South Africa searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Africa searches

Hello, does anyone know if records exist for baptisms / births / marriages and if so if they are on Ancestry or FMP or another site maybe in SA?

Someone I'm searching for for a married in Aunt of mine believes her great grandmother was born in Durban so her family know nothing about this part of her family (no idea if they are from SA or were out there for work). I'm guessing I could get the marriage cert. (she married here) to get her father's name but I still wouldn't be able to find out much from that I don't think?

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

Try Family Search. I've found a few on there and they are actual images of certificates and wills. Not sure how widespread they are.
    Anne

Comment

As anne said, familysearch has some records. Also try local archives to see what they hold.

Comment

If gt.grandmother’s parents were living out there for work and remained British citizens, her birth should be in the consular returns. If they were armed forces people, there should also be a record of birth returned to UK.

This is a post I wrote in answer to a query in Scottish Indexes Group on FB. Although the subject’s family there was Scottish and event was early 1960’s, the same principles apply. There are returns for births and marriages. Hope it helps. I’ve got worldwide FMP if you want to post gt.grandmother’s details.

“Assuming your relative kept his UK citizenship or had dual UK/SA citizenship -
        In most cases, any death of a British civilian abroad usually resulted in a notification being sent to the relevant British Consul or the UK High Commission, which will allow you to find their details within the General Register Office (GRO) consular indices. With this in mind the likely record sets at TNA would be;

DABR - GRO Death Abroad Indices (1966 to 1994)

DCON - GRO Consular Death Indices (1849 to 1965)

HCD2 - GRO High Commission Death Indices (1956 to 1965)

If you can get access to FindmyPast, the you can search by name in all these sets which have been lumped together with many others at this link.

UPDATE. Sorry that link is not working. Have removed it. Will try to find another.

Hopefully this one works. It’s for the births and baptisms section.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/sear...s-and-baptisms

Last edited by GallowayLass; 07-04-21, 11:17.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          If gt.grandmother’s parents were living out there for work and remained British citizens, her birth should be in the consular returns. If they were armed forces people, there should also be a record of birth returned to UK.

This is a post I wrote in answer to a query in Scottish Indexes Group on FB. Although the subject’s family there was Scottish and event was early 1960’s, the same principles apply. There are returns for births and marriages. Hope it helps. I’ve got worldwide FMP if you want to post gt.grandmother’s details.

“Assuming your relative kept his UK citizenship or had dual UK/SA citizenship -
          In most cases, any death of a British civilian abroad usually resulted in a notification being sent to the relevant British Consul or the UK High Commission, which will allow you to find their details within the General Register Office (GRO) consular indices. With this in mind the likely record sets at TNA would be;

DCON - GRO Consular Death Indices (1849 to 1965)

HCD2 - GRO High Commission Death Indices (1956 to 1965)

If you can get access to FindmyPast, the you can search by name in all these sets which have been lumped together with many others at this link.

UPDATE. Sorry that link is not working. Have removed it. Will try to find another.

Hopefully this one works. It’s for the births and baptisms section.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/sear...s-and-baptisms
          I have looked on FS and couldn't see anything!
          The lady and family I'm looking for is Florence McGinn - born 1901 in Durban. She married William McGahan in 1928 in Chester le Street, Durham. That's the only info I have. Thanks for the links etc - will have a look a bit later
          Tessie

Comment

It might be worth having a look at these links: FTF Reference Library > World Index > South Africa. I had some success with them. The NAARS site is well worth trying or the eGGSA. (Some of the other links are not working today, but those which are have various bits and pieces).
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hello, I'm really struggling to work out how to search some of these suggested sites.

Is anyone willing to look in their spare time for this lady/her family?

I will keep trying but I'm not sure where else to go - apart from getting her marriage certificate to find out Father's details?

Thanks, Tessie

Comment

South african marriages don't record parents details. From memory, very similar to parish records.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  South african marriages don't record parents details. From memory, very similar to parish records.
                  Hi, this lady married in England - I'm not sure if her parents were South African - I'm wondering if her parent's were out there due to Army life or something like that? I just don't know where to start!

Thanks

Comment

Boer war was 1899-1902, but not necessarily the reason her family may have been in south africa. Do you know her father's name? You could look to see if he fought?
                    ​​​​
                    familysearch was the best option when i last looked, but that was several years ago. One of distant uncles fought in the boer war, and stayed. His marriages were both on familysearch.

Comment

Boer war was 1899-1902, but not necessarily the reason her family may have been in south africa. Do you know her father's name? You could look to see if he fought?
                      ​​​​
                      familysearch was the best option when i last looked, but that was several years ago. One of distant uncles fought in the boer war, and stayed. His marriages were both on familysearch.
                      Unfortunately I know nothing of this lady's family except her and the man she married/family she had in England! McGinn just doesn't sound very South African! I think I will get her marriage cert. to see if the Father section holds any info!

Thanks

Comment

McGinn sounds Irish to me but saying that I was at school with McGinn girls and they were Scottish. I don’t know if their ancestry was Irish or not. Never think about these things when you are a child.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                          McGinn sounds Irish to me but saying that I was at school with McGinn girls and they were Scottish. I don’t know if their ancestry was Irish or not. Never think about these things when you are a child.
                          Yes I thought it sound Irish/Scottish!

Comment

i think the marriage cert has to be a start, getting the fathers name should make it much easier. Did look in papers last night, but nothing popped out.

Did she have children? Looks like there was a will, but she lived to a good age if that is her in wales, so don't think that will give you much.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                              i think the marriage cert has to be a start, getting the fathers name should make it much easier. Did look in papers last night, but nothing popped out.

Did she have children? Looks like there was a will, but she lived to a good age if that is her in wales, so don't think that will give you much.
                              Yes she did but they know nothing as far as I'm aware! This part of the family is complicated! Marriage cert. ordered - hopefully will give me something!

Thanks

Comment

Have you been able to identify her in 1911?

Comment

Have you been able to identify her in 1911?
                                  No, but that might be I'm rubbish for thinking of different spellings for her surname haha! I will try again as haven't searched this tree for a while! Thanks

Comment

So my Auntie says that the info she was given is that Florence's Father was apparently called Henry John Mcginn and born around 1880 and her Mother's MN was Mcgee but I don't know where they got the info from - Irish or Scottish sounding names? I'm waiting on Florence's marriage certificate but not sure where to go once I get this as it obviously won't give me much detail to go forwards with?

Tessie

Comment

I see that someone already has him on their tree, and has a travel record in 1959 with his address as 96 Church Hill Drive, Broom Hill, Glasgow.
                                      His dob on that record is 27 Dec 1885.

Travelling from Durban
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                        I see that someone already has him on their tree, and has a travel record in 1959 with his address as 96 Church Hill Drive, Broom Hill, Glasgow.
                                        His dob on that record is 27 Dec 1885.

Travelling from Durban
                                        I don't think that record is him Carolyn - his daughter Florence was born in 1901 making that dob for him not right!

Comment

Working...
                                        X