Statistics and Family Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statistics and Family Tree

Who doesn’t love a good statistic. Here I have analysed naming patterns, birth patterns, marriage patterns and a whole lot more! So many amazing facts and figures I was amazed with some of the answers.

A lot of our family tree is based on numbers, we are obsessed with them, birth dates, marriage dates, death dates and census returns. Thanks to the wonders of technology, we can now crunch these nu…
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Interesting to see these, as figures are something I look at in my own tree - for instance I am quite intrigued at the way that some people have very short times between generations, where as in my tree the gaps are quite large. For instance, had he still been alive, my mothers grandfather would have been 98 when she was born.

One thing that confused me on your figures though was the ages when marrying , wife much older. If this is the same marriage, you have the husband aged 2 when he married, with the wife 22 years older, but the box says that she was 19 when she married, which would have made the marriage 2 years before the groom was born - or am I reading it wrong and it is 2 separate marriages?
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I love all these statistics. Must think about doing something with all of my family
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
        Interesting to see these, as figures are something I look at in my own tree - for instance I am quite intrigued at the way that some people have very short times between generations, where as in my tree the gaps are quite large. For instance, had he still been alive, my mothers grandfather would have been 98 when she was born.

One thing that confused me on your figures though was the ages when marrying , wife much older. If this is the same marriage, you have the husband aged 2 when he married, with the wife 22 years older, but the box says that she was 19 when she married, which would have made the marriage 2 years before the groom was born - or am I reading it wrong and it is 2 separate marriages?
        I deliberately left that bit out, for some reason it has the wrong Joseph Richard Lukes connected to Alice Foster. The correct one was born in 1863. The Joseph Richard Lukes that has been attached here is in fact their son. No idea why the programme has done that, they are clearly two separate people on my tree.

I was never a numbers guy before doing this, now I am getting a bit obsessed.

Comment

I have become a bit OCD now, it’s highly addictive

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
          I love all these statistics. Must think about doing something with all of my family

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post

I deliberately left that bit out, for some reason it has the wrong Joseph Richard Lukes connected to Alice Foster. The correct one was born in 1863. The Joseph Richard Lukes that has been attached here is in fact their son. No idea why the programme has done that, they are clearly two separate people on my tree.

I was never a numbers guy before doing this, now I am getting a bit obsessed.
            Thank you for explaining that it makes sense now! I have also had it where the programme goes haywire and attaches random people to each other. Quite often I need to completely detach and delete people before re-entering them to get it to work properly.
            Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post

Thank you for explaining that it makes sense now! I have also had it where the programme goes haywire and attaches random people to each other. Quite often I need to completely detach and delete people before re-entering them to get it to work properly.
              I actually did that, deleted the individual and re-entered his details and it did the same, so I gave up. Very frustrating I hope you enjoyed the blog

Comment

That was a really interesting read, Paul
                Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                  That was a really interesting read, Paul
                  Thanks garden girl, its not something that I normally gravitate to myself, but I found it really fascinating

Comment

Were all those statistics directly from FTM or did you have to ‘tweak’ them? I use Family Historian now but I still have FTM on my computer so I might have a look. I wonder if there are similar things on FH.
                    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

A lot of the statistics came from the website MyHeritage, I have a subscription with them and the rest came from Family Tree Maker.

Comment

Statistics fascinate me.

I have Family Tree Maker 2019. However I have looked both in the Manual and under the Help tab but cannot see anywhere where I can even get close to finding such statistics.

Or is it with a plug-in?

Of course as soon as one adds more information, those statistics are out of date but now am intrigued, please where in FTM did you find any such information?

Comment

A lot of the data comes from the MyHeritage site, I have a subscription with them, the remaining I have collated from family tree maker myself.

Comment

Thankyou. Food for thought!

Comment

Working...
                            X