South Africa searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
    Thanks Carolyn, need to wait until the credit / micropayment things is available to look.

Unfortunately the will gives no information - only mentions a son in law and a grandson (the executors)!

Will leave this as a brick wall and hope the 1921 census brings up anything!

Thanks everyone
    the FMP documents tell you nothing, just regimental police and service number. wounded in Malta 14 3 41 and he was a corporal

shame about the will.
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 23-10-21, 23:23.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Is it worth getting Florence's death cert - will it have where she was born on it?

Comment

Birthplace and dob were added from the late 60's i think it was.

when did she die?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          Birthplace and dob were added from the late 60's i think it was.

when did she die?
          1987 so I think I'll get it in case it says!

Comment

I can find William McGahan (McGowan) on 1921 census and they are living in ??? House, Windy Nook, Gateshead. Mother Martha 44 and son Nicholas 23 and daughter Mary 19

not finding Florence
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              I can find William McGahan (McGowan) on 1921 census and they are living in ??? House, Windy Nook, Gateshead. Mother Martha 44 and son Nicholas 23 and daughter Mary 19

not finding Florence
              I wonder if Florence was still in SA then? My Aunty says she believes Florence and William were both in the RAF or Army and that they lived in Wales after they got married.

Comment

I thought they went to Singapore from staffordshire and then Wales?

I can only find Florence in Wales, no William.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Did you ever get the death cert? What did it say for date of birth and place?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    Did you ever get the death cert? What did it say for date of birth and place?
                    No I didn't - do you think I should get it?

Comment

I thought they went to Singapore from staffordshire and then Wales?

I can only find Florence in Wales, no William.
                      Death do you mean?

Comment

No I didn't - do you think I should get it?
                        You said you were going to get it. Might be wise.

Comment

Death do you mean?
                          I can't find William on reg of electors - did he die before 1958
                          I assume this is Florence 1958 - 76 Arthur Street

Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

nb there is another thread for this
                            Good evening, can anyone tell me if Ancestry worldwide has records for South Africa please? Thank you
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

nb there is another thread for this
                              https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...stry-worldwide
                              Yes sorry, not sure how to merge this one!

Comment

I can't find William on reg of electors - did he die before 1958
                                I assume this is Florence 1958 - 76 Arthur Street

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/co...Gahan&count=50
                                I think this is her as she lived in Wales for quite a few years. My aunty told me that William left the family but she nor her Mum know when or why! She thought it was after the war but as you guys have found out for me they went to Singapore in the early 50's so must have been after that! I think he died in 1985, Northumberland.

Comment

Just remembered I was going to have another look on FMP and the reg of electors for 1929 has her at Shop Houses, I think William is Joseph as he is absent
                                  Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 10.07.40.png

in 1930 they are at 15 Howard Street, Windy Nook, he is William and absent voter again.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Just remembered I was going to have another look on FMP and the reg of electors for 1929 has her at Shop Houses, I think William is Joseph as he is absent
                                    Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 10.07.40.png

in 1930 they are at 15 Howard Street, Windy Nook, he is William and absent voter again.
                                    Thank you, no records I have show a middle initial but Joseph must be William! Is it worth getting his DC to see if it offers any information? I wonder why he 'left' the family and it must have been after they came back from Singapore - I need to go back through this thread and write down dates and places and see if I can trace William after Singapore.

Comment

He didn't go to Singapore until after the daughter was married as far as I can see.

He went in 7 Nov 1950 (may not be first time?) and came back 26 Jan 1955 - if that is indeed him as he has changed career https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...9?pId=19560279 I guess he may have been some kind of security?

She went 4 May 1951 and returned 27 Oct 1952, address for return was 4 South Ave, New Washington
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

He didn't go to Singapore until after the daughter was married as far as I can see.

He went in 7 Nov 1950 (may not be first time?) and came back 26 Jan 1955 - if that is indeed him as he has changed career https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...9?pId=19560279 I guess he may have been some kind of security?

She went 4 May 1951 and returned 27 Oct 1952, address for return was 4 South Ave, New Washington
                                        Thanks Carolyn - hmm! Maybe Florence came back in 1952 and thats when they 'split up' as 3 years is quite a while to not see one another? Are there divorce records for the 50's around? I guess if I have the correct death for William it would be worth getting the DC in case the informant can give us any clues? Maybe I should look for a 2nd marriage for William as well although if he's been using Joseph as well then I need to search that name too?!

Tessie

Comment

there is the Joseph Mcgahan that was the nephew in 1911 census, so he may have been living there and absent, and William not even of reg, I think more likely, so you only need worry about name William. M means he was a merchant seaman.

If you want to find out more about William then his DC could help. Can't see a will. Maybe he didn't have much in the end.
                                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 26-12-22, 22:29.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X