Strange pattern in baptismal records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange pattern in baptismal records

I'm trying to make sense of a group of related families in Moray, and have come across a strange feature - at least, it's one I've not seen before.
    About half of the baptismal records I've found this afternoon have witnesses with the same forename as the child...has anyone seen this before?

It's a whimsical question, rather than one needing a deep answer, but I thought it interesting! Here they are:

13 Sep 1713. James Cuming in Gorrochrosh(?) had his lawful son baptised called William. Witnesses: William Miller in Bellnain & William Buyne(?) in Bellavlair. Edinkillie

9 Aug 1752. James Cuming in Tullidivy had his lawful son James baptised. Witnesses: James Fyre(?) in Downduff and James Millert in Tillidivy. Edinkillie
    12 Apr 1753. James Cuming in Longley had his lawful son Alexander [baptised]. Witnesses: Alexander Cuming of Loggie Esqr & Alexander Moarin(?) in Forlin(?). Edinkillie
    6 Sep 1755. James Cuming Society Schoolmaster in Tullidivy had his lawful son Patrick baptised. Witnesses: Doctor Patrick Cuming Professor in Edinr & Patrick Cuming son to James Cuming Esqr of Rug. Edinkillie
    14 Dec 1757. James Cuming in Tillydivy had his lawful son William baptised. Witnesses: William Fraser & William Cuming. Edinkillie
    16 May 1760. James Cuming in Tillidivy had his lawful son James baptised. Witnesses: James Cuming in Sluie and James Barron in Carnoch. Edinkillie
    18 Nov 1764. James Cumming in Tillidivy had his lawful son Donald baptised. Witnesses: Donald Grant in Poldo & Donald Miller in Tilliglens. Edinkillie
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Never seen anything like that in my puff before. Maybe it was a wee eccentricity of the minister? Can you find a page in the register where everybody has the same named witnesses?

Comment

Is it possible they are the godfathers? British baptism records don't generally record godparents, but in ireland and europe they do. The absence of godmother's makes it odd, but not unheard of for children to have multiple godparents. Or the priest was a bit patriarchal....i notice the mother is also absent from the records.

Comment

I've read somewhere that back in the day it was common for children to be named for one of the godparents, in the hope that the child would in future get "helped" by the godfather.

Could that be an extension of that practise???
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Is it perhaps like the wedding witnesses, who witnessed lots of marriages in a parish? Or simply a very unimaginative population.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts.. The population certainly was unimaginative, but I don't think it's that - it's too frequent. The witnesses change every baptism - even if the baptisms were on the same day - so it's not that they were 'professional' witnesses. It feels like they deliberately looked for friends and relations who already had that name, perhaps almost by way of recognising their friends and relations - "our child is named after you".

Anyway, an interesting feature, whatever the reason!
            Kind regards,
            William

Comment

wulliam Did you spot that apart from the first two dates and the last one, at least one of the witnesses also has the same family surname of Cuming?

Comment

Yes - they (we!) were the dominant family in the area from about 1200, and there are still numerous people of the name there.
                My grandfather came from the area and I've just got my Y-DNA results back, with fascinating results
                The chances are that most of the Cumings listed were relatives of each other, but I'm trying to disentangle the various families...great fun!
                Kind regards,
                William

Comment

Next thing ye’ll be tellin’ me ye’re descended fae the Red Comyn

Comment

Believe it or not, I think I am! Or, at least, from a close relative of his.
                    Kind regards,
                    William

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                      Believe it or not, I think I am! Or, at least, from a close relative of his.
                      Aye, it’s a wee world right enough It would be great if you finally get the proof

Comment

Working...
                      X