James Morris 30
    Winifred " 25
    Jeffrey " 10
    Hannah " 8
    James " 6
    Fredrick " 4
    Mary " 2
    Elisabeth Bould 60

I cant find a marriage for James & Winifred & tried to connect her to Elisabeth Bould with no luck.

Winifred is not in the 1851c for Stone,Staffs. where James is living with his widowed mother Ann Morris who is listed as Head & is 82 yrs
    There is a Grandson,3 of James Morris' children & also a Visitor.

Can anyone help please.to find out what Winifreds maiden name was & where was she from.
    ​Bettyespana

Seems possible that the birth registered DUDLEY 1st qtr 1840 for Frederick Morris could be their child. Could someone look at the GRO site for the MMN of that child?

There are several possibilities for Mary <Ann?> Morris including Mary Ann Morris b. 2nd qtr 1840, registered STONE

1851 census (if anyone is interested)

Winifred Morris dies Stone in 3rd qtr 1841

Elizabeth Bould dies Stone in 4th qtr 1847

Comment

If you can find the details of Mary's birth on GRO Index, it should show her mother's (Winifred's) maiden name.
      The closest I can find is Mary Ann Morris, June 1840. Stone. Mmn Hodgkisson.
      This ties in with the baptism on 17 May 1840 at Fulford, Staffs. Parents James and Winfred Morris.

(I see PhotoFamily got there before me)

Comment

Originally posted by brentor boy View Post
        If you can find the details of Mary's birth on GRO Index, it should show her mother's (Winifred's) maiden name.
        The closest I can find is Mary Ann Morris, June 1840. Stone. Mmn Hodgkisson.
        This ties in with the baptism on 17 May 1840 at Fulford, Staffs. Parents James and Winfred Morris.

(I see PhotoFamily got there before me)
        where do you suppose the marriage record is... but

Possible birth (YOB from burial age estimate)
        Winifred Hodgkisson
        Female
        22 Nov 1809
        27 Nov 1809
        Stone, Staffordshire, England

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          Seems possible that the birth registered DUDLEY 1st qtr 1840 for Frederick Morris could be their child. Could someone look at the GRO site for the MMN of that child?

There are several possibilities for Mary <Ann?> Morris including Mary Ann Morris b. 2nd qtr 1840, registered STONE

1851 census (if anyone is interested)

Winifred Morris dies Stone in 3rd qtr 1841

Elizabeth Bould dies Stone in 4th qtr 1847
          Thank you for this,I got the details of 1851c on FS.I dont have a subscription to ancestry.com.
          ​Bettyespana

Comment

MORRIS, FREDERICK HOLDEN
            GRO Reference: 1840 M Quarter in DUDLEY UNION Volume 18 Page 283

Comment

where do you suppose the marriage record is... but

Possible birth (YOB from burial age estimate)
              Winifred Hodgkisson
              Female
              22 Nov 1809
              27 Nov 1809
              Stone, Staffordshire, England
              Something isn't tying in here.On the date of birth estimate it states born 1809.That would make Winifred 32 however on the 1841c she is 25 & the eldest child is 10 yrs of age.
              ​Bettyespana

Comment

May be something, may be nothing.
                Marriage 20 Dec 1827. James Morrey/ Winifred Hodgkinson. St Michael, Stone, Staffs.

Comment

Marriage 20 Dec 1827. James Morrey/ Winifred Hodgkinson. St Michael, Stone, Staffs.
                  Looks like this could be a possible answer brentor boy. Its the right area Stone.
                  ​Bettyespana

Comment

Originally posted by bettyespana View Post

Something isn't tying in here.On the date of birth estimate it states born 1809.That would make Winifred 32 however on the 1841c she is 25 & the eldest child is 10 yrs of age.
                    You need to be a bit cautious as to adult ages in the 1841 census - for the reason below, which I’ve cut and pasted from https://durhamrecordsonline.com/upda...-age-rounding/

In the 1841 census, the age of persons over 15 was supposed to be rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5. For example, a person aged 19 would be listed as 15, a person aged 22 would be listed as age 20, and a person age 59 would be listed as 55. In practice, many census officials either did not round down at all or only rounded down for higher ages, such as over 20, or (less frequently) rounded down ages below 15. In general, the age of a person under 15 is probably accurate to within a year or two. For persons over 15, any age that is not a multiple of 5 is likely also to be accurate – for example, if a person is listed as 27, he or she probably really is 27 or thereabouts, rather than 25. The area you have to be careful of is persons over age 15 whose age is a multiple of 5 – they may be up to 4 years older than their census listing shows – so if your ancestor is listed as 50, remember that he or she is likely actually between the ages of 50 and 54 inclusive. This, of course, does not even take into account the errors made by census officials and family members reporting the ages of others ! Finally, if the age of a person was unknown, children were supposed to be recorded as “under 20” and adults as “over 20”.

Christine

Researching:
                    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

You need to be a bit cautious as to adult ages in the 1841 census - for the reason below, which I’ve cut and pasted from https://durhamrecordsonline.com/upda...-age-rounding/

In the 1841 census, the age of persons over 15 was supposed to be rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5. For example, a person aged 19 would be listed as 15, a person aged 22 would be listed as age 20, and a person age 59 would be listed as 55. In practice, many census officials either did not round down at all or only rounded down for higher ages, such as over 20, or (less frequently) rounded down ages below 15. In general, the age of a person under 15 is probably accurate to within a year or two. For persons over 15, any age that is not a multiple of 5 is likely also to be accurate – for example, if a person is listed as 27, he or she probably really is 27 or thereabouts, rather than 25. The area you have to be careful of is persons over age 15 whose age is a multiple of 5 – they may be up to 4 years older than their census listing shows – so if your ancestor is listed as 50, remember that he or she is likely actually between the ages of 50 and 54 inclusive. This, of course, does not even take into account the errors made by census officials and family members reporting the ages of others ! Finally, if the age of a person was unknown, children were supposed to be recorded as “under 20” and adults as “over 20”.

Christine

Oh! My goodness what a way to keep records.No wonder we can get so confused trying to find our ancestors.Thank you for sending this info which will be useful to others
                      who may read it.

Betty
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 06-04-21, 22:27. Reason: quote end
                      ​Bettyespana

Comment

Is she in your direct line? Buying the death cert for her &/or buying a birth cert for Mary Ann would give you some certainty.

Comment

Given the utter confusion caused in my thread a few months ago by my Joseph MORREY / MURY / MORRIS, I’d say this is highly likely the marriage of the same man as in the 1841 census.

Comment

Is she in your direct line? Buying the death cert for her &/or buying a birth cert for Mary Ann would give you some certainty.
                            No,she is not in my direct line.It also isn't an option for me anymore to buy certs as the postal service here in Spain is very unreliable which I have found t my cost.

Thank you anyway.

​Bettyespana

Comment

Not sure if you have these baptisms, - all from Free Reg.
                              Hannah Morris, 9 Sep 1833, James Morris, 1 March 1835, Frederic, 10 Dec 1837. Fulford, St Nicholas. Parents James and Winifred. Residence Leadendale. Occupation Wheelwright

Comment

Originally posted by bettyespana View Post

No,she is not in my direct line.It also isn't an option for me anymore to buy certs as the postal service here in Spain is very unreliable which I have found t my cost.

Thank you anyway.
                                You can get birth and death certificates as a PDF by email now. It's also cheaper at £7 than a posted one.

GRO, General Register Office, Birth Certificates, Death Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Civil Partnership Certificates, Adoption Certificates, Commemorative Marriage Certificates, Family History, FAQ

Caroline
                                Caroline's Family History Pages
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Not sure if you have these baptisms, - all from Free Reg.
                                  Hannah Morris, 9 Sep 1833, James Morris, 1 March 1835, Frederic, 10 Dec 1837. Fulford, St Nicholas. Parents James and Winifred. Residence Leadendale. Occupation Wheelwright
                                  I know James was a Wheelwright & lived Leadendale however I hadn't got the childrens baptisms.Thank you so much.
                                  ​Bettyespana

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

You can get birth and death certificates as a PDF by email now. It's also cheaper at £7 than a posted one.

GRO, General Register Office, Birth Certificates, Death Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Civil Partnership Certificates, Adoption Certificates, Commemorative Marriage Certificates, Family History, FAQ

Thank you for this info Caroline it is handy to know & I can tell my son if he wants to do that in the future.
                                    ​Bettyespana

Comment

Working...
                                    X