Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on studying a small village, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must have been a single person because there's no one else listed in the household. If I wasn't at serious risk of getting completely side-tracked, I would go and look in the newspapers and see what was going on then locally.

Must stay focussed
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

One of my rural relations popped up miles from home on one census, I googled the history of the town he was in and it turns out there was a fair annually on that day.

Comment

Any thoughts on what these two occupations are? Line roller? Late servant?

1861 census occupations snip.JPG
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

When I was indexing a page of the US 1940 census, I found a page of people staying at a hotel. The information that was asked for wasn't necessarily available to the person who filled out the page, so some of it was incorrect. Then the whole page was X'd out, as US census is based on your usual residence, not where you were traveling.

When I contacted the help center, asking what to do, they advised that I should scrap the page as no recordable records (because the had been crossed out). Sad. These peeps probably were recorded where they lived, but wouldn't it be interesting, possibly enlightening, to know where they were?

Comment

He's a gardener's labourer on the 1851 and 1871 though that's not a lot of use for what you are asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
              He's a gardener's labourer on the 1851 and 1871 though that's not a lot of use for what you are asking.
              who is?

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post

who is?
                The person you were asking about in the entry you couldn't read.

Comment

Working...
                X