Sullivan Mary Ann proving she existed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
    Well someone in that notice is a sibling of dennis, as it states father and brother.
    I saw that, and wondered who it would be as couldn't see anyone from the family found a while back. Maybe she was know as something else.

I just used Trove to find that one.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/search/adva...e&l-decade=194

the Welsh newspaper are also free where a lot was found for the callaghan family.

what choices do you have on the GRO, I can only see the one I mentioned?
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-04-21, 08:49.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I thought it maybe easier to quote some info about Denis from previous threads rather than merge them:
      Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

Here is a summary of the records found on this thread– I think this is everything:
      1841 on his own in Abergavenny
      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/8979/MONHO107_743_744-0555/8284737

1851 Abergavenny with the family (transcribed badly Lewis)
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Post 50 has an image

Dennis Ocalligan Head Mar 40 Laborer Ireland
      Ellen Ocalligan Wife 38 Ireland
      Mike Ocalligan Son 6 1845 Monmouthshire, Wales
      Jerry Ocalligan Son Unmarried Male 3 1848 Monmouthshire, Wales
      Timothy Ocalligan Son 3 1848 Monmouthshire, Wales

1861 Aberystruth
      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/8768/MONRG9_3994_3997-1034?pid=13434933
      Dennis C Callagan 49
      Ellen Callagan 38
      Tim Callagan 13
      Dennis Callagan 9
      Mary Callagan 4

1871 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V55C-R7X
      Ellen remarried
      James Donovan 50
      Ellen Donovan 50
      Mary A Callaghan 15

Children from census with likely birth regs
      Michael 1845
      Jeremiah Timothy 1848
      birth - Jeremiah Timothy Callaghan Q3 1848 Abergavenny MMN Collins
      Death - O'CALLAGHAN, JEREMIAH age 9
      GRO Reference: 1858 M Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 73
      Dennis 1851
      Birth - O CALLAGAN, DENIS MMN COLLINS GRO Reference: 1851 S Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 26 Page 14
      Thomas 1854
      Birth - CALAGHAN, THOMAS MMN COLLINS GRO Reference: 1854 D Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 65
      Death - O'CALLAGHAN, THOMAS age 3
      GRO Reference: 1858 M Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 65
      Mary 1857
      Birth - O CALLAGHAN, MARY COLLINS
      GRO Reference: 1857 S Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 68

Post 19 Has death of Dennis:
      Just come across something in the Welsh newspapers

https://newspapers.library.wales/vie...is%20Callaghan

BLAINA. FATAL ACCIDENT —On Wednesday the 22nd instant, an accident occurred at these works, which resulted in the death of a man, named Dennis O'Callaghan, aged 46 years...

death
      CALLAGHAN, DENNIS 46
      GRO Reference: 1861 J Quarter in ABERGAVENNY Volume 11A Page 48

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
      I remember we were wondering about the 2 sons who must have died in an accident, I was looking at Ellen who appears to have married as Collings and came across a burial for a James Donovan of Blaina age 60 Aberystruth records

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Can't remember how I got here but Michael Occaligan burial age 12 Blaina

And newspaper account of how he died

https://newspapers.library.wales/vie...20AND%20blaina

Jeremiah Occaligan

Newspaper account

https://newspapers.library.wales/vie...20AND%20blaina

Here's the link transcribed as Davies

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCY9-4RF
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-04-21, 08:53.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Carolyn
        sullivan john 1875 j qtr swansea 11a 752
        sullivan john 1874 j qrt newport 11a 205
        callaghan john 1874 s qrt bedwelty 11a 123

I will try the Welsh papers as I have had some luck in Blaina area
        I have to make the time to do more searching on Trove

Is that Trove result for a particular person or just a example of what is there
        Brian

I just saw the new post and will read it shortly

Carolyn have had a quick look and i have some of the Monmouthshire Merlin articles and tomorrow i will look closely at all of it.
        Thank you very much for the effort and input
        avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
        researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

the last one in bedwelty has MMN of Wall so not that one

​​​​​​CALLAGHAN, JOHN WALL
          GRO Reference: 1874 S Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 123

I guess it maybe none - Newport seems more likely to records found, have you seen any connection of Mary in Swansea? Have you tried to trace the one born in Swansea on any future census, does seem to be a few sullivans about.

Posted link to Trove that should have funeral notice
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by 2weis View Post
            Carolyn
            sullivan john 1875 j qtr swansea 11a 752
            sullivan john 1874 j qrt newport 11a 205
            callaghan john 1874 s qrt bedwelty 11a 123

I will try the Welsh papers as I have had some luck in Blaina area
            I have to make the time to do more searching on Trove

Is that Trove result for a particular person or just a example of what is there
            Brian

I just saw the new post and will read it shortly

Carolyn have had a quick look and i have some of the Monmouthshire Merlin articles and tomorrow i will look closely at all of it.
            Thank you very much for the effort and input
            The Newport one could be the child b SULLIVAN, John June Q 1874 no mm n died SULLIVAN, John June q 1875 Newport aged 1 11A 113

There is another Bedwelty one for SULLIVAN, John b June Q 1874 no mm n 11A 91

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

The Newport one could be the child b SULLIVAN, John June Q 1874 no mm n died SULLIVAN, John June q 1875 Newport aged 1 11A 113

There is another Bedwelty one for SULLIVAN, John b June Q 1874 no mm n 11A 91

Vera
              that looks a likely one
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Vera Carolyn
                Good morning
                I have made note of them and will see what i can find, between this branch an another branch (Gibson/Sharpe 1800-1850) it looks like i will be propping up the UK economy via GRO for some time

Carolyn that newspaper article for the burial wont open unless i have a paid subscription

Thanking All
                Brian
                Last edited by 2weis; 12-04-21, 21:22. Reason: im not a typist
                researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

do you mean this link?

https://trove.nla.gov.au/search/adva...e&l-decade=194

I have no subscription. not even sure I logged on. The whole article is the snip, so nothing more to see.

You should be able to search Trove for any other articles.
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-04-21, 22:03.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

carolyn
                    No it is this reference i cant open

I remember we were wondering about the 2 sons who must have died in an accident, I was looking at Ellen who appears to have married as Collings and came across a burial for a James Donovan of Blaina age 60 Aberystruth records

Brian

Comment

Have just ordered first cert. Mary Ann 1857 v11a p68 Abergavenny 7 pound = 12 or 13 aus dollars not bad
                      Brian

Comment

carolyn
                        No it is this reference i cant open

Brian
                        I guess they have changed that record only, Elaine found it sometime back, you probably saved it then?
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

which certificates are your short list?

I did see that you reported on one of the child's birth she put down Glamorgan rather than Monmouthsire. Not sure if this is significant, as it is also Monmouthshire on another
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn
                            I will sift the hint I've received here thru the record via GRO and see which seem likely,I also have 2 relatives researching so I will try and collaborate with the
                            Once again thanks to all for your invaluable input and if any thing else arises I am interested
                            Brian

Comment

Just going back to the Hydaspes passenger list, I think it actually says Margt [Margaret] Sullivan, not Mary.

If you look about half a dozen entries up from the Sullivan entry (page 20/58) you'll see Mary Rafferty & Margt Ryan, and the Sullivan entry is definitely written more like the Margt.

Another Mary & Margaret [Beary] are travelling together on page 19, immediately followed by 3 more Mary's, and the difference in how they are written is very clear.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                Just going back to the Hydaspes passenger list, I think it actually says Margt [Margaret] Sullivan, not Mary.

If you look about half a dozen entries up from the Sullivan entry (page 20/58) you'll see Mary Rafferty & Margt Ryan, and the Sullivan entry is definitely written more like the Margt.

Another Mary & Margaret [Beary] are travelling together on page 19, immediately followed by 3 more Mary's, and the difference in how they are written is very clear.

https://archives.sa.gov.au/sites/def...5_Hydaspes.pdf
                                any idea what the reg numbers mean? and why they share the same one?
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

I can only guess that the registry number is a bit like a booking reference, but relates only to the specific ship/journey.

If you go back to the first page there are a number of families travelling together and they all share the same registry number, so it certainly looks like Sullivan & Gallagher were travelling together. It would be a heck of a coincidence if it wasn't them, but it still looks like she was listed as Margaret

Comment

[QUOTE=teasie;n1321941]Just going back to the Hydaspes passenger list, I think it actually says Margt [Margaret] Sullivan, not Mary.

Also recorded as Adult Irish but maybe because no column for Welsh.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                      I can only guess that the registry number is a bit like a booking reference, but relates only to the specific ship/journey.

If you go back to the first page there are a number of families travelling together and they all share the same registry number, so it certainly looks like Sullivan & Gallagher were travelling together. It would be a heck of a coincidence if it wasn't them, but it still looks like she was listed as Margaret
                                      That is what I was thinking, but thought you were maybe saying she was someone else.

If this is them together John must be left behind, and I am assuming he has never been found by Brian with the family in Australia, so he is likely to be with a family member in Wales....shame his name is John!
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Vera
                                        Unfortunately it appears you are correct with the name. The only thing i can suggest is that she was unable to read or write so the clerk may have made an error.
                                        Or its not her. The same with her son John th only thing i can think is he was placed with a relative as a child and Mary kept in touch but never reclaimed him.
                                        Brian

Comment

Vera
                                          Unfortunately it appears you are correct with the name. The only thing i can suggest is that she was unable to read or write so the clerk may have made an error.
                                          Or its not her. The same with her son John th only thing i can think is he was placed with a relative as a child and Mary kept in touch but never reclaimed him.
                                          Brian
                                          Brian Teasie noted the entry was Margt (Margaret) not Mary on Hyspades and Carolyn with ticket number 507 same as that of entry for Denis Callaghan.

The Margaret entry could be your Mary Ann. In my own family the registered names are quite different from those they are known as.

I would still look at John who was likely to be born in Wales for clues to your Mary Ann.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                          X