Trying to tie up loose ends!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to tie up loose ends!

I've found lots of info about Francis Pratt b1837 Leicester and Mary Ann Newall / Newell, who it appears had at least 13 children.
    Mary was baptised at Illston-on-the-Hill, Leics in 1850.
    I've got their baptism dates, census info, their children, deaths and burials.

It appears their first child's birth, (Arthur) was registered in 1870 Leicester.
    Is anyone please able to find their marriage?
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

I thought I'd found it;

Mary Ann Newell m Q4 1871 Leicester

unfortunately not the correct Mary as grooms listed are Ralph Holmes and John Stephenson Morris

update: this Mary Ann married John.

Comment

Could he be the Francis Pratt who married Sarah Ann Chambers in Leicester in 1858?

In 1861 Sarah Ann Pratt married aged 24 is with her parents at 91, Bedford Street, St Margarets, Leicester

Francis appears to have joined the army in 1859 (1st Bn 19th Regiment of Foot), and in 1861 is in Brompton, Kent, claiming to be unmarried.

By 1871 Sarah Ann's mother has died and her father is in the workhouse. I've checked their cemetery records & Sarah Ann is not with them. I suspect she may be somewhere in the census using a 'married' surname.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
        By 1871 Sarah Ann's mother has died and her father is in the workhouse. I've checked their cemetery records & Sarah Ann is not with them. I suspect she may be somewhere in the census using a 'married' surname.
        Having dug a bit further I think she might be the Sarah Ann Hearn/Hurne 'married' to Alfred & living on Navigation Street, Leicester 1871-1911. I can't trace a marriage for them, but these are their children:

HEARN, MARY ANN mmn CHAMBERS GRO Reference: 1869 M Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 216
        HERN, JOSEPH mmn CHAMBERS GRO Reference: 1871 D Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 198
        HEARN, ELLEN mmn CHAMBERS GRO Reference: 1873 S Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 183
        HERN, JAMES mmn CHAMBERS GRO Reference: 1876 J Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 211

They also had children named Alfred & Frederick, who according to the 1871 census were both born c1863. Frederick married in 1888 under the name of Fred Pratt. His address was 41 Navigation Street - the address the Hearn's lived at in 1881.

These looks like Alfred & Fredericks births:

HEARN, ALFRED mmn TOWERS GRO Reference: 1864 M Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 185
        PRATT, FREDERICK (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1864 D Quarter in LEICESTER Volume 07A Page 189

An Alfred Hearn married Mary Towers in 1855 Leicester.

Comment

thanks for the info teasie, I'll print it off and compare with info I've got.

Comment

Working...
          X