah, elizabeth, emma and henry) and their baptisms are all in various places around the area of wakefield, bradford, wrenthorpe etc and mother is listed as wood.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

I would use FMP/freebmd to find the likely births in Wakefield area for each of the children, so that you can pinpoint the reg districts, and then use GRO so search through and try and find the same Maiden name
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Free Reg has the following baptism:-
      11 October 1840. Alverthorpe. Sarah Wood. Parents Thomas and Annis.
      Alverthorpe in city of Wakefield.
      From GRO Index. Wood, Sarah. 1840 Sep Q Wakefield Union. Mmn Thompson.
      Unfortunately I have yet to find a matching marriage.

Comment

The names Annis Thompson and John Wood appear on the same page Sep Q 1859 Keighley.

Ignore this. Your Annis was already dead!

Comment

can you give the birth dates of the children
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Interestingly there is a birth of Sarah MMN Thompson and also Elizabeth. you could try searching on GRO with that maiden name. I would also check the sounds similar box.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Baptisms from Family Search:-
              Ann. 5 June 1824. Wakefield
              Joseph. 26 March 1826. East Ardsley.
              Mary .6 April 1828. East Ardsley.
              Thomas. 8 February 1835. East Ardsley
              Henry. Ditto
              Sarah. 11 October 1840. Alverthorpe

Additional in 1841.
              Charles. 12
              Emma. 4
              Living Wakefield

Additional in 1851.
              Elizabeth. 8
              George. 4
              Henry. 0
              All born Yorkshire, living Bradford.

Comment

There is a marriage in Wakefield 17 Feb 1823 Thomas Wood & Ann Thompson. Both otp & both signed X. Witnesses William Wood & Mary Thompson also signed X

Comment

hi,
                  thank you for replies. the children above are righti will look into the gro and see if they list as thompson, it wasnt somewhere i thouhgt to look so thank you.
                  **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

The George born 1847 is shown on census as 'grandson' - whilst possible I know I somehow doubt that 7 month Henry belongs to Annis (some 8 years after her last child) and wonder if this should read grandson too.

Emma was baptised in 1836 so born before civil registration and I too had worked out from Sarah and Elizabeth's birth entries that Annis' maiden name was Thompson - I suspect that the 1823 marriage posted by teasie is indeed the one. A number of their children were baptised at Ardesley and think this would be Annis' baptism:

Annice Thomson bp.18/8/1805 Ardesley, illegitimate daughter of Mary.

Annette

Comment

Working...
                    X