No announcement yet.

4th Great Grandparents Brick Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PhotoFamily I have thought about the moving and yes they civil war was most likely the reason they moved around

Comment

PhotoFamily Thanks for finding that church I'll go look through the film and see If any luck is found.

Comment

kylejustin I do know German church records and nice and full of info, I have had better luck with German ancestors on other sides of my family and was able to get back to the 1500s with some parish records.

Comment

So there are no other people with the same surnames in the same places your family lived in?

Comment

Or marriages in the same places you have come across with the surnames of interest?

even if you can't make a connection between the names, if you can work out if they all seem to come from a specific town or region, then yours likely did too.

Comment

kylejustin nobody of similar names that I can connect have not been found

Comment

keldon PhotoFamily kylejustin
                On the 1860 census I notices the spelling of Gresler or Grisler, I have ideas on German spellings for that name I have been able to find

Grissler
                Grißler
                Griesler
                Gräßler
                Grassler
                Grässle
                Gräßle Griessler
                Gressler

Comment

PhotoFamily I had no luck finding John and Margarets marriage in the St Marys microfilm.

Comment

I was hoping to find a Galveston directory, but the earliest that FS has (and not online) is 1856, which I think is too late for your peeps
                    https://www.familysearch.org/search/...tory%20Library
                    but will check to see if any others might be online. A directory might have him or her listed, as well as a list of Catholic churches in the area.

Passenger list for your wish list (unless you've already looked)
                    https://www.familysearch.org/search/...tory%20Library

FS's wiki mentions this site for passenger lists
                    https://www.galvestonhistory.org/sit...ation-database

but that online database didn't give me anything across a couple of years for a few different spellings.

FS's wiki has a page about immigration thru Galveston - I had no idea it was such a port of immigration!
                    https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...nd_Immigration

Have you looked at NARA's online immigration records?
                    Our website was redesigned, and many items have moved during the transition. But we have some ways of helping you locate the information you're looking for:

Comment

PhotoFamily It's also possible they arrived here before 1850.

Comment

One of the many things to keep in mind about US censuses (until recent ones, that is) - the enumerator wrote the information down, not the resident. Enumerators were not required to ask for name spellings, either, and didn't necessarily speak the language of the resident being enumerated. Mangled names, especially for residents who immigrated from non-English speaking countries, are very common. Plus their name may have been anglicized on arrival or soon thereafter.

Earliest online directory I've found is 1859.

So, we didn't find a transcribed baptism in the St Mary's records for John William, nor their marriage. Makes me wonder if they were in a town near Galveston, but not Galveston proper. I'm also suspicious that they married in the old country.

What about Margaret's Holland birthplace? That just doesn't seem to be a random error on the part of the enumerator, who correctly wrote down John's birthplace. If they were really from two different countries/regions, it seems less likely that they knew each other in the old country, and therefore would have married in the new.

Comment

Originally posted by KristleyBrickWall View Post
                          PhotoFamily It's also possible they arrived here before 1850.
                          Yes. I think it's the 1900 census that Margaret says she arrived in 1850, but I always consider arrival dates and even naturalization dates (if they did) to be approximations. Also, I don't think she was the one answering questions in 1900, so who know what the Head of Household knew.

Comment

As kylejustin is alluding to - finding a sib for either of them would be ideal, that's why I'd like to find a directory or their passenger list. Seeing who else is in the household or traveling on the same boat with the same surname can provide leads.

Have you connected with any of the descendants of their other children? Sometimes collective knowledge can answer questions - if you were very lucky, someone would have the family Bible.

Comment

PhotoFamily I have not connected to descendants of John's other children, Margaret's obituary said she arrived in 1847 however I'm guessing its incorrect and she likely arrived here between 1840-1855. I noticed The Holland birthplace and that does make it likely they married in Texas.

Comment

Better hope they married in germany in all honesty! American records are so basic, and patchy at that stage, you'll be lucky if place of origin or parents are mentioned in a marriage record. A german record of that time period would give you father's names and occupations at the least, possibly mother's names too depending on the region. Some places even make notes on the records, stating a couple emmigrated on their marriage, or a note on their birth stating which town they moved too in a nearby region.

in my experience it was quite rare of people to emmigrate from germany on their own. In the passenger lists to australia i have seen, most people emmigrate with parents/spouse/kids, and an adult unmarried sibling might come with a sibling's family.

Comment

kylejustin I hope to find town of origin, I have had no luck with any immigration records yet. I too hope they married in Germany, I have done German research on other parts of my family and those records were wonderfully detailed.

Comment

Working...
                                  X