Probate Queries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate Queries

I have a couple of questions about probate in the early 20th century.

Joseph, a widower, died in 1909, without leaving a will. Admon was granted to his eldest son, the value for probate was just over £45. I am assuming that the proceeds would be divided equally between his remaining children. Would each child have to apply for their own money or would it be given to the Administrator to hand out.

Would money due to a daughter be paid to her or would it be paid to her husband.

Thanks

Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

If you are correct in your assumption that all the children got a share then I think that what the daughter got was hers and not her husband’s. It’s one of those quirks of inherited money and goods. It would have been divvied up by the eldest son, no need to apply for your share.

Comment

As far as I know the person granted administration is responsible for making the payments, although I'm sure his siblings were watching! I think it would be up to the administrator to decide whether to pay his sister directly or pay it to her husband.
      Anne

Snap, GL!

Comment

Thanks GL and Anne, that really helps.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I should think once married women (not just widows) were allowed to make their own wills, inheritance would go direct to the woman, not her husband. But when was this changed?

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X