Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Register

Hi
    I am looking for my Mother In law in the 1939 register, born 1929 and still living (hence no name), but cannot find her. I can find her Mother and twin brothers but she is not with them. At that time she would have been 10 years of age. I also cannot find her brother, John Richard Cross born 1920, now deceased) but at that time he had possibly been called up for the Army or was in the reserves. If someone was in the army/reserves would they still be recorded. I have searched on Ancestry where I have my subscription. Any suggestions, as to how I can find either of them?

Many thanks

If she is still living her entry will be redacted and you won’t be able to find it. If there is no black line where she ought to be with her family, then she may have been away from home then as an evacuee which makes it almost impossible to find her. Have you asked her where she was in 1939? My mother and her younger brother were both away from home, I assume as evacuees, but both are now deceased and neither ever mentioned being evacuated. I think maybe it wasn’t a good experience and they went back home but were away for long enough to be recorded in the different place in the 1939 register.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Thank you for your response. She was evacuated, several times, but even in the areas she was evacuated to, she does not appear. She is definitely not a redacted record with he remainder of her family. I will have to ask her again if she can remember all of the places she was evacuated to. Her main story is that one of the couples wanted to adopt her but her Mother wasnt having any of it and promptly took her back to London

Comment

Can she remember their names maybe? Or their children’s names?
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

someone on here was looking for her father and he and his siblings were all in the same village but all with different families, so she may not necessarily in the same household. I assume that was likely as can't be many family home that could take in 2 , 3 or even 4 children.

have you found the other siblings?
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 31-03-21, 18:19.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Just to piggyback on to this, If I'm allowed? It's so I don't have to start a thread. How often is the 1939 register updated? My grandad died in 1995 and I know where his mum, aunt and grandmother are and I'm sure he's one of the redacted names and other than go through the process of requesting it to be opened with death certificates etc, is there an easier way?

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              someone on here was looking for her father and he and his siblings were all in the same village but all with different families, so she may not necessarily in the same household. I assume that was likely as can't be many family home that could take in 2 , 3 or even 4 children.

have you found the other siblings?
              My MIL had three siblings all older than herself. The elder two (twins) were at the home address with the Mother and Stepfather (father being dead). Her other elder brother John Richard Cross (deceased) born 1920 was either in the Army or the Reserves and I can find no trace of him either.

The couple that she referred to who wanted to adopt her had no other children and as I have said as soon as her Mother found it she was very quickly brought back to London!

Comment

Originally posted by Nora View Post
                Just to piggyback on to this, If I'm allowed? It's so I don't have to start a thread. How often is the 1939 register updated? My grandad died in 1995 and I know where his mum, aunt and grandmother are and I'm sure he's one of the redacted names and other than go through the process of requesting it to be opened with death certificates etc, is there an easier way?
                Short of providing the information required it looks like the 100 year from birth rule is being applied as they haven't got a proven date of death available.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

the 1939 register was a few weeks after war was declared, so it is very likely to be the first place that she was evacuated,

some info about it here:
                  https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ptember%201939.

as she would have been evacuated on her own, as you have located all others you won't be able to find her whilst she is redacted. You could try searching in newspapers if she has a unique name and you have an inkling roughly where she is. I don't know but do wonder if several of her school friends would go to the same place, maybe she might remember one of those?

Nora the registers are updated on a regular basis, my guess if the death was back in 1995 it possibly won't change without a nudge or maybe when they are 100 years old? I think they have to get the name a dob transcribed to match the death, so if transcription or details.

info from fMP here https://www.findmypast.co.uk/blog/ge...family-history

sorry took me a long time to post...crossed with Glen
                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 31-03-21, 21:04.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

sorry meant to say military are not on 1939 register

1. What are these records? The 1939 Register provides a snapshot of the civilian population of England and Wales just after the outbreak of the Second World War. As the 1931 census for England and Wales was destroyed by fire during the Second World War and no census was taken in 1941, the Register provides […]
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

you can request the record on their behalf

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Just checked for my adoptive dad and he's probably a redacted record though he died 15 years ago. When I registered his death I gave the details he had used for years on official documents, a few weeks later I found a copy of his short birth cert that showed a different dob to the one we had always known. He had used the date of registration instead of the date of birth for some reason. The listed family seem to be way off from the birth index too as only one appears to be the correct year unless they were just terrible at registering them.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I'll look into getting it opened but I doubt I'd gain anymore information I don't already have about him from it. It'd just be nice to see, if that makes sense. Thank you though

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I am planning to visit my MIL today so will ask her some further questions but might have to wait for a few days for the response whilst she has a think. Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
                            X