South Africa searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello!

I have the marriage certifcate and as anticipated doesn't give me a whole lot of info!

It does say that Florence's father is deceased so John Henry McGinn presumably died between 1901-1928. He was a soldier - where do I start without a number - maybe he fought in the Boar War as she was apparently born in SA?

I guess I can go through FreeBMD looking for deaths in England/Wales and then try and trace via Ancestry to see if any of them match?

Thanks

Tessie

Comment

what was her home address at time of marriage. Can look in papers for that address, it maybe the home of her parents.

occupation just says soldier? no regiment?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Carolyn, I can't quite make it out - 9 Shop House, New Washington?

Yep, just soldier and deceased!

Thanks
        Attached Files

Comment

Wow not sure what that is at all, shame they both have same address too.

been pondering over the family being in Africa, wondered how many families travelled during war? Would it have only when no war?

need an army expert. Guess he could have been Irish, sent to Africa, then sent to north east and left there. Or just as easily been in north east regiment. I have stumbled across records of movements of regiments, but without a clue to the regiment in first place hard to know where to start.
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 16-10-21, 20:07.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

1911 census has a boy with the surname McGahan as a nephew to the head of household Edward Errington - address 9 Shop Houses, Washington Colliery, Co. Durham

1911 England Census

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              1911 census has a boy with the surname McGahan as a nephew to the head of household Edward Errington - address 9 Shop Houses, Washington Colliery, Co. Durham

1911 England Census
              Ooh good find, I didn’t even search doh! Wrong side of family though.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                Ooh good find, I didn’t even search doh! Wrong side of family though.
                Yep, that's the fly in the ointment. The only other close-ish surname I found was Ginn in Hebburn about 7 miles from Washington but the head of household is from Dundee. No Florence / Florrie etc. in the house.

Comment

Hi both, thanks for your finds/thoughts. I guess it's possible Florence's mother could be South African which is why she's born there (still can't prove either way or whether it's Chinese whispers through the family)!
                  I guess I can search for deaths for Henry from 1901 to 1928 in Durham and try and trace on Ancestry and see if I get anything from that or hope that some good Army researcher see's this haha

Comment

If you can locate the father's death, it should state he was a pensioner and the unit/branch he was in. My ancestor died around 1900 and occupation stated army pensioner, royal artillery. Then found the discharge paperwork on FMP.

Comment

Thing is, doing a quick search on familysearch shows the mcginn name in south africa from napoleonic times. If he was south african, he won't show up in british army papers. Have you looked at the south african archives?

any inkling on florence's mother?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        Thing is, doing a quick search on familysearch shows the mcginn name in south africa from napoleonic times. If he was south african, he won't show up in british army papers. Have you looked at the south african archives?

any inkling on florence's mother?
                        Kyle, no idea about her Mother! I'm a bit out of my depth with searching SA records. I don't really know where to go from here! There are a few Henry McGinn deaths in England/Wales between 1901-1928 as well!

Tessie

Comment

I did look at this site, and found nothing! https://www.angloboerwar.com/

Maybe the next census the mother will be on there with her nationality. not that far away.....
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Yes I guess the next census release is my only hope haha! Fingers crossed something comes up.

I can't find a Florence McGinn on the 1911 so I wonder if they are all SA and come over to England after this - if that's the case is it worth looking up passenger / naturalisation records?

Thanks Carolyn

Tessie

Comment

I have looked through ancestry to find and travel, nothing popped up, but easily missed.

seems likely that they are SA (or went as children with family), it just seems unlikely that they would send him and his family into war. but I don't have any skills on that area - maybe they did.

Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

I think regimental wives still followed along at the period of the Boer War. Not 100% certain though. It would more likely be officers’ wives who went.

Comment

Followed GL on post 4 for FMP. Just putting in Florence throws up a few. None with McGinn or similar, or likely dob. Followed one through, 1911 Ireland with G parents, a twin, father RAMC. Eliminated.

FS site had above records, marriage and births in SA.

I can see later travel overseas and residency of Staffs if I have the correct one.

Wonder if 1986 Pembrokeshire Will would reveal anything. Are you able to give first names of any children of the marriage to William who are deceased?

Vera

Comment

I think for £1.50 I would get the will, might have an odd relative in there.

Did find this, no help, but thought would put it here:

Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 23.52.00.png
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                      Followed GL on post 4 for FMP. Just putting in Florence throws up a few. None with McGinn or similar, or likely dob. Followed one through, 1911 Ireland with G parents, a twin, father RAMC. Eliminated.

I can see later travel overseas and residency of Staffs if I have the correct one.

Wonder if 1986 Pembrokeshire Will would reveal anything. Are you able to give first names of any children of the marriage to William who are deceased?

Vera

I have found the Florence and William travel with Staffs address (separate travel), I assume to be correct, William was in the police in Singapore?
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Vera

I don't know of any siblings - I've asked my Aunty as it's for her if she knows!

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                          I think for £1.50 I would get the will, might have an odd relative in there.

Did find this, no help, but thought would put it here:

Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 23.52.00.png
                                          Carolyn,

Where do I go for wills?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X