Missing death of John Askwith c1851

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing death of John Askwith c1851

I've got a few news cuttings relating to John Askwith, a higgler in Lincoln, two suggest he died in 1851 but I can't find a death ref for him.

Sale of horses belonging to John Askwith, higgler who is retiring- Friday 11 July 1851

Thieves entered the property of the late John Askwith on Friars Lane.. -Friday 19 September 1851

sale of property on Friars Lane in Lincoln "now in the occupation of Mrs. Askwith, and upon which Property the business of a Higgler was for many years carried on by her and her late husband. The Property is offered for sale by direction of the Trustee for sale, under the will of the late Mr. Askwith......". - Friday 11 June 1852

The news cuttings suggest it was a big property with 6 bedrooms, stabling for 10 horses, piggery, covered sheds and storage for several wagons, the horse sale names 5 heavy horses and mentions three large, nearly new carts and various other heavy duty items. He seems to be a bit more than a rag and bone man.

I've found a John in 1851, boarding in Brant Broughton, married but occ noted as Carrier so not sure if it's the right man. His wife Elizabeth is in Friars Lane, married, higglers wife.

The only death refs in county are 1841 and 1856, the latter would fit for age as the two census returns I have suggest he was born around 1811 but obviously 1856 is too late for the news cuttings. The two others on freebmd in the 1840's are York and Hull, too early and the ages are way off. There's nothing on FMP about the will, the cemetery opened about the time he died and no mention of him in the burial transcripts. I've tried a few variations of the spelling but I'm stumped.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Have you tried variant spellings like asquith?

is it possible to ask the lincoln register office if they have a local entry for the death?

Comment

Lincs Reg Services could probably do a search but he's a really distant twiglet and not mentioned in anything transcribed by the FHS after the baptism of the last child apart from the census. The family they married into twines in and out of another family line and has the odd confrontation with another of my lines. I'll probably just settle for the news cuttings as I've got his wife from 1861 onwards consistently in Mint Lane, Lincoln and widowed.

I've tried a variety of variant spellings, wildcards and soundex but no luck. I can't even find anything in the PCC wills which seems odd given the newspaper details.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
      X